NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-13-2009, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Default 1890's Boston Old Timers Photo ID Help

Posted By: Rhys

I have this Imperial Cabinet photo which is labeled on the back "Old Time Ball Players at Boston Base Ball Ground" in light pencil. I am 100% sure that it is the Boston Baseball Grounds when you view the whole photo (which would not fit on my scanner) due to the grandstands and some posters on the walls for Boston Companies. I blew up the photos of their faces to see if anyone on here can identify any of the Old Timers. I am confident in my estimation of circa 1890-95 on this images age which would mean most of these guys played in the 1860's or 1870's. These would have to be prominant early Amatuer or Professional Players you would think by the fact that they are all decked out in beautiful uniforms and posed for a professional image. I belive this to have been taken before opening day or even a Temple Cup game because the crowd is packed, women are dressed in their best, and there is bunting on the grandstands when you view the entire image.

Anyone on here look familiar? [linked image]

[linked image]

Old 01-13-2009, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

Great cabinet!, is it a 16x20" imperial? Nothing jumps out at me but I'll study a little closer after dinner.

Best Regards,
Joe Gonsowski

Old 01-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Administrator

It is about 14X11 right now but the mount was trimmed off to fit in a frame years ago, no trimming to the image portion though. Some of these guys look so familiar to me but none jump out at me.

Rhys

Old 01-14-2009, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Rhys, I personally don't have much more to add but would like to share some research from Bob Richardson in response to your photo.

"I don't see anyone that I recognize and their uniforms are quite unusual for the sort of old-timers games that were common in the 1890s. I did a search of the Globe archives and found a strong possibility -- John Morrill assembled a team of old-timers (mostly old college and amateur players) to face a touring baseball team from Australia at the South End Grounds 6/20/97. That would explain the formal attire (to match what Australians would expect for cricket) and the lack of familiar faces. Also found a 6/10/03 old-timers game at the SE Grounds pitting captains of industry and stock exchange men, old college players for the most part."

Best Regards,
Joe Gonsowski (& Bob Richardson)

Old 01-18-2009, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Bob and Joe

Thanks for the information. I bet you are right about the 1897 game being this event. I did not recognize any of the bigger guys in here but some faces are certainly familiar and the date and stadium are right on so I bet that is it.

Thanks so much for the help and the effort you guys put in helping me out.

Rhys

Old 01-18-2009, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Hello Rhys,

Subsequent study by Bob Richardson suggests that maybe it isn't the 1897 game . . .

"When I was at the library this week, I checked further into the 1897 game and found that Spalding and George Wright played for the Oldtimers, though most of the others were lesser lights, including George's brother Sam and Harry Schaefer of the 1870s Boston teams. I don't see Spalding or Wright in that photo, so I suspect it was another occasion."

So maybe it is the 1903 game.

Best Regards,
Joe Gonsowski (& Bob Richardson)