NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-18-2004, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Default T206 Hugh Duffy Question

Posted By: Mike McGrail

Greetings from Windmill Country,

As you Monster collectors know, Hugh Duffy is one of the many HOFers who appear in the T206 set. His only card lists him as playing for Chicago Amer. Judging from the possible backs of this card, it was issued in the 460 series. Therefore in 1911. All normal up until now.

What is strange is that Hugh Duffy ...
... played his last game in 1906, long before the T206s were released.
... never played for the Chicago team of the AL. He did play for the Chicago team of the NL from 1888 to 1889 and in the Chicago team of the PL in 1890.

So the $64,000 question is ... How did Hugh find his way onto a late series T206 card listing a team that he never played for?

Can anyone help here? Am I missing something obvious?

Ciao for now,

Mike

Old 05-18-2004, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John(z28jd)

Sorry Mike,its very obvious.Ill give you a hint Its the same reason John McGraw is in the set

Old 05-18-2004, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike McGrail

... MANAGERS at the time!!!

What a brain fart on my part.

Thanks John

Mike

PS - Bill, please feel free to delete this thread REAL QUICK so that a minimum amount of folks catch on to how dumb I can be sometimes! 8-)

Old 05-18-2004, 09:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I think you were deceived by the batting pose, Mike. How dare they give a manager a bating pose. he does have nice sweater on to keep him warm on the bench. Heck, I guees they have poses of pitchers batting and batters throwing so that theory is out the window.

Sorry I couldn't help, Mike. I thought I would try to make you look a little better but I don't think it worked.

Lee

Old 05-18-2004, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

Hold on, I want my turn to have some fun before the thread is deleted...

Actually that's a good question. Not everyone is a baseball historian. The whole idea of a good bulletin board is to have knowledgable contributors that aren't going to poke fun at all the silly questions that are asked... hahahaha... just kidding...

Hugh Jennings was a player manager whose playing days were pretty much over in 1903.

Clark Griffith had a batting pose in the set but his playing days were pretty much over around the same time as McGraw and Duffy.

Fred Lake appears in the T206 set, he was the manager for Boston but he appeared in 3 games in 1910 after a 12 year absence from playing for Pittsburgh in 1898.

It would have been neat to see a Connie Mack card in the monster.

Old 05-18-2004, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

where he looks like he's sitting on the crapper reading the paper. I forget which one it is.

Old 05-18-2004, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: bcornell

Mike has proven that there are no dumb questions. At least, I think he has.

McGraw got in to T207, as well. He's the only manager in this set and is shown fielding (?).

Weirdest manager inclusion I can think of is Frank Bancroft in T204. Clark Griffith was the actual manager and is included in the set, but why Bancroft is there is anyone's guess - he managed 16 games for the Reds in 1902 and never again. One possibility is that the 11x11 sheet (121 players) needed one more body and Old Frank got lucky.

Bill

Old 05-18-2004, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Maybe Frank Bancroft actually made the T204 set and put himself in it just because he could

I think the real story is Bancroft was a good friend of superstar shortstop Tom Rielly,and Tom said he wouldnt appear in the set unless Mr Bancroft was also in it.Not wanting to lose Rielly from the set for obvious reasons the Ramly people decided to let Bancroft appear in the set and the rest is history

Old 05-18-2004, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bcornell

To take this in-joke further: who would want to hoard T204's of a lifetime .180 hitter? The same guy who's going to pay $24.95 shipping & handling for 2 cards...

Bill

Old 05-18-2004, 01:28 PM
Administrator

I knew i shouldve waited beofre i wrote that and i have a feeling i shouldnt have included anti-red sox slogans in my payment to you.

but 24.95? does that mean youre overnighting the cards?

I wouldnt call 3 T204s of the same guy "hoarding" its not like having 16 old judge cards of the same guy,now that would be hoarding

Old 05-19-2004, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Verrill

I think the fact that Duffy is depicted with a bat misrepresents his true role, as Manager, not active player. It also could possibly reflect on the actual expertise and understanding (umm, lack thereof) of the artist that drafted this pose of Duffy with bat.

JV

Old 05-19-2004, 09:06 AM
Administrator

In the olden days, coaching staffs were not what they are today and managers took a much more active role in player development if they were so inclined. Showing Duffy working a bat is indicative of his active role in player development. There were also a lot more player-managers, which means that the idea of seeing a manager on the field was not anomalous. This carries over to the modern era in some cases. Tommy LaSorda was well known for throwing BP while he managed.

Old 05-19-2004, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

It would have been nice to see McGraw in a boxing pose...

Old 05-19-2004, 01:51 PM
Administrator

I just got an N300 of him (yay) and he's kind of cockeyed...Oddly coincidental how a guy with Shaq's eyes hits .438 and Shaq's free throw % is about that