NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 01-25-2018, 10:12 AM
Richard Simon

Default My favorite vacation place is,,,,

Alaska.
Been there three times and I am planning a 4th trip this summer.
I cannot get enough of the scenery and wildlife.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CSC_8560 (960x640) (2).jpg (81.9 KB, 477 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_8417.jpg (92.2 KB, 475 views)
File Type: jpg CSC_1346 (2).jpg (13.8 KB, 468 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_8709.jpg (23.5 KB, 472 views)
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 01-25-2018, 03:22 PM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Alaska.
Amen to that!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img357.jpg (75.8 KB, 457 views)
Old 01-31-2018, 06:23 AM
Robert J. Miller

Was there on a cruise in 1993 on my honeymoon. Beautiful place. Jope to get there again real soon.
Robert
Old 01-31-2018, 07:52 AM
Al Richter

Agree Alaska is a great place to be, but there are others

Denali

Old 02-09-2018, 01:14 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

Mine is Italy, staying with wife's family in Formia for three weeks, a block away from the beach, we did this a few times. It was great to see the Split Mountain Gaeta, Monte Cassino, Rome, Vatican, Sorrento, Amalfi Coast, Pisa, Pompeii and Florence. My Mother in Law is a survivor from WW II only being a child at the time. She still remembers the horrors of what happened

Last edited by rgpete; 02-09-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:48 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

The Jersey Shore.

You got a problem with that? Fughetaboutit. You don't know from nothing as we say in Jersey.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:29 PM
Ronald Glenn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
The Jersey Shore.

You got a problem with that? Fughetaboutit. You don't know from nothing as we say in Jersey.
Which Beach Sandy Hook, Belmar, Springlake, Asbury Park, Long Branch, AC Pt Pleasant Seaside Heights or Park, Cape May, Wild Wood, and Etc
Old 02-09-2018, 06:03 PM
Nick

Thumbs up Love me some vacations!

Made some stops in Alaska on a cruise. Loved it.

But our favorite (so far) is the Villa del Palmar Resort in Cancun, Mexico. We love the isolated location and the incredible food options for it being all inclusive.

Last edited by Slinger; 02-09-2018 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:08 PM

My favorite vacation place is a Major League Baseball stadium.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:44 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpete View Post
Which Beach Sandy Hook, Belmar, Springlake, Asbury Park, Long Branch, AC Pt Pleasant Seaside Heights or Park, Cape May, Wild Wood, and Etc
Beach Haven. lBI.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:58 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Alaska.

My wife and I flew up and spent 2 weeks there last August. The highlight was a 9 hour boat ride thru Prince William Sound for a tour of glaciers. Lazy Otter is the company we chartered with and loved it!
Old 07-06-2018, 03:00 PM
Richard Simon

Without a doubt Alaska.
I have traveled A LOT in my lifetime but I am returning to Alaska for the fourth time in two weeks.
I just love it there. (in the summertime only) .
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 07-08-2018, 02:39 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
. . . I am returning to Alaska for the fourth time in two weeks.
WOW!

That's a lot of travelling to do in two weeks.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:20 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

I'm SOOOO VERY JEALOUS of all you world travelers!

I am the Family 'Keeper of Post-Cards', the large collection of which documents, in ways being replaced by digital photograph, my family members' many treks around the globe.

My older brother himself, has been on two out-of-country trips this year....I was able to join him in Washington D.C. - his third trip.

The Post-Cards he mailed from the Ryne River were too big to fit in the official 'Travel' Photo Album - but were still welcome.

Someone earlier said that their favorite vacation place was a Major League Stadium...I agree!

I'll settle for digital reports from everywhere else...so I guess I'm not really all that jealous.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 07-13-2018 at 07:24 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:20 AM
octavio ranzola

Have a home at the jersey shore love it ,Long Beach island ,,but love Newport Rhode Island love it
Old 07-23-2018, 10:24 PM
Rob Anderson

My wife and I have been fortunate enough to travel to Europe 4 times the last 5 years. In order I loved Italy, Ireland, France, and Germany. We also have been to the Caribbean 12 times in 12 years. My top 5 islands are: St. Thomas (we got married there) Aruba, St. Maarten, Curacao, and St. Lucia.

