NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-08-2014, 02:44 AM

Default Collecting the 1934 Goudey set?

The 1934 Goudey set.
This is another side project I was thinking about starting. Now, it looks as though collecting each card one at a time is something that can be done for this set. I was thinking about going low grade. How would I approach this, if I was in no rush to complete it, each card one by one is doable. Would you guys recommend getting maybe a starter lot first. Of the 96 cards, should I knock out the big ones first (HOF) or the high numbers first or leave the Gehrigs last. Also another thing that can be done that I was thinking is getting only 1 of the Gehrigs, mind you the set is not complete, but atleast one of the Gehrigs is in, so that player is represented.
Just wondering what everybody's views on this set is, what is other's experience when putting together a 1934 goudey set.
It looks like I am at the point where I am starting several sets at once, but since collecting can be lifetime journey I can take me time and start filling in my projects here and there, certainly adds some variety.
At this point, I am in the thinking stage of this set on whether to start it or not.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:59 AM
Br1@n L1ndh0lm3

Default Gehrig

My take on this set is to get the Gehrig card or cards first. (At least the pose you like best).

For any of the sets with a very high value card or two in it, your success is going to be based on those biggies.

For example, if you said you had an almost complete set of 34 G 's the first thing fellow collectors are going to ask is "How are your Gehrigs?"

I think it would be cool to be looking for just the right Eldon Auker or even Chuck Klein than to be stuck looking for the right Lou Gehrig(s) price/grade fit for completion.

You might lose steam towards the end if you wait for all the bigger cards until last and potentially they might increase in price over the years.
Start big, fill in whenever posible and end with a triumphant but not major expensive card!

Its a cool set , especially when displayed all together. Best of luck in your quest!

Brian L
Familytoad
Ridgefield, WA

Hall of Fame collector.
Prewar Set collector.
Topps Era collector.
1971 Topps Football collector.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:04 AM
Steven H.

I just started the 34 set the beginning of the year. Collecting SGC graded 60+ cards. A fellow collector said working on HOFers first is a good idea. This comes from the fact that if commons rise in price the HOFers are going to rise faster.

I set myself a card total goal for the year. I'm collecting this set along with a few other type sets. The cards are pretty easy to come by, so you can be picky about how you want your set to present. Keep an eye on realized prices from auctions so you pay what they're worth and not what someone wants for them. I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pre-1950 Cuban Cards: Focus on Billiken, Macionales, & Aguilitas
Old 02-08-2014, 05:10 AM
Steven

Goudeys are great.

I guess I do sets a little differently and just looks for the best deals I can, while I'm doing that I tend to scout prices on higher cards. The thing about getting a Gehrig first is you are hundreds of dollars into the set with only card and changing your mind now is a little tougher, plus its harder to gauge the sale as you are still fairly wet behind the ears to set. This was my first pre-war set and there are a ton of HOFers in there, plus Mr. Gehrig of course.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:37 AM
Rob G.

I think '34 Goudey is an attractive set. Here are a couple of low grade HOFer examples ...

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 011_Waner_(2337).jpg (77.0 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg 012_Hubbell_(2336).jpg (77.3 KB, 134 views)
Old 02-08-2014, 07:20 AM
Arnie

I wouldnt put a specific time to get Gehrig. I would constantly be sorting Ebay and other places on "1934 Goudey" and if a Gehrig comes up with the right combination of price and condition for you, buy it. If not, keep buying other cards until one does. I will tell you, sooner or later you will find the right one, so dont limit yourself to buying it right now or not until the end. Thats my opinion.

I will say that i would consider the set incomplete without both Gehrigs. However, in the 1933 Goudey set, i collect Yankee cards, and i only have one of the two Gehrigs and i consider my Yankee team set complete for the reason that these two Gehrigs are virtually identical, and i refuse to pay the money to have two identical expensive cards of Gehrig. But in the end, its your collection, and its what YOU think and what YOU want to do. There is no right or wrong in collecting, whether it relates to what cards you want or when you want to buy them.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:49 AM
Jesse

WELCOME!!!

So looking to jump into the 34 Goudey Set. I myself started this set just this past year. I myself am looking for a PSA 6 or above so a lil more difficult to locate cards from time to time for reasonable prices. I know your looking for a lower grade set which to me is a bit easier to do. I read the other posts above and everyone has there own opinion on how to start a set. None of them are wrong its all on your preference.

I myself when doing my set I first set a goal for the year. This year I planned on completing half my set and including the #37 Gehrig. I feel if you give yourself a goal to hit you try a bit harder to achieve it.

As for buying a starter set that never worked for me because of the price plus I like the chase of finding all the cards myself.

Where to start, well I first did a lot of research on the set. First was the pricing, difficulty level, wants by other collectors. There are only a few big names in this set that people want in better shape. Thats the Gehrig's, Greenberg, Foxx, Cuyler,Dean. People will judge the set based on the grades of these cards.

What to buy first is up to you and your wallet. I myself don't like to spend crazy money so i buy the bigger name guys in lower grades and will upgrade them over time this way I am not shelling out $$$ at one time. I buy what I see at good pricing. I hope you enjoy your quest of making the set but if your looking for a starter set there is one for sale in the B/S/T section for a reasonable price. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:16 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

My lone R320 type card. Perfect for my needs and taste. I prefer centering to generally be a little better but his one was a good price and has good eye appeal.
It's a neat set and good luck if you go for it.
BTW, this came from our BST a few years ago.