NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-16-2009, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Default 25 Card Collections

Posted By: Bill

I remember hearing from one, maybe more people, that they had a limited collectionroughly 15-25 cards. I was just curious as to how you decide what you purchase and would be interested to know of any cards currently in your collections. I think it's very interesting with all of the choices out there in pre-war land!

Change your socks, drink water, and drive on.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

Hey Bill - I've been working towards a 25-30 card collection and it's been great. Everyone has their own criterion, and I arrived at a set of rules that give my collection a nice balance between structure and chaos. I started with a list of my favorite pre-war players, and set out to find 1 card for each that I found to be their most aesthetically appealing pose. I then added a few wrinkles, such as, if the player played any significant time with Cleveland, my home town, then the card had to show him on the Cleveland team and also, I only allowed myself 1 card per issue (i.e. only 1 T206). I've had a great time tracking down the cards on the list I came up with and have just about 3 more to go. I also "upgrade" when I get the opportunity if one in nicer condition becomes available.

Of course, as I am nearing the end, things have slowed down and so I created another project, getting a card of every player who participated in the 1911 Addie Joss Memorial game and I'm down to two "tough commons" to complete that project as well.

My Trade/Sale Page

Old 02-16-2009, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

"I then added a few wrinkles..."

Matt, most collectors try to spoon out the wrinkles. happy.gif

Old 02-16-2009, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Barry - clearly I don't care about the technical grade of my collection happy.gif

My Trade/Sale Page

Old 02-16-2009, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Hi Bill,

I am working on two separate collections of 25. The first is Detroiters only (which I've collected for many years), and the second 25 will be At-Large (that I'm only just starting). I have established only very simple criteria for now.

The first is that I get cards I've always liked and sometimes wanted, but that did not fit my Detroit focus. I just picked up a nice T206 Johnson portrait from Barry on the BST this weekend as my first intentional addition to the At-Large collection.

I also want the cards to be either reasonably significant cards or reasonably significant players or both, but this one is not carved in stone. I will probably pick up an E93 Phillippi at some point just because I like that card, as an example.

I'm also becoming more of an appearance snob than I used to be, so fewer cards but better condition will be the third consideration.

I think that making this change represents more hobby experience for me. When I first started collecting, I wouldn't have known which cards were significant or which I even liked. I knew I wanted the Detroiters (and still will keep my Detroit-25 as the major part of my collection), but it took some time to really appreciate the T206 Johnson portrait or Matty White, or the E90-1 Oakes. This collection will allow me to pursue the general hobby interest as well as the more focused Detroit-fan interest.

Good luck. I'll look forward to seeing how it evolves for you.

Joann

Old 02-16-2009, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Thanks! I find it interesting that you two are able to stay focused like this! I'm in the process of trying to heavily minimize my collection and find a solid focus. Thanks again!

Old 02-16-2009, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I have given a lot of thought to trying to cull down to 25-30 of my favorites. Then I start thinking of which ones I would keep and it ends up being about 10x of that number. Then I forget about it. Good debate though...

Old 02-16-2009, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay wolt

Unless space or finances is a factor.
Collect what ya like, be it 25 cards or 25,000.

Many who work on a 25 or 50 card collection seems to specilize
in higher $ cards. I have so many inexpensive cards that mean
something to me like some cards I had when I was a kid.
How can you choose between a card you've had for 40 years over
a Ty Cobb T206 you bought last week, its apples to oranges.
So I would keep both.
Also as a set collector like my Buchner N284's, I have over 50.
So If I choose a 50 card collection, I'd only have Buchners and
would get rid of a lot of other cards I like.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Prizner

If you have 25,000 cards that all mean something special to you, you need to get out more. wink.gif

Old 02-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Leon-

I think I'm in the same boat as you. I don't think I could ever do it. The topic came up with a couple of other folks and I was curious to see again how/why people chose to collect in this fashion.

I do need to find a better focus however.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dstudeba

How can you choose between a card you've had for 40 years over
a Ty Cobb T206 you bought last week

Very, very easy. My '75 Carew would win every time.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Sherman

I plan on finishing the sets I am working on, and trading each set for ONE pre war card preferably in the highest grade possible. In mind I would like my 55 topps set PSA 7/8 for a 33 goudey #181 Ruth in PSA 8, or a 54 red man set in PSa 4/5 for a 48 Leaf robinson in Psa 6 or whatever the $$ comes out to. A t3 set complete from Psa authentic and up for a t3 ty cobb PSA 5 and so forth to get down to a few cards. Then lock them in a safety deposit box and not look at them happy.gif

Old 02-16-2009, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Mt. Joy

I just started a big 30 collection, this is in addition to my set collecting. I really just wanted a grouping of my favorite players that were not in the sets I am collecting. I want to keep them within a certain value range ($500-5000) and only one card from any issue. I wanted to avoid the random buying that I have done in the past, lol. This helps me focus on quality cards I want but some flexabilty to get cards I like. I only plan to add 2-3 cards a year, mainly because of budget and Im really in no hurry, my set collecting is a bit higher on my priorties.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

I too have thought about doing this...but haven't been able to. It seems that most of us can't! It seems that most on this board who have a nifty 50...or a 25 alive collection...have this in addition to the rest of their collection.

To me this kinda defeats the purpose of it...totally?! What's the point? I guess it's all psychological?!

Old 02-16-2009, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Peter - for me it's definitely psychological - I need to feel like there are some parameters around what I collect - otherwise there's just too much out there.

My Trade/Sale Page

Old 02-16-2009, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Mt. Joy

I agree totally with Matt, I also need those parameters around what I collect or I end up buying all kinds of stuff and making no progress on my sets/goals, which leads me to frustration. I also do better on ebay and at shows when I have these goals/plans in mind, I can learn as much as I can about the cards I want to purchase and track the sales of them too.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Doug

I just started working on a 25 card collection myself. For me space is an issue (I have a fairly small apartment) and I like to keep my collection small in case I have to sell off anything to cover any unexpected expenses.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve F

Doug, That sounds like a cute, little flat. What's the address again?

Old 02-17-2009, 07:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

I like the idea of a limited number of cards in a set. I'm afraid it might be a little too late for me.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Old 02-17-2009, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Jim, that is awesome. Sick, but awesome. I'm glad you shared some of your psychological underpinnings with us. happy.gif

Old 02-17-2009, 07:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

Jeff,

Thanks, but I needed an intervention about 25 years ago.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:40 AM
Administrator

So, you have a 25 album collection happy.gif

My Trade/Sale Page

Old 02-17-2009, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

I couldn't help but noticing a very fat 1939 Goudey Premium binder. Why don't you be a sport and scan all of those and let us see them?