But.... I agree with many here. Alaska has been my favorite place. It is incredibly beautiful up there, and it hasn't been "ruined" by too many tourists. If you could travel up there year round, it probably would lose some of its luster.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:56 AM
Al Richter

Recently flew to Fairbanks and took the Alaskan Railroad down to Anchorage. It had stops overnight in Denalli and Talkeetna. From Faibanks went to Seward and caught a cruise along the Alaskan coast down to Vancouver. Couple of days in Vancouver, including Victoria and Whistler, and then took the Rocky Mountaineer railroad towards Calgary with overnights in Jasper, Banff and Lake Louise, in each case staying at a Fairmont hotel or lodge which was included in the fare. Both railroads have spacious domed observation cars and serve gourmet fare on the trip. You do not get great view of Denali from the park itself so we chartered a small plane in Talkeetna to get closer views

I have a thing for old stuff, so Angkor Wat, Petra, The Great Wall, the Pyramids , Luxor, Valley of the Kings, Rome, and Greece are some of our favorite trips.

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 07-31-2018 at 09:52 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:30 AM
D@le Irv*n

I know this thread is about travelling abroad or travelling great distances to various places in your own country or around the world, but this is my favorite vacation spot that I have been going to for 12 yrs now, all within a 130 kms of my home.

We have travelled to Cancun (Moon Palace Resort) and to Disney in Florida over 10 yrs ago and would certainly like to travel outside our country a bit more, but for now, this is our go to place every summer.

We are right on the water, which is very nice, plus we face the west so we get some incredible sunsets over the summer.

My son was 5 when we first started going here. In that time he has learned to water ski, kneeboard, among other things.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0065a (Large).jpg (77.9 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0375 (Medium).jpg (79.6 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0773 (Large).JPG (60.6 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0799 (Large).jpg (71.7 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg HPIM1859 (Medium).JPG (68.4 KB, 213 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0981 (Large).jpg (70.1 KB, 212 views)
Old 07-24-2018, 01:51 PM
Al Richter

Nice, Irv
Old 07-24-2018, 03:49 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Nice, Irv
Thanks, Al.
Old 07-27-2018, 10:06 AM
Rob Anderson

Irv, that is great. Unfortunately, as someone who spent from age 5-25 skiing almost everyday in the MN spring, summer and fall, my kids have no interest. We have a place on a lake, a Mastercraft, and no skiers. Depressing for me. Although, I am probably only 10 years away from grandkids. Maybe I can live vicariously through them.

Last edited by gopherfan; 07-27-2018 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-29-2018, 09:52 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherfan View Post
Irv, that is great. Unfortunately, as someone who spent from age 5-25 skiing almost everyday in the MN spring, summer and fall, my kids have no interest. We have a place on a lake, a Mastercraft, and no skiers. Depressing for me. Although, I am probably only 10 years away from grandkids. Maybe I can live vicariously through them.
I understand your pain, Gopherfan. Although my son enjoyed water skiing somewhat, tubing and kneeboarding ruled most days.

Not bragging, but he was a natural at everything he tried and got up the very first time after he left the trainer skis.
I guess, because it wasn't something he could really do with his buddies, he chose tubing as his main form of entertainment.

For the last 2 yrs, since he has been working and has gotten a girlfriend, he hasn't been up to our spot, which makes things somewhat boring for my wife and me.
We lived on the water from when he was 5 until he was 15 so it has been quite the shock/adjustment for us to just have it suddenly stop.

We miss those days immensely to say the least.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HPIM0224 (Large).jpg (68.6 KB, 227 views)
Old 07-30-2018, 10:56 AM
Rob G.

My wife is planning a trip to Alaska right now for next summer. Our family of 4 and another family of 4. Kids will be ages 8 thru 12.

Current thought is to fly into Seattle and take a cruise ship up there.

For you Alaska lovers, any recommendations? Better alternatives to a cruise? We have about a week and don't want to spend more than $6-7k per family (figure at least $1k of that will be for flights).
Old 07-30-2018, 07:37 PM
Brandon Bailey

I would take the cruise out of Seattle, and if you can spend 3 days in Seattle before hand assuming the Mariners are in town and catch some games and other highlights in Seattle, them just relax and enjoy that cruise, unbelievable excursions to choose from for all kinds of different budgets.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:41 PM
Chris R

Default Alaska In Summer 2017

My wife and I did a self-guided trip to Alaska last summer and can't wait to go back again someday. We used a combination of Alaska Air, Alaska Marine Highway Ferries, Bus, and the Alaska Railroad. This mode of transportation allowed us to spend more time in each town than if we had been on a cruise and was comparable in price. However, it did take a few nights of research to layout the plan. We went to Ketchikan, Juneau, Gustavus, Fairbanks, Denali Park, and last stop was Anchorage.

