NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 06-27-2017, 07:23 PM
Neal

Default Thoughts on this Ted Williams Ball

What do you all think of this Ted Williams signed ball?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TED WILLIAMS BALL.jpg (61.3 KB, 394 views)
Old 06-27-2017, 11:23 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

It looks bad to me.

Steve

Current Wantlist:
1909 Obak Howard (Los Angeles) (no frame on back)
1910 E90-2 Gibson, Hyatt, Maddox
Old 06-28-2017, 05:27 AM
Matthew
Ma.tt Wy.llie

No good
Old 06-28-2017, 06:53 AM
Neal

Thanks guys, kind of thought so myself! But you never know!
Old 06-28-2017, 07:14 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

I say this over and over. If it has an open d or a it is probably not good
Old 06-28-2017, 11:01 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly View Post
Yoda has spoken
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 06-28-2017, 12:43 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Can you please explain what you would look for? I am in the market for one, and have really not looked past the UDA stuff he signed.

I randomly pulled one off eBay for compare:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UDA-TED-WILL...sAAOSwlY1ZMyW-
Old 06-29-2017, 08:46 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Go to ebay. Look at all the uda williams. No where would you see and opened d or a. If you look at the ball we are discussing just take a close look and you will see a space in the d vs the balls on ebay. Same thing is true when you see and open a. I hope this helps. Richard and Zipper might be able to explain this better than me.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:37 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
As a matter of fact, Ted used to say this over and over while signing.

"Gotta close the d, gotta close the a."

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:37 PM
De.rek Gre.nce

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
As a matter of fact, Ted used to say this over and over while signing.

"Gotta close the d, gotta close the a."
Hahahahahaha 😂😂
Old 06-30-2017, 05:28 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Go to ebay. Look at all the uda williams. No where would you see and opened d or a. If you look at the ball we are discussing just take a close look and you will see a space in the d vs the balls on ebay. Same thing is true when you see and open a. I hope this helps. Richard and Zipper might be able to explain this better than me.
Thanks Shelly. I am a little daft though, as I am serious on adding one to my collection.

When you say "Open A or Open D", are you talking about the top of the letter? Open how?

Thanks for the help, as I am not understanding what part is open that I should look for.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:01 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampsfan View Post
Thanks Shelly. I am a little daft though, as I am serious on adding one to my collection.

When you say "Open A or Open D", are you talking about the top of the letter? Open how?

Thanks for the help, as I am not understanding what part is open that I should look for.

You're correct Bob. One of the first things to look at is the "d" and the "a". Both letters should be "closed" at the top. If they are "open", meaning the strokes don't come together/overlap, then it's likely to be a bad signature. There are of course other things to look at, but those are the first two usual "giveaways".

Steve

Current Wantlist:
Old 07-01-2017, 08:14 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Like I said. Take a look at your ball. The d is opened right at the top. That is the same thing you look for in the a.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:27 AM
Richard Simon

Right here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ted-bad.jpg (911 Bytes, 125 views)
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow
Old 07-02-2017, 12:58 AM
Bob Davies

Thanks to all. So for me to summarize...

On the ball in OP, the "A" is closed at the top, but the "D" is not.

On the randomly selected UDA ball I linked to, both the "A" and the "D" are closed at the top.

Thanks to all for the clarity... and patience explaining to me.

Now, if any of you experts have a good single sig for sale, I'm interested... PM me.

Thanks
Bob
Old 07-02-2017, 01:52 AM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

Bob, I just now looked at the UDA ball you linked to, and personally, I would stay away from it. It may be completely legit, but it is an "ugly" signature. if real, it's a late-in-life signature. You can find far better looking real Williams signed baseballs.

The nicest thing about Ted's signature is that it stayed very consistent and legible throughout his life, only deteriorating very late/close to his death. He is one, like Mickey Mantle and Joe DiMaggio, who always took pride in his signature, and took the time to give everyone a nice readable autograph.

Steve

Current Wantlist:

Last edited by Steve D; 07-02-2017 at 01:56 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 01:23 AM
Bob Davies

I never knew that Williams made an effort to provide a clean signature. Until you mentioned the "later in life" possibility, I had not thought of that possibility.

I hear you on the ugliness, and while the price is good for a Williams UDA SS ball, I have not made the leap for that reason... it would not display as well as I am hoping.

Steve... Thanks again for your patience and time in helping a collector out. Much appreciated.

Bob
Old 07-03-2017, 04:58 AM
Scott Russell

Just curious, not an autograph expert, but not a neophyte either. I don't recall ever seeing Williams connect his first and last name like he does on the ball in the OP. Is that something he did?
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 07-03-2017, 07:23 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Just curious, not an autograph expert, but not a neophyte either. I don't recall ever seeing Williams connect his first and last name like he does on the ball in the OP. Is that something he did?
Yes, quite often. I think it was separate during his playing days, and I can't really tell you when it changed (probably when he started doing shows/signings) but I know that most that I've seen since the mid 80's looked similar.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:49 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Yes, quite often. I think it was separate during his playing days, and I can't really tell you when it changed (probably when he started doing shows/signings) but I know that most that I've seen since the mid 80's looked similar.
Funny I was thinking the opposite, that maybe it was connected in his playing days, the good ones I see that I assume are modern are not connected.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions