NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-17-2007, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Default Robinson and Reese, by Monty Sheldon, hand painted.

Posted By: Julie Vognar

Monty Sheldon's hand painted baseball cards. My scanner isn't as sharp as it should be. They are really great (and somehow, he contrived to have the Robinson card "#42"). He is perfectly willing to talk, either by e-mail or over the phone for as long as you like about what you want. Or you can just say "surprise me." (I hate surprises.)I sent him the 1947 Homoginized Bond Bread Reese, and the (from the Robinson set) 1947 Homoginized Bond Bread Robinson scans to work from. (I sent the one with the facscimile autograph, but as you can see, a lot of changes were made--the photo for the Robinson was taken in Montreal and he really looks too young, and a first baseman's mitt occupies nearly half tyhe card).

If you order the same players you will get completely different cards. They are all hand painted, and made to order. You can order anyone, including 19th century, Negro League, Japanese, Korean, etc.

Price: $225 a piece.

e-mail: montysheldon@montysheldon.com

Old 03-17-2007, 06:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Hi Julie- how have you been? It's been a long time since you last posted.

Old 03-17-2007, 06:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Darren

COOL HEADS UP!

Old 03-17-2007, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

I don't really collect anymore...see, I figure, these cards aren't REAL baseball cards, since they're hand-painted. (real logic at work, there.) Hope all's well with you.

Old 03-17-2007, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

I'm doing well, thank you...trying to keep out of trouble but getting into it anyway!

Old 03-17-2007, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Julie,
Nice to see you back around here. I hope you hand around.
JimB

Old 03-19-2007, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John Kalafarski

Julie: those cards are beautiful. I did a search on Monty Sheldon and came up with a page with his painted baseballs and did not see a reference to hand painted cards. I did email him but no response as of yet. Could you tell me more about how you came to getting the cards and if there is a gallery of what other cards he's painted?

Old 03-20-2007, 04:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Hey Julie, I tried your email and it didn't work.

Trying to email you....

Frank.

Old 03-20-2007, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris Counts

Marty Sheldon, evidently, is the artist behind all the Helmar cards that have been popping up the past couple years, courtesy of the Helmar Brewing Company. In addition to Reese and Robinson, Sheldon has "painted" cards of Negro Leaguers, banned players, vintage Japanese players, boxers and a handful of HOFers. While his images are wonderful, the cards are poorly produced. The surface literally peels off the backing, which is thicker than an Exhibit card. They also chip and ding like 1971 Topps cards and you can't fit them in a topholder. At one time, a disclaimer on the company's website actually explained the reasoning behind the poor production. They claim they were trying to produce a card that those who hype and profit off of modern cards would avoid. They succeeded. Apparently, Sheldon is now producing "one-of-a-kind" cards, which must certainly carry a high price tag. His images are also available on wooden signs, which are particularly impressive ...

For more info:

http://www.helmarbrewing.com

Old 03-20-2007, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John Kalafarski

Chris, thanks for the info. Do you think they've solved the production problems of the cards now in production? Monty has still not answered my email. Impressive stuff!

Old 03-20-2007, 08:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan Long

But I wanted to say that is nice to see that Julie is doing ok. It is funny how when someone on here leaves or stop posting for awhile that you can actually get nervous about them and hope that they are doing ok.
Good to see you post Julie.

Old 03-20-2007, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

I have a set of the cards......you are right. They look good picture/art wise but suck in thickness. They're thicker than the most current crappy glove cards put in with new cards. I also have a couple of the wooden signs and they are REALLY REALLY nice. Bought them in the $35-$40 range each. Mathewson and Wagner. If you see them, there are two sizes. I have the smaller size that are like 12x24 or something like that. The artwork is STELLAR.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Macrae

Julie...Thanks for sharing these cards. To slightly correct Chris' statement, Monty Sheldon did not work in designing the Helmar snack cards in 2005. Monty liked the cards, contacted Helmar Brewing and , after several conversations with Helmar, made an arrangement to work with them on designing and creating future sets and projects beginning last year. The hand-painted cards by Monty Sheldon ,ordered through Helmar, are currently priced at $225 each. I've worked with Monty for nearly 10 years. In that timeframe, I've enjoyed the privelidge of looking at nearly 90% of his baseball related work and own quite a bit of it as well. A few posters and lurkers here also own his originals, although I'll let them "out" themselves if they so choose.... John... If you do not get a response from Monty by Tuesday, let me know by private email & I'll see to it that you're put in contact with him. I talk with him regularly (including today), but like most artists there are periods of time where he will avoid the computer, or outside world ....

Old 03-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I think it was REA that auctioned off a number of the Helmar paintings, each with a Helmar COA.
I didn't know Sheldon was the painter and had never heard of the cards. I thought they were nice
paintings and bid (and lost) on the lots.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:21 PM
Administrator

No, it was Huggins & Scott not REA. If you look in an old catalog it will have them pictured.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

cool...

Old 03-20-2007, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff O

Monte does great work. I'm lucky enough to own one of his originals as well - the first hockey puck he ever painted:

Jeff

Old 03-20-2007, 10:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I just had to chime in and say that Joe Jackson card and hockey puck are really exceptional...thanks for sharing guys...and thanks for the info Mark M.......best regards

Old 03-21-2007, 12:17 AM
Administrator

I just noticed the "Big League Brew." That's pretty good. Not that I condone
drinking and collating.