NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-21-2018, 05:11 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default Should I be pissed???

Picked up a 1954 Topps Ted Williams #1 in PSA 6 from Kit Young Cards last week via eBay. Found out today, they can’t find the card and don’t know where it is. Not sure how you lose a $500 card but what a terrible first impression. To their credit they promptly cancelled my purchase but I am not happy right now. This ever happen to anyone else? M@tt McC@rthy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:02 PM
Sam Lemoine

Stuff happens. Kit Young has been in the business for decades. I'm sure this was just an honest mistake. Guys with 30-40 years of selling aren't the type to purposely screw somebody over usually.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:06 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Yes, you can be pissed. I ordered a pallet full of 250 uncut sheets from krukcards one time, and they couldn't locate that in their warehouse. So losing a single card (or selling and forgetting to pull from eBay) is not too surprising.
Not much you can do about it.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:06 PM
Troy Rambo

Disappointed, sure. Pissed? Probably not. It happened to me once on an ebay purchase from a pretty big ebay card seller. I've purchased stuff from them since and no issues. Stuff happens so I'd just roll with it.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:07 PM

It happens, especially if they have a store or also sell at shows. Happened to me once and I got a prompt refund.

Successful sales transactions with jamorton215, gorditadogg, myerburg311, TAFKADixie, jimq16415, Thromdog, CardPadre
Old 12-21-2018, 06:18 PM
Bob Andrews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Falvo View Post
It happens, especially if they have a store or also sell at shows. Happened to me once and I got a prompt refund.
Ditto...I got a refund and a voucher for a future discount. I was disappointed but very few card deals are one time things that will never come along again.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:19 PM
T3d $h3rm@n

Deans card does it all the time, then Relists higher.

I think this was just an honest mistake, I wouldn't be upset

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 12-21-2018, 06:26 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Thanks guys...I figured as much. Guess more disappointed than pissed. Oh well...I’ll find another...Merry Christmas everyone!

I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:30 PM
Steven

I really doubt K Young did anything nefarious and was an honest mistake, Ive never heard of him not following through on a deal. Id be irritated if I thought they did it on purpose, just doubt that's the case here...just means you'll find a better one.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:52 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

Agreed that disappointed would be a better response than pissed. Kit is a good guy and a long time dealer with a huge inventory. I could see him making a mistake like this but totally innocently. I bought my first prewar cards from Kit years ago and was very happy with the deal.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 12-21-2018, 07:03 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
Picked up a 1954 Topps Ted Williams #1 in PSA 6 from Kit Young Cards last week via eBay. Found out today, they can’t find the card and don’t know where it is. Not sure how you lose a $500 card but what a terrible first impression. To their credit they promptly cancelled my purchase but I am not happy right now. This ever happen to anyone else? M@tt McC@rthy
Matt, you can be pissed, a lot of people would definitely be disappointed, but Kit Young has been around a long time and has always been a reputable dealer. If they say it's lost, then I'm pretty sure it's probably just lost.

The card isn't rare so you'll be able to find another. The money was refunded so it's just a bit of a hassle to keep on looking. You might even find a nicer deal on it.

Good luck!
Old 12-21-2018, 07:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

Easy card to find, don't waste any negative energy, probably just an inventory glitch.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:07 PM
Mike

Glad to see Kit Young is selling cards that are graded instead of relying on his grading system which has always been overestimated.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:07 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Agreed that disappointed would be a better response than pissed. Kit is a good guy and a long time dealer with a huge inventory. I could see him making a mistake like this but totally innocently. I bought my first prewar cards from Kit years ago and was very happy with the deal.
I'm pretty sure Kit doesn't handle the inventory and daily operations like pulling orders and verifying inventory, etc. But the point is right, he's a good guy and his company has been in business a long time for a good reason.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:19 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

never trust a guy named after a car driven by David Hasselhoff!
Old 12-21-2018, 07:19 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

For all the bad things we say about EBAY, their buyer protection policy is, IMO, a positive. I've been on both sides (though almost entirely as a buyer) and have no complaints.

