NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 05-28-2013, 07:35 PM

Default 1952 mantle topps

Hey guys I'm new to the site and new to vintage. I'm looking to make my first purchase a big one. I would like a 1952 topps mantle but I'm not really sure on what's a good price. Looking for psa 3-5. Any help on estimation on price would be appreciated. This is my first post on this site, but I've been following for some time and must say everyone seems nice, unlike other sites out there. Thanks
Old 05-28-2013, 07:49 PM

Some will say PSA's price guide, which you can find through google. Others will suggest a subscription to VPN.

Personally I like to view auction histories at ebay or heritage auctions.

But, I would STRONGLY caution against buying the Mantle yet. Honestly, if you don't know what one is worth, or where to find priceguides for it, you aren't ready to buy it. This card is worth several used cars, and that's for AVERAGE examples.

It is a card is one that demands great study and education into the diagnostics, because you CAN get burned. I've seen half a dozen ebay auctions selling obvious fakes, with unscrupulous bidders posting thousands of dollars for something not worth the paper it's printed on.

You can't trust PSA or SGC holders, because they can be cracked, and you've gotta know what to spot.

But if you're really adamant about getting this card, buy in person if at all possible. Go to the National (it's in the suburbs of Chicago this August if I remember correctly) and you'll find one there. Failing that, buy from an established seller, like Heritage Auctions or Memorylane or Mile High. Or there are a few ebayers I recommend. Probstein or Prewarcardcolletor are both tops as far as vintage goes. Also 707sportcards, though I think their stuff is vastly overpriced.

But please, think twice about this card. Try buying a few others '52s first. Gain experience knowing what a legit 52 card looks like. Because once you do, a fake will never fool you, because the four color offest process used back then just CAN'T be replicated by forgers today and their inkjet printers. They are out to get the ignorant, and if you educate yourself you'll never be had.

You ought not to rush. This is a card some collectors spend their whole careers building up to, and it's for a reason. It demands careful selection, after having spent a great deal of time studying the series and knowing exactly what you're buying, and from whom.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:38 PM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

I would also suggest to take your time and learn more about them (there are 2 types to this card).

I purchased my 52 Topps Mantle type 2 (both types are the same price in all grades) this year in PSA 4 BUT waited years to find the perfect one (looks super strong for the grade and I had ZERO problems with the seller) from a reputable dealer (Leon's friend)...I paid 13 000$ for it.

I can understand you want this card really bad we all do or did...but at this price level it is not a rush game you MUST be patient and find the one that is right for you. You can buy nice looking 3's, 4's or 5's or ugly ones in the same exact grades. For a nice 3 expect to pay 9000$ to 10 000$, for a nice 4 expect to pay 12 000$ to 15 000$ and for a nice 5 well that is a LOT more...there is one on Ebay right now at 45 000$ with a best offer option...for me this card is way to off centered for my liking (but the rest of the card looks great....many 52 topps Mantles have centering problems)...but gives you a idea of value at this grade level (http://www.ebay.ca/itm/1952-Topps-31...565c988)...the seller is also very well known and can be trusted he may be able also to locate a nice one for you...his name is Brian!!!

Finally 52 Topps Mantle cards are NOT rare and can be found...now the thing is finding a nice one for a descent price and the most important from a well known dealer. I would suggest the same dealer who sold me mine...TonyEtrade...here is is link to his website (he is a well known dealer that deals in high end cards and can be trusted): http://www.tonyetrade.com/

Make sure you have ZERO regrets with the card you are buying this is a LOT of money for most people. Buy one that has no creases that is well centered with strong colors and with better than average corners.

Post # 5

Last edited by Zone91; 05-28-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone91 View Post
I purchased my 52 Topps Mantle type 2 (both types are the same price in all grades) this year in PSA 4 BUT waited years to find the perfect one
As they say, patience is a virtue.

To the OP, you may also try....

CardTarget

and a one day ($4.99?) membership to vintagecardprices is well worth the five bucks.

Both sites not only have pricing, but images, which is key in figuring out why certain cards sell for more in certain grades (based on factors already mentioned in Adrian's Post #5 for today.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:38 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Brianruns...great post...and completely exemplifies my thoughts and journey to this card. I have 35 years of collecting (albeit with a major gap) and the last 7 years have been spent learning to where I am now on the back half of owning every Topps run (yes, Al is my hero) in mid grade (my prefered) and have quietly been putting together a SGC registered 52 Topps set. The Mantle, by choice, will be my final stamp, and I feel I have a lot to learn, and am getting close. I am fortunate, I am blessed where if I wanted I could simply buy all the cards in one swell swoop...but how is that a journey? It certainly wouldn't keep me at night staring at my binders recollecting all my little victories. Back to the Mantle, looking at past threads here alone reminds me of my ignorance when experts here can pinpoint the curve of the "e" in the signature and so on...I am also a hopeless romantic that out there is a 52 Mantle biding his time and waiting to come to ME...and my son. And I can't wait.

Zone...no offense, but your post and your journey to this card is laughable, and for you to respond with advice is ludicris. I am not normally a jerk like this, and quite frankly I 100% think you are simply an internet troll where the joke will be on everyone here when its discovered you are a clever invention of someone with way too much time on their hands, but that post made me want to puke. I will give you credit, you have found a way to invent a reason to let the world know you have this card on a daily basis. If you truly exist, and you really even have the card, I am jealous...lol. Ok...last and only time I will get sucked into a troll on this site...20 years of being on the internet is laughing at me for even typing this post...

If you do make it your first card...well...that's pretty cool too... Just make sure it's real...

