NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-04-2010, 09:31 AM
Barry Sloate

Default Tango Brand Eggs- Original 1993 SCD Article

I was just going through a folder and found a June 18, 1993 SCD article which discusses the find of Tango Brand Eggs cards the previous year. Interestingly, the article was written by Doug Allen.

Here is how he breaks down the 20 known cards, in terms of rarity:

Impossible (1 to 5 known): Bresnahan, Cobb, Crawford, Evers, Felsch, Morgan, Schaefer, Tinker, Wagner.

Ultra-Rare (from 10 to 25 known- [seems none are 5-10 known]): Bridwell, Chase, Collins, Murphy, Weaver, Zimmerman

Rare (25-50 known): Bescher, Dooin, Jennings, McQuillan, Meyers.

Obviously, in the case of Jennings and Bescher the numbers are wrong as easily well over 100 are known of each.

For those who know the set, how do these numbers stack up? Don't I recall Rob Lifson offering a huge reward just to see scans of some of the impossible ones, like Wagner and Cobb?
Old 05-04-2010, 09:36 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

I remember there was some tension on here that a collector said he had Cobb but wouldn't show the image... I want to say BCD or someone he knew?

I've never seen Cobb or Wagner has anyone?

John
Old 05-04-2010, 09:38 AM
Barry Sloate

No, I've never seen them either and I am pretty sure those were the two Rob was skeptical of, among a few others.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:50 AM

I seem to recall that when that find was made in the early 90s, Mr. Mint put them up for sale in a full page ad in SCD. I believe there were photos of the cards all around the border of the ad. I have no recollection if any of the "impossible" cards were pictured, although I do think I remember a photo of the Buck Weaver card. What I also recall is that by the time I got my issue and called, the cards had sold out.

Greg
Old 05-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Anthøny N. ex

From Rob Lifson's write up of the Tango near set (16/18)
"If the family's 1995 statement documenting the quantities of each card in the find is accurate, this written declaration defines exactly what players exist and how many of each exist of the lowest population cards. The letter does not list Honus Wagner or Joe Tinker, though Wagner and Tinker are listed on all Tango Eggs checklists. There is also no second pose of Cobb according to this letter, though some collectors have reported that this card also exists. No additional examples of Morgan and Felsch have been confirmed to exist, though legend has it that three examples exist of each. Based on the letter from the family, only one example each of Morgan and Felsch exists and they are here, included in this collection. Is it possible that Tango Eggs cards of Wagner and Tinker and others that appear to many to be rumours - the baseball card equivalent of an "urban myth" - actually exist but are for some reason are impossible to verify in any way? Absolutely! Anything is possible. REA is in no way intending to be disrespectful or questioning the sincerity of some of the hobby's most highly respected card historians who believe that cards of Wagner, Tinker, and the others in question do, in fact, exist. We acknowledge that this is a possibility, but think this is less likely than collectors remembering cards in error, or repeating mistaken accounts of the existence of cards that do not exist. We are hereby offering a $100,000 reward - yes, a reward! - if the Tinker, Wagner, and the two additional examples of Morgan and Felsch (six cards in total) can be produced for our inspection prior to the close of this auction, and are graded by PSA for authenticity (we will pay for grading as well)."

There are at least 2 Morgans- the one in the REA auction, and another that Lew Lipset sold on ebay a few years ago.
In addition to these, there is a Rebel Oakes that is uncataloged- it would seem to be pre- find, backing up Frank Ward's info about Tango's existing back in the '70's/80's.
BcD did say he's got the Cobb, and that there were 2 different poses. That would put the number in the set at either 19, 21, or 22.
From my experience Bresnahan and Crawford are no tougher or easier than Bridwell and Zimmerman.

Very easy- Bescher and Jennings
A bit tougher, but not relatively scarce- Collins, Chase, Weaver, Dooin, McQuillan, Meyers, Murphy
Very tough- Bresnahan, Crawford, Bridwell, Zimmerman,Morgan
Incredibly difficult- Felsch, Cobb, Cobb2*, Evers, Schaeffer, Oakes, Tinker*, Wagner*

*if they even exist

REA near set listing
http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/.../2007/358.html

edited to make Rob's quote clearly a quote

Last edited by Griffins; 05-04-2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:13 AM
Barry Sloate

So there have been a couple of changes to the original checklist, but the rarity scale from the 1993 article is not too far off from what we believe today.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:15 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhey24 View Post
I seem to recall that when that find was made in the early 90s, Mr. Mint put them up for sale in a full page ad in SCD. I believe there were photos of the cards all around the border of the ad. I have no recollection if any of the "impossible" cards were pictured, although I do think I remember a photo of the Buck Weaver card. What I also recall is that by the time I got my issue and called, the cards had sold out.

Greg
Mr. Mint's ad, courtesy of Frank W., is shown in Post No. 14 of this thread:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=122316
Old 05-04-2010, 03:22 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Barry, I think that is probably correct. A few tweeks to the pops, but the basics remain the same.

What is the big mystery is why there are so many of some and so few of others. Is there a big stash of Morgan's and Felsch's waiting to be found, or were those issued at the time and Bescher and Jennings were the rare ones?
Old 05-05-2010, 06:51 PM

Just snagged this one at REA (I don't mind that it is not one of the rarest Tangos...the condition, subject and eye-appeal of the card got me!):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tango HJ.jpg (29.4 KB, 137 views)