Merry Christmas EVERYONE!

-Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Good News! Just 50 or so days away:

SPRING TRAINING.jpg

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 12-21-2018, 07:32 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Disappointed? Sure.

Pissed? That would be a reflection of you.
Old 12-21-2018, 07:40 PM
Jo.hn Per.ez

It happens.
Kit young is a very well respected dealer.
I'm sure he honestly misplaced it. He deals with hundreds of cards, it can happen very easily.
I'm sure he would not hold back on that deal, trust me. $500 dollar deal isn't that big of a deal for him.
Look on the bright side, you are looking for a card that is literally all over the place. I'm sure it won't take you long to find another 54 TOPPS Ted in a Psa 6
Old 12-21-2018, 08:19 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Easy card to find, don't waste any negative energy, probably just an inventory glitch.
I agree. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding a similar card at a fair price.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:20 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Yes, you can be pissed. I ordered a pallet full of 250 uncut sheets from krukcards one time, and they couldn't locate that in their warehouse. So losing a single card (or selling and forgetting to pull from eBay) is not too surprising.

Several years ago my father was buying 86 Fleer Jordan PSA 8's like they were candy. One came from Kruk and was way off center. Not anything like what was pictured in the auction. Said they must have accidentally sent that one to someone else. No offer to remedy the situation as they claimed it was still a PSA 8. That was when they were only about $500-$600.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:25 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Hey Tim, saw some of your nice pack break slots on vintagebreaks. Were you the one who got the 8.5 back on a Civil War News?
I have had great luck with Kit Young in the past; one of my best purchases was their complete T51 set in EX average condition for $900, and I got a White Back 1956 Mantle from them earlier this year.

I wouldn't be angry at Kit for this mistake either, but telling the OP that it's okay to feel that way. I would be more disappointed than upset, unless I thought it was fraudulent. I don't believe this to be the case in either this transaction or the one I had with kruk. Although it's amazing to wonder where a pallet of uncut sheets walked off to.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 12-21-2018, 10:05 PM

Default sending good karma your way

I hope it shows up
Old 12-22-2018, 11:49 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Kit is good people, and if it turns up, he will most likely contact you first about the purchase. Relax...

Joshua
Old 12-22-2018, 12:08 PM
Rob
Rob.ert We.ekes

I've dealt with Kit a couple of times. Perhaps about eight years ago I bought a raw Walter Johnson T206 portrait that was advertised as VG, but only came back graded a 2 after I sent it in to PSA. So I contacted them about it and was authorized to return it for a refund even after a couple of months had passed since the sale. Very good to deal with.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:27 PM
Anthøny N. ex

I had this happen with a purchase from Kit a few years ago. He immediately called me himself to apologize. We ended up chatting for a while, turns out we both had the same 2nd grade teacher- she was young when he was in her class, middle age when I was, but it was a nice conversation and I was quite sure the card was an honest mistake.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:08 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderedH2O View Post
Stuff happens. Kit Young has been in the business for decades. I'm sure this was just an honest mistake. Guys with 30-40 years of selling aren't the type to purposely screw somebody over usually.
+1. Kit has been a legend in the hobby for at least 3 and a half decades. I ordered a 1947 Bond Bread Exhibit (Arco--sp?) Ted Williams in SGC NrMt+ last year, and the card arrived with the bottom of the SGC holder loose, which may or may not have done some very, very slight damage to the left lower bottom of the card when someone obviously dropped it. I was pissed for a moment and thought of returning it, but then I thought, "where am I going to find another?" While Adam states in his book on Exhibits that this issue remains rather readily available, this is simply not true with regard to the HOF'ers in the set. I monitor those with a continuing search on ebay, and almost every one that has shown up is a common, with the same one's popping up over and over. The elite HOF'ers have essentially been completely absorbed into permanent collections. My personal opinion is that there were a very small number of sample sets made by Arco and sent out to solicit licensing from such other companies as Bond Bread. They may well turn out to be some of the very rarest examples of the HOF'ers they feature ever.

