NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-19-2011, 01:10 PM
Seb Hall

Default Have yall seen this listing.

I'm new on here but a long time collector. Has anyone seen this listing on ebay? http://http://www.ebay.com/itm/Breat...item3cbe8505e5. This listing seems legit. I have crunched numbers to around 7500 dollars in stuff all together. What do yall think. There is nothing super big in the set except maybe the 1968 Ryan graded an 8 but it all adds up nicely.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Seb Hall

heres the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Breathtaking...item3cbe8505e5
Old 11-19-2011, 01:37 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Hal Lewis likes this a lot too and urges everyone to bid strongly on it.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:25 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

I take it the OP owns this lot and is plugging his own listing. Otherwise, he would have bought this lot himself by now.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:40 PM
Seb Hall

Not at all, actually I sold the guy a couple of the cards he has in the lot. I'm just asking if everyone thinks its worth it before I spend that 5000+.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:03 PM
Barry Sloate

That's a lot of work for someone to tally up all those cards for you. Seems like an odd first post.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:11 PM
J@son M1ller

Now you have to buy them to prove you have nothing to do with the sale. Then consign them to an auction house whereby you then pump up the auction with posts like "hey, anyone seen that Ryan Rookie in Legendary?"

The reason we all seem so cynical... is because we are. At least I am.

Last edited by Jaybird; 11-19-2011 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:35 PM
Seb Hall

I don't understand why, If I was trying to plug something dont you think it would go in the B/S/T. So much, for trying to find out what people think about an item. Besides people im in Texas and this guy is up north. Sorry for asking, I thought this place was for talking about the things we love, vintage cards.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:07 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonacus View Post
Besides people im in Texas and this guy is up north.
That was the first thing I noticed too. Just ignore the naysayers. Welcome to the boards. I am very famaliar with El Campo. My fiancee lives in Richmond and we have friends, Chuck and Cathy, that live in El Campo.

As far as the lot goes, I think it would be worth the money if you were purhcasing it for yourself, but not to make money on.
Old 11-19-2011, 04:40 PM
Zach

I love that cigarette ad poster!
Old 11-19-2011, 04:56 PM
Johnny S

Might sell at 3k but even that could be difficult probably better to start at 99 cents and let it ride.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Fred

That's a rather diverse lot of cards. There's absolutely NO break up value in that offering because those cards are fairly common and IF you were lucky enough to break it up and get full book on them you'd still be stuck with the hassle of shipping all of that stuff out.

Seb, if you were wondering if we'd advise buying this lot my guess is that everyone will tell you not to bother. Save your money and buy some cool quality stuff.

I love the following part of the item description: "I need to clear out some space quickly so I have priced this lot to move quickly." I don't think the seller has it priced to "move quickly". If they started the auction at $1K they might get a little action and find out just how much the bidding public really values this lot.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Curt

Silverdale, WA. That is my neck of the woods. I wonder if that person and I have crossed paths before at shop or show?

I always wondered about the pile o' cards scans though. Is this supposed to entice me to bid? The same cards scanned at different angles. 61 Topps Mays cards sitting exposed, carelessly spread out on a pile of cards. Why not just line them up and show everything?

I'm thinking lots like that have to be cheap to begin with (opening bid) because how often does the winning bidder want most or all of what is in a lot like that, enough to pay the full lot premium. Besides, everyone wants to think they'll get a steal and starting a lot like that at a buck will generate lots of bids and the end price will probably still be where it should be, given the content of the lot.

Last edited by mrmopar; 11-20-2011 at 02:09 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:59 AM
Brad

Default Welcome to the board

Hi Seb-
Welcome to the board (sorry for all the cynical posts you had to endure earlier, that's an unfortunate part of this forum sometimes).

At a quick glance, this lot doesn't seem to offer a lot of "stuff" for pre-war collectors. Maybe for someone working on sets from the 1960s (?). But, it's still pretty cool and would be great to have just to sort through it and have some fun. That said, the asking price is WAY TOO HIGH, in my opinion.

I've purchased a few similar lots over the year, but never at this price level. Also, I've never done it with the intention of re-selling them. I've always broken them down for sets I'm working or to assist friends with their sets, but I've never gone about it with the idea of turning them around for a profit.

It's interesting that the seller says they don't believe in "book value", but then later they say: "The FAIR MARKET VALUE of this lot is $6350.47." That's a very exact number from someone who says they don't use a book, but whatever.

That's my two cents. Maybe at $2500 or so it'd be worth it, but I'd stay away from it at the price they're asking. Good luck.