1963 Fleer - 1981-90 Fleer/Donruss/Score/Leaf Complete
1953 - 1990 Topps/Bowman Complete
1953-55 Dormand SGC COMPLETE SGC AVG Score - 4.03
Old 05-28-2013, 11:09 PM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

Harliduck

Simply ask Leon he knows I own the card and that I paid for it in full...his friend sold it to me (just how crazy can YOU be)...I do not know what your comment is all about....but I see jealousy in your eyes!!! I had been looking for one for years...what is so hard to believe!!! I decided in 2013 to collect vintage baseball cards as well but prior to that I had been a card collector since 1989 of cards from the 1950's and up.

Post # 1

Last edited by Zone91; 05-28-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:20 PM
David Pierson
Banned

I believe Adrian, and I like Adrian. He's just 100% pedal to the metal. Dave.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:08 AM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

Cardboard Junkie

Thanks!!!

Post # 2

Last edited by Zone91; 05-29-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 06:12 AM
Al Richter

Default 52 Mantle

Good luck in your quest Only. To see a range of conditions and prices, albeit high prices, see the web site of 707 Sportscards.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:22 AM

Thanks for everyone's reply. I knew that I could come here for helpful ideas. I'm going to the national and I am going to be looking around there. This card is expensive for me(since I'm not rich) ill be taking my time with it. Centering is the biggest concern of mine and won't pull the trigger until I feel comfortable. I have a few other mantles mostly mid grade 5/6/7 but nothing to brag about. I can spot some fakes for the most part but some I have trouble with. I've visited the 707 booth at a few shows, great cards but there prices do seem a little high. Ill be posting more on here, so I look forward to getting to know everybody. Thanks again.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:20 AM
Al Richter

Default 52 Mantle

If you go to the National, 707 will have a large table there and you will likely see more 52 Mantles there than all the other tables combined. Levi Bleam, the owner, will be wearing a large and ugly top hat. He is the most knowledgeable person on the planet about the 52 Mantle. His prices tend to be high but he sells only the real deal. He is friendly and if you tell him about your quest he may have some insights for you. I got both of mine through him, one of each "version" as Adrian put it. It, along with the Thompson and Robinson, was a double printed card on the same sheet and has subtle differences on the front and back
Old 05-29-2013, 08:22 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardboard Junkie View Post
I believe Adrian, and I like Adrian. He's just 100% pedal to the metal. Dave.
Adrian (hi Adrian) reminds me of a Spider Monkey all hopped up on Mountain Dew ......but I think he is real and he is mostly harmless. His intentions have been good but he needs to take it easy a little bit....

And to the OP...take your time on the '52 Mantle. They aren't hard to obtain and eventually, when you are seriously looking for one, you will find a nice one for the price you want to pay. My only advice is to be patient. It reminds me of my T205 Cobb purchase. I looked for one for 10 yrs that fit the bill....and there are tons of them for sale....but eventually, this one had my name on it (so to speak)... If you are patient you will find Mantle with these kinds of attributes....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pt205cobb2.jpg (60.2 KB, 117 views)
Old 05-29-2013, 08:56 AM
Nobody
Adri@n Mullig@n

Leon ''Adrian (hi Adrian) reminds me of a Spider Monkey all hopped up on Mountain Dew''

Hahaha that made me laugh this morning!!! By the way SUPER nice Ty Cobb!!!

Post # 3

Last edited by Zone91; 05-29-2013 at 08:57 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:53 AM
Anthøny N. ex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Adrian (hi Adrian) reminds me of a Spider Monkey all hopped up on Mountain Dew ......
This just screams for a Wonka image.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:02 AM

Default 52 Mantle

I have found the prices at 707 to be at the higher end of the price range. However, Levi usually has a pretty good selection of cards. I imagine if you go direct to his web, he will negotiate, but not sure.

I just posted this in another thread that www.cardtarget.com has a section devoted to tracking 1952 Topps sales. Disclaimer - I have no affiliation with the web site or owners.

All the Best,

Z Wheat

Last edited by Zach Wheat; 05-29-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:48 PM
CraigH

I would add that this is a card you should not be looking for a steal with--especially one that is centered. I probably overpaid for my PSA 1(it's really off centered, but relatively clean with not many creases and some minor scuffing), but I wasn't looking for a great deal when I was looking to buy one. To me, it was better to pay a little more from a legitimate source than save $$$ with the risk that it is fake.

There's a website run by Josh Alpert that gives good information on the '52 Mantle. If you put it in the search engine, the site should appear.

Craig H.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:16 AM

As others have said..patience and do shop around...prices vary widely and it's not always tied to the slabbed grade either... a lower grade with better eye appeal will sometimes top higher graded versions by a lot. I got my poor one a long time ago...I don't think I can stomach paying for one now even in this condition... good luck in your search. It will be sweet when you get one!

Ricky Y

Old 05-30-2013, 04:22 AM
Matt Miller

Default Great advice

Welcome to the board, this is a great site chalk full of information. I would echo the one day VCP (vintagecardprices.com) membership. It will allow you to see what cards have sold for publicly and will include scans of the cards so you can see condition, etc.

Leon, that's a great Cobb, and I really enjoy Adrian, I think he brings a ton of well intended energy to the table, which is great to see.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:03 AM

Default Mantle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickyy View Post
As others have said..patience and do shop around...prices vary widely and it's not always tied to the slabbed grade either... a lower grade with better eye appeal will sometimes top higher graded versions by a lot. I got my poor one a long time ago...I don't think I can stomach paying for one now even in this condition... good luck in your search. It will be sweet when you get one!

Ricky Y

Ricky,

Nice looking Mantle even in Poor condition!

Regards,