In any event, yes, I would cut Kit Young some slack--he's done a lot to promote the hobby since the very early days!

Happy holidays,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 12-22-2018 at 04:09 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 04:33 PM
Glyn Parson

Why get “possessed” over an honest mistake. And that’s what it clearly seems like to me and I can easily see an operation of their size misplacing a card like that or possibly selling in one venue and failing to remove from another. It’s clearly a case where I can see be disappointed but why get pissed. It’s not worth the anger.
Old 12-22-2018, 06:48 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
Disappointed? Sure.

Pissed? That would be a reflection of you.

See post #8. Thanks...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-22-2018, 06:53 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
Why get “possessed” over an honest mistake. And that’s what it clearly seems like to me and I can easily see an operation of their size misplacing a card like that or possibly selling in one venue and failing to remove from another. It’s clearly a case where I can see be disappointed but why get pissed. It’s not worth the anger.

Wow...see post #8. Hardly “possessed” and definitely over it. Frankly, had never done business with Kit Young before and was asking if this was something anyone else had experienced. Some dealers don’t have great reputations and do stuff like reneging on deals as a common business practice. Sounds like Kit Young is a good dealer and this is just an unfortunate anomaly. No one died and like others have said, I’ll surely find another ‘54 Williams. Merry Christmas to you...

Old 12-22-2018, 09:48 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
See post #8. Thanks...

By “You”, I meant anyone who would go to that level. Not you personally.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:39 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:

I've dealt with Kit Young a few times and always had a positive experience. If he says that he lost the card I would believe him. When you deal with a large number of cards as he does a mistake will occur occasionally.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:48 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Back in 2009 I was working on a 1965 Topps set. A card that I needed had sold a week earlier for $525. Kruk then listed the card in the same grade, and I won the auction for $380. The next day Kruk informed me that the card was "out of stock."

I left them terrible feedback, but when you sell 100 items a week the negatives get buried by all the people who have positive things to say about their $12 purchase. I would never do business with those jackasses again.
Old 12-23-2018, 04:50 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethius88 View Post
Several years ago my father was buying 86 Fleer Jordan PSA 8's like they were candy. One came from Kruk and was way off center. Not anything like what was pictured in the auction. Said they must have accidentally sent that one to someone else. No offer to remedy the situation as they claimed it was still a PSA 8. That was when they were only about $500-$600.
Maybe we should start a thread about the awful business practices of Kruk Cards.
Old 12-23-2018, 06:02 AM
seablaster@yahoo.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
never trust a guy named after a car driven by David Hasselhoff!
Not to split hairs, but the car name was spelled KITT.

In response to the OP’s question, I can’t say I’d be too jazzed about it, but I’d be more thankful that it’s a card that is readily available.
Old 12-23-2018, 07:35 AM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
Maybe we should start a thread about the awful business practices of Kruk Cards.
They do this often. I would contribute to the thread.
Old 12-25-2018, 10:57 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Kit is one of my favorite people to chat with at National shows. From knowing him a little bit I can say most definitely it was an honest mistake.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:00 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Kit is one of my favorite people to chat with at National shows. From knowing him a little bit I can say most definitely it was an honest mistake.
+1 exactly!

Highest regards,

Larry
Old 12-26-2018, 12:44 PM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethius88 View Post

Quote:
Lol, I've never personally had any other business dealings with them. But, sounds like others have.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:10 PM
J0hn Collin$

