NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 04-21-2012, 08:58 AM
$cotty @.utin

Default 48 Leaf Set

Hi all,
I'm looking to start this set and curious to get people's advice. I'd like to shoot for a PSA 6 set but not sure if this is a pipe dream. What's people advice on this goal? How about buying raw and hitting a Psa 6 or better on subs?

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football
Old 04-21-2012, 10:25 AM
Jeff P

'48 Leaf is a great set. I started it raw and have been upgrading slowly while also finishing it. I need 8 high numbers to complete the set in raw/graded form. In general, it's tough to find some of the high numbers and even tougher if they are graded high. As an example, Ray Evans (#72) has commanded the following prices recently on ebay: PSA 7.5 - $905, PSA 6 - $511, PSA 6 - $510.

Several members of N54 (you know who you are!) have sets listed in the PSA registry at an average grade of PSA 6 or better so they probably have better insights than I do about completing this set with a high grade.

Any of them lurking out there?

jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by smotan_02 View Post
Hi all,
I'm looking to start this set and curious to get people's advice. I'd like to shoot for a PSA 6 set but not sure if this is a pipe dream. What's people advice on this goal? How about buying raw and hitting a Psa 6 or better on subs?
Old 04-21-2012, 05:58 PM
Joe S
J.oe Squi.res

I hit 75% on this set in PSA 7 and 8, then got really frustrated with what seems to be a flood of trimmed leafs slipping past PSA's ever so strict grading criteria. I sold quite a few off a month ago and will probably sell the rest of the higher graded cards next month and start it over in PSA 6 or so.

It is one of the most doctored sets out there because of the variance in sizes, so educate yourself and be wary of higher grades in newer flips.

PSA 6 would be pretty easy to accomplish to be honest, the first series would go quick, the middle 50's and second series will take you some time to find nicely centered.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:16 PM
$cotty @.utin

Thanks for the great advice. That was partly why I want to buy graded as the set seems to lend itself to trimming more so than any other set Ive collected.

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football
Old 04-21-2012, 10:00 PM
Carl Lamendola

I think its a nice set, but I can remember I could buy the whole set for what people are paying for one high grade card! Its nice to get some of the variations. I actually got PSA to recongize them -- white letters, etc. but its gotten a little out of hand. The Gorgeous George is tough. The white backs are real tough too. A display box recently sold at Legendary, the wrapper is nice too.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:56 PM
Joe S
J.oe Squi.res

Carl, do you remember seeing that 48 leaf display box at the Dreier museum? Scott A just bought that, great pickup.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:50 PM
$c0tt A1p@ug.h

The set is a classic, but lately has become a landmine. I'm looking to find upgrades, but I'm looking to upgrade the cards, not the flips.

My primary focus now is on the White Backgrounds and finding a friggin' wrapper (anyone that can provide images would be greatly appreciates).

The toughest thing is staying away from the influx of "mini's" that have been coming on the market with increased frequency. Learn the two different sized holders commonly used (I'm not counting the oversized ones with the mylar baggie). A mini almost looks legit in the smaller holder. I'll dig out my notes and post a little more in detail about the two holders typically used for the issue.

Thanks for the kinds words about the box, Joe. I really love that thing!!!

Collecting: 1948 Leaf Football Master Set (PSA 7 or better - PSA 6 or better for High Numbers), 1948 Leaf Football White Backgrounds, 1948 Leaf Football On-card Autographs, Wire Photos or Original Photos depicting images used for the 1948 Leaf Football issue -- circa 1880-1909 Football cabinets