NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 10-02-2014, 07:39 PM
Max Weder

Default 1914 (?) Boston Braves Pennant

On John Thorn's wonderful Our game blog, he posted about the 1914 Braves. Included was a photo of this pennant. I've never seen it before. Vintage? Homemade? fantasy?
Old 10-02-2014, 07:56 PM

Default Homemade fantasy

Hi Max,

My vote is for homemade/fantasy. Someone attached an authentic B18 blanket to this homemade pennant.

Patrick
Old 10-02-2014, 08:19 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagecatcher View Post
Hi Max,

My vote is for homemade/fantasy. Someone attached an authentic B18 blanket to this homemade pennant.

Patrick
IF that's the case, it's very well done!
Old 10-02-2014, 09:05 PM
Mike

I agree that it is a homemade/fantasy pennant.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:18 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagecatcher View Post
Hi Max,

Patrick
This was my first instinct as well. Very well done. Still a great piece.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:59 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

NOT a Fantasy piece....

Materials are of the era, and pennant was likely constructed during the purported period. So while it may be one of a kind, and "home made", it was not produced to deceive (like some of the "Franken-pennants you see on ebay).

It is a marvelous and legitimate piece, and can best be thought of as period folk art.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:11 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
NOT a Fantasy piece....

Materials are of the era, and pennant was likely constructed during the purported period. So while it may be one of a kind, and "home made", it was not produced to deceive (like some of the "Franken-pennants you see on ebay).

It is a marvelous and legitimate piece, and can best be thought of as period folk art.
I hate to get into semantics but I didn't necessarily imply that by it being a "fantasy" piece that it was meant to deceive. I do agree that it was homemade at the time by a fan and a great piece. I know that often the implication of fantasy has a negative connotation and could be meant to deceive, but in this case I thought the fantasy declaration only reinforced the homemade or one off nature of the piece. My question to clarify for fantasy designation would be how long after the event would the creation have to take place in order to classify it as fantasy? Five years? Or is it all based on intent?

Last edited by Econteachert205; 10-03-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:24 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

I think it's based on the intent (just my opinion). To me, "Fantasy" has a negative connotation, but perhaps it's open to interpretation.

Anyway, here's a link to this pennant in SCP...

https://catalog.scpauctions.com/LotD...entoryid=28580
Old 10-03-2014, 11:26 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Yeah, I think I just have to be more careful with the word Fantasy because it does have such a negative connotation. Thanks for the link
Old 10-03-2014, 11:33 AM

Default Pennant

This is an awesome period piece. It was sold in SCP's last auction and I cannot remember where but there was another team that was made in similar appearance. This is a fantastic pennant that I was able to view at the Nationals and the size was surprisingly big to boot
Old 10-03-2014, 01:39 PM
Max Weder

Bob

Do you think it was a manufactured pennant or was it one of a kind home made?

Max
Old 10-03-2014, 04:59 PM

Default Pennant

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballart View Post
Bob

Do you think it was a manufactured pennant or was it one of a kind home made?

Max
I don't know Max, it it could be either but the most important thing here is that it is period and I have seen similar pieces from another team.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:32 PM
Ja.son Hugh.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
NOT a Fantasy piece....

I completely agree with Mark. This is a great pennant. It would be my opinion that it is one of a kind. Like Bob said, I also remember seeing something similar, but it just has just too much detail to produce numbers of these. All of the attributes of this pennant are right on for this period of pennant, often seen in vintage college pennants. The wear is perfectly consistent with the fabric these pennants were made of. Style of sewing too. The one negative is the team. These Boston Braves pennants just don't seem to bring the great numbers that other team pennants from this era. Bottom line, beautiful pennant.
Old 10-04-2014, 06:51 AM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Type 3 pennant
Old 10-04-2014, 07:00 AM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder7 View Post
Type 3 pennant

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 10-04-2014, 10:04 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder7 View Post
Type 3 pennant
But if it was made from Original materials within a 2 year window of the Braves winning the championship, it should be considered Type..... Oh forget it!