When we go back to Alaska someday, will just focus on Juneau and Glacier Bay National Park. Seeing brown bear up close on Admiralty Island was awesome and we loved kayaking in Glacier Bay National Park.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:16 PM
Ronald Glenn

On the beach in Formia Italy

Last edited by rgpete; 10-15-2018 at 07:34 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 12:26 AM
Jason Jones

I live in Germany right now and would have to say Switzerland, Scotland, and Iceland have been my favorite places, so far. Beautiful mountains and countryside in those countries.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:05 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger8mush View Post
My wife is planning a trip to Alaska right now for next summer. Our family of 4 and another family of 4. Kids will be ages 8 thru 12.

Current thought is to fly into Seattle and take a cruise ship up there.

For you Alaska lovers, any recommendations? Better alternatives to a cruise? We have about a week and don't want to spend more than $6-7k per family (figure at least $1k of that will be for flights).
I have spent over 40 days in Alaska on four separate occasions. I never took a cruise.
Take a land trip, plan it yourself.
You can PM me and we can chat more. I already helped one other Net54 member plan his trip.
Go to Denali, Anchorage, Seward, Redoubt Bay, Talkeetna, Fairbanks, Arctic Circle. And be sure to take the Alaska Railroad as often as you can. Ride in the Dome Section. Costs more but well worth it, food, bar, observation deck.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 10-20-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:01 AM
Al Richter

Unhappy

Agree on the Alaskan RR. Took it from Fairbanks to Anchorage with overnights in Denali and Talkeetna. Then took cruise from Seward to Vancouver. The stops include Hubbard Bay and the big glacier there. After time in Vancouver took the Rocky Mountaineer, similar to the Alaskan RR, down through Jasper, Lake Louise and Banff to Calgary.

If your budget can accommodate it you can charter a small plane while in Talkeetna to get above the clouds for better views of Denali which often can not be seen either from the Park or Talkeetna because of cloud cover

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 10-20-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:25 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Agree on the Alaskan RR. Took it from Fairbanks to Anchorage with overnights in Denali and Talkeetna. Then took cruise from Seward to Vancouver. The stops include Hubbard Bay and the big glacier there. After time in Vancouver took the Rocky Mountaineer, similar to the Alaskan RR, down through Jasper, Lake Louise and Banff to Calgary.

If your budget can accommodate it you can charter a small plan while in Talkeetna to get above the clouds for better views of Denali which often can not be seek either from the Park or Talkeetna because of cloud cover
Al,
Agree on that Talkeetna flight to Denali. That was totally amazing. We landed on a glacier too.
And to the original post about Alaska, the air was about $1000 RT from NYC for one.
Alaska is an expensive vacation but so worth it. If anyone wants a couple of money saving tips just PM me.
I am already hoping to get back there in 2020.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 10-20-2018 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:34 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

I just know that if I win the Mega Ball, I will be buying something on the west coast of Ireland near Galway. To me, heaven on earth...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:17 AM
Al Richter

At that point Matt, will you be in or out of the EU ? 😉
Old 10-21-2018, 12:05 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
At that point Matt, will you be in or out of the EU ?

At that point, will I care???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:00 PM
Murr the Blurr

I'm a Canadian who has been living and working in Beijing for the past 7 years, and traveling to other parts of Asia from here is incredibly cheap. Believe it or not, my favorite vacation place is Pyongyang, capital of DPR Korea (North Korea). I'm about to depart for my third extended visit in four years, and really looking forward to it. Pyongyang is gorgeous, with tons of green space and totally free of air pollution. The citizens are reserved but friendly, and getting around the city is remarkably easy on the modern subway system (built by the Czech Republic) and free buses. No internet or social media, and minimal news from the outside world comes via China Central Television ... but it's a fascinating place to relax for a couple of weeks.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:54 AM
Al Richter

If you have some pics you can add it to the around the world thread. Closest I have come, or will, is peering over the fence on the DMZ
Old 10-22-2018, 09:40 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Lottery.....

I just purchased 1 ticket of EVERY combination for the upcoming Billion Dollar Lottery so in effect, I'm buying Alaska soon.......

Problem is......I've misplaced the tickets. I have like 50 million of them and can't find them? I put them next to my car keys! Dammit!

Peace, Mike
Old 10-23-2018, 12:52 AM
Ciaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Six View Post
I just know that if I win the Mega Ball, I will be buying something on the west coast of Ireland near Galway. To me, heaven on earth...
A lovely part of Ireland. My favourite vacation spot is further north on the west coast - a small village called Glencolumbkille in Co. Donegal. I used to spend many long weeks there as a child - I still do return but not as often as I would like as the transport links make it inconvenient to travel to.

For me, within the US, I always have fond memories of San Diego (spent many months in the South Park district in the past) and, elsewhere, I love vacationing in the Philippines - a few days in Makati (part of Metro Manila) and then Borocay or Palawan Islands is hard to beat.

Always loved trips to “behind the Iron Curtain” in the 1990s - even though the Iron Curtain had been dismantled by then, it still retained a very different vibe. Vilnius (Lithuania) in 1996 and Tbilisi (Georgia) in 1997 particularly stood out.

However, increasingly, I’m more likely to choose parts of Europe for vacation - in part because I am less tolerant of long-haul travel. I’m currently travelling to Milan circa 10 to 12 times a year and, whilst it doesn’t have the allure of Florence or Rome to most visitors to Italy and looks a bit more urban / industrial, it’s a great city for me - and, location wise, is perfect as it’s easy to travel from there to Lake Como and other beautiful destinations in northern Italy, Austria, Switzerland etc.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:50 AM
Joe

Yellowstone and most places in Colorado. Yosemite is next on the bucket list. Panama Beach, Florida if I just want to chill. 6:00 am, coffee and a book next to the lightly lapping waves on the beach. Just me and a sun up. Calgon take me away!
Old 10-25-2018, 02:11 PM

Default Deschutes River

A great vacation is a multi-day fishing float trip down the Deschutes River. I moved to Oregon and the close proximity to the Deschutes was indeed a factor. It is one of the countries premier wild trout & steelhead rivers. Yup, fresh coffee in the morning, waders on, fly rod in hand, then coffee cup slips in the side holder of my fanny pack while I wade out a little for that first trout of the day - Fish On !
Old 01-08-2019, 09:18 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dueces View Post
Yellowstone and most places in Colorado. Yosemite is next on the bucket list. Panama Beach, Florida if I just want to chill. 6:00 am, coffee and a book next to the lightly lapping waves on the beach. Just me and a sun up. Calgon take me away!
Yosemite and Yellowstone are great.
I highly recommend Denali, Bryce, Zion and Acadia in Maine.
I love our National Parks.
It is a shame what is happening to them now.
--
Old 01-08-2019, 02:38 PM
Scott Russell

Loved Zion, still partial to Sanibel Island in FL though
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 01-08-2019, 05:29 PM

I don't do much traveling but did have a business trip to Sanibel some years ago. Nice place. Saw a monument to Raymond Burr who used to hang out down there apparently.

Check out the Outer Banks of N.C., in particular, Southern Shores. Lots of nice rentals geared to families.
Old 01-08-2019, 05:50 PM
Al Richter

Mark and Scott-- you Need to post pics of yourdelves doing the stoop
Old 01-08-2019, 10:53 PM
Scott Russell

Trust me, spent plenty of hours doing it and you don't want pictures.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 01-09-2019, 07:58 AM
Scott
Scott All.en

My favorite trip:

My wife and I flew to Phoenix and drove through Oak Creek Canyon and then shot over to Los Angeles and then up the Pacific Coast highway all the way from Los Angeles to Seattle. Lots of driving but an awesome and, actually, pretty cheap trip.

Started with a Dodger game and then just cruised up the coast on Highway 1. No reservations anywhere. Went in the 3rd week of September - no crowds, nice weather.

There's so much to see - from Malibu to Carmel to SF and on up into Oregon and Washington. You can veer off to Crater Lake and Olympic National parks, which we did. One day we went from sunny and 75º to snow and 32º.

We did it in about 8 days, but you could easily spend 8 weeks.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:23 PM
Ronald Glenn

I like Italy have been there 3 times Our last trip was in September for 2 weeks we rented a car in Milano and from there drove to Lake Como, Verona, Venice, Cinque Terre, Monatlcino in Tuscany we toured Fanti Winery and then to Formia to stay with my wife's Uncle and Family
Old 01-11-2019, 09:21 AM
Ciaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpete View Post
I like Italy have been there 3 times Our last trip was in September for 2 weeks we rented a car in Milano and from there drove to Lake Como, Verona, Venice, Cinque Terre, Monatlcino in Tuscany we toured Fanti Winery and then to Formia to stay with my wife's Uncle and Family
Milan / Milano and the surrounding area is a great place to visit. I travel to Milan an average of 12 / 14 times a year but rarely actually holiday there - but my partner and I are spending a week in Milan and close to Lake Como for a week or so in late April this year.