Have dealt with Kit multiple times over the decades now and have nothing but positive things to say about him. Things happen, and at a minimum I'm sure he'll make it right.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:13 PM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Back in 2009 I was working on a 1965 Topps set. A card that I needed had sold a week earlier for $525. Kruk then listed the card in the same grade, and I won the auction for $380. The next day Kruk informed me that the card was "out of stock."
Unfortunately eBay sellers who sometimes don't get the price they want and then claim the card is either lost or out of stock is increasingly all too common. It sucks, but sometimes pays to comb through the feedback minutiae on sellers with any negatives to make sure they don't pull that kind of crap.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:29 PM
R Dixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by egbeachley View Post
By “You”, I meant anyone who would go to that level. Not you personally.
I think I'll try this one next time I'm trying to back out of an argument I'm losing to my wife.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:26 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdixon1208 View Post
I think I'll try this one next time I'm trying to back out of an argument I'm losing to my wife.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:28 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchcollins View Post
Unfortunately eBay sellers who sometimes don't get the price they want and then claim the card is either lost or out of stock is increasingly all too common. It sucks, but sometimes pays to comb through the feedback minutiae on sellers with any negatives to make sure they don't pull that kind of crap.

And this is exactly what I was trying to describe. I obviously did a poor job but I also get the sense that it is highly unlikely that Kit Young would pull something like this based upon the group’s near-unanimous feedback. Thanks so much... Matt

Old 12-27-2018, 10:01 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
+1. Kit has been a legend in the hobby for at least 3 and a half decades. I ordered a 1947 Bond Bread Exhibit (Arco--sp?) Ted Williams in SGC NrMt+ last year, and the card arrived with the bottom of the SGC holder loose, which may or may not have done some very, very slight damage to the left lower bottom of the card when someone obviously dropped it. I was pissed for a moment and thought of returning it, but then I thought, "where am I going to find another?" While Adam states in his book on Exhibits that this issue remains rather readily available, this is simply not true with regard to the HOF'ers in the set. I monitor those with a continuing search on ebay, and almost every one that has shown up is a common, with the same one's popping up over and over. The elite HOF'ers have essentially been completely absorbed into permanent collections. My personal opinion is that there were a very small number of sample sets made by Arco and sent out to solicit licensing from such other companies as Bond Bread. They may well turn out to be some of the very rarest examples of the HOF'ers they feature ever.

In any event, yes, I would cut Kit Young some slack--he's done a lot to promote the hobby since the very early days!

Happy holidays,

Larry
Actually, what I wrote was "The cards are scarce but can be found." I search for them pretty regularly too and see quite a few HOFers. When I decided to go after the elite cards, I found the one I really wanted in great shape within a year or two at auction:

and picked up some others as well from eBay

then I called it quits. Today, there are 38 cards listed on eBay and I could buy Rizzuto, Gordon, Kiner, Mize and Boudreau on the spot. To me that says scarce, not rare (though I am guessing that my Reese signed card is rare). That said, I suspect you are correct that the Stan, Joe D., Jackie and Ted cards are 'disappeared' into collections. I have been looking for two of them for a while and they do not surface as frequently as the lesser players, though I have to admit I haven't paid attention to Musial offerings as much since I got mine.

As to the OP and Kit Young, I've bought a number of cards from KY over the years and have never had any qualms with fulfillment. I am sure that they just misplaced the card. Heck, with a sale inventory of only a few thousand cards at any time I have misplaced three different ones this year alone. It happens.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-27-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-28-2018, 11:20 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
Actually, what I wrote was "The cards are scarce but can be found."

To me that says scarce, not rare (though I am guessing that my Reese signed card is rare).
Sorry to go off on a tangent, but this got me to thinking about how terms like "rare" are misapplied in the hobby. What is the difference in "rare" v. "scarce"? Quora online has this to say:

"Scarce is about demand while rare is about supply, more or less. "Scarce" tends to relate a quantity of something to its degree of demand, and there's a partial suggestion that the item is a necessity; e.g., "scarce" means "insufficient to meet needs."

Unless you are truly talking about something that I would consider scarce (I would say that is something you actually can't find, not just something you can find - even if only a few of - but it's expensive and so you don't buy it...) I'm not sure the definition really even matters. But it still makes me scowl when someone lists a card like a '56 Mickey Mantle as "rare" on eBay. Uh, no it's not. It's an expensive and highly desireable card, but it's not within shouting distance of "rare." There are a blue ton of them on eBay at any given moment.

I digress...

Last edited by jchcollins; 12-28-2018 at 11:21 AM.