NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-13-2005, 09:17 AM
Administrator

Default 1924-25 Dominion Chocolate. Baseball cards DO exist!

Posted By: Eric

A few months ago a friend of mine that does vintage card research, found a 1925 advertisement for Dominion Chocolate. This isn't all that uncommon, but this particular ad had a baseball theme to it..and advertised the card set that came out in '24/25. Now, I've always been told that this issue didn't include any baseball cards..but after looking at the ad, I had second thoughts. Why do a baseball themed ad, if there weren't any baseball cards?

After doing further research, I finally got concrete proof that at least two baseball cards existed in teh 24/25 Dominion set. I recieved scans of two cards through a friend, who obtained them from the current owner. I tried to buy both, but they were not for sale. I also learned that the baseball cards were very difficult to find.

Strangely enough, a couple of weeks ago one of the Dominion baseball cards was auctioned on Ebay. It wasn't sold by the owner who I've seen scans from..but I was happy enough to win the card (below).

Both baseball players from the set are of amateur status. Joe Breen (below) is identified as a "Varsity Baseball Star" in Toronto, on the backside of the card. The other player in the set played for an organized Toronto team called the Oslers, which I'm guessing was semi-pro. These cards are not yet cataloged, so I'm wondering if other baseball cards from the set exist? I've posted this info on my website as well:

www.freewebs.com/goudeyhunter/

If you have any further info about the '24/25 Dominion set, please email me. Thanks.

Eric

Old 10-13-2005, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

I have a couple of the football/rugby cards from this issue and would be interested in a complete list of all subjects. Does one exist?

Old 10-13-2005, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: identify7

What other vintage sets have varsity or semi-pro players shown?

Old 10-13-2005, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

Cresent Ice Cream and Honey Boys picture named players. Then there's SF Hess Newboys, Sub Rosa women, Murad college cards/silks...

Old 10-13-2005, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric

The set contains a bevy of Canadian athletes and athletic teams. I'm not aware of a checklist, but I have a friend who's going to try and assemble one. I think most baseball card collectors think of the Dominion as a hockey card set, as it has many hockey cards in it. I'd like to think that more than two different baseball cards exist.

E.

Old 10-14-2005, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

The problem with the Dominion cards is they list all the sports the person played. Just because the list baseball, does that make it a baseball card. In Eric's case, it looks like the player is in a baseball jersey. But one card shows a player in a hockey sweater - even though he played baseball, I don't consider that a baseball card. Here's another Dominion - is this a baseball card, or is the jersey LaCrosse???

A couple more college or semi-pro issues: Yale Stamps and '30s Vancouver Amatuer League (card pictured below:)

Old 07-09-2012, 04:44 PM
Chuck Zso.lnai

Default 1925 Dominion Chocolates

If any one has a complete list, I would be interested in any SOCCER cards that may be in the set.

In addition, if anyone has ANY pre-war cards from Canada that feature soccer players or teams, i would be most grateful for the information.

Since the majority of leagues were playing in Toronto, Ontario and Montreal, Quebec, here are a few champions I am interested in:

Toronto Scottish
Toronto Ulster United
Montreal Carsteel
Montreal CNR

Thanks for all the research and details on these forums .
Old 07-09-2012, 05:58 PM
Rhett Yeakley

I keep track of these cards and according to my checklists I do not recall seeing any soccer-specific cards in the two V31 Dominion Chocolate sets, there are some "All-Around" Canadian athletes but none that are soccer specific. However, in the V122 Willard's Chocolate set there are a pair of soccer cards featuring the foloowing players...
54 Bobby Lavery Star of Soccer Centre Forwards
55 William Sim Star Soccer Centre Half

I have not done any research into these two guys to know if they were Canadian or prominent European players as that same set features random "Sports Champions" from around the world, but the set is Canadian in origin.

Anyways, I hope this helps.
-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562

Last edited by rhettyeakley; 07-09-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:21 PM
J.
Jonathan Rys.kamp

Default OT: Other Vintage Soccer Cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhettyeakley View Post
I keep track of these cards and according to my checklists I do not recall seeing any soccer-specific cards in the two V31 Dominion Chocolate sets, there are some "All-Around" Canadian athletes but none that are soccer specific. However, in the V122 Willard's Chocolate set there are a pair of soccer cards featuring the foloowing players...
54 Bobby Lavery Star of Soccer Centre Forwards
55 William Sim Star Soccer Centre Half
Rehtt,

I know this is off topic, but do you or others on the board know of any other US soccer cards printed before 1970?

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2012, 08:15 PM
Chuck Zso.lnai

Default canadian soccer

Both Laverty and Sim were amateur players in the Ontario League (Canada).

There was no sustained professional US soccer leagues after WWII until 1967.

The North American Soccer League (NASL) began a year later. The earliest player cards from the NASL I know of were in 1974.

If anyone has a a Sim or Laverty card, please let me know.

Thanks