NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-30-2014, 11:14 PM
Bill Gregory

Default Did I just screw up?

I was looking at one of the ungraded T206 cards I got recently, a beautiful Sam Crawford throwing. And I mean really beautiful. But it had just a little bit of what looked like a fine pencil line, a very small one, to the left of the subject. I took one of my erasers, a Pentel clic eraser, which, for those of you unfamiliar with them, is a non-abrasive polymer eraser made to remove pencil lead marks. It looked light, not at all like it would leave a physical mark on the surface. I very lightly ran it over the surface, and it seemed to remove a little. I tried my other eraser, a Staedtler Mars plastic eraser, and it did a better job. There' still a small trace of the line, but it looks better. However, it looks like it did ever so slightly lighten part of the background, and I'm wondering if I just goofed up any grading I could have done on the card.

I'll give you guys a few pictures to look at, before and after.

I could remove the remainder of that little trace line using just the edge of the Mars eraser, but that would lighten the area further. It's not really noticeable unless you're looking for it purposely, but that little bit of line that remains could guide a grader's eyes there. It was more like graphite dirt, and not any writing that I was trying to clean up.

I would appreciate everybody's input. Thank you!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 08-30-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:33 PM
Luke Lyon

I think I would just leave it raw to avoid the possibility of being really bummed if it comes back a 1.5. I don't know if they would notice it, but it seems like something they would be trying to catch. Beautiful card regardless.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:16 AM
Bill Gregory

Thank you for the input, Luke.

You know, I understand why tpgs have broken their grading down the way they have, but if you look at that card, it's pretty spectacular looking. Ok, so it has a minute little line, and just a hint of lighter background around it. It's not a perfect card by any means. But should that destroy the card's grade? There need to be graduated point deductions, because this card is better looking than a lot of the PSA 4s I've seen. If you have to stare at something under a loupe to see the flaw, it shouldn't carry a heavy fine.

Maybe what I'm saying is that this whole grading thing is BS.

Maybe I'll just keep it, build my set without getting it graded, and when I'm done, I'll get another copy of the Crawford throwing graded, and start a second collection of T206 Hall of Famers.

God, I really wish that PSA, SGC and Beckett didn't exist. It's easy to say "well, then don't get your cards graded", but being what I am, still a broker at heart, I can't simply ignore it, because I know the other people in the market don't ignore it. And if it ever came to pass where something truly horrific happened and I had to sell my collection, having them not graded would greatly impact what I could get for them.

I hate this. I want to just have a beautiful set that I can enjoy. But I can't turn that part of the brain off that says "hey, if you do pop that Walter Johnson portrait out, you're knocking off 1/3 of its resale value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeLyon View Post
I think I would just leave it raw to avoid the possibility of being really bummed if it comes back a 1.5. I don't know if they would notice it, but it seems like something they would be trying to catch. Beautiful card regardless.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:40 AM
Matt

Bill,

Know that there are collectors out there who throw the grade out the window or at least do not let it weigh so heavily in their buying decisions, and thus buy based on eye appeal. So other people in the market do in fact ignore it, to varying degrees. (Heck, I just shattered the VCP average on a 1960 Yaz in 7 because I wanted one with no tilt, no PD on his name, and centering. Some would say, "You paid WHAT?," and yet I'm over the moon to have my dream specimen.)

So if you have beautiful cards, which you do, trust in your good eye and when or if the time ever comes to sell, also trust that there will be those who think like you who will eventually find and want the cards. If it's a 1.5 that looks that great, it will sell for a nice premium.

The grading rules like, "a pinhole or paper loss automatically knock a card down to 1," are arbitrary and not all collectors embrace those standards as their own or look at them as sacrosanct. In the end the individual controls what parts of the brain are switched on and off, so to speak, so you are in total control. I would say enjoy the cards and never let the zany grading game hang you up or hinder your enjoyment of cards and collecting.

Best,

Matt

Last edited by MattyC; 08-31-2014 at 01:43 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:51 AM
Mark Hooks

Bill, I think you really screwed it up and should sell it to me for pennies on the dollar.

Actually, that is an awesome Crawford before and after. Nice job on the pick-up.

Mark
Old 08-31-2014, 06:59 AM
Er1c Sh@rp.

Why holder it? Put it in a 20 card sheet and enjoy flipping through your collection.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:26 AM
Daryl

Erasure has been discussed a few times before on the board:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=152038

I consider erasing a mark to be an alteration, and therefore only worthy of being slabbed Authentic. A lot of members that I admire greatly disagree, and I respect that.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:56 AM
Mike C@.v3

I guess it may depend on what the mark on the card was actually originated from. If a TPG determines that it is indeed some sort of mark, they would dock you for that and if you continue to experiment until the mark is gone, the erasure would be obvious at that point and the card would show the alteration. So my vote is that you were probably damned either way

Regardless it is a nice card and you should enjoy it as such. And honestly, those types of cards are the best 1.5's to have because they are absolutely beautiful with no "real" flaw to take away from the card's appeal IMO.
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 08-31-2014, 09:58 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Bill,

No problem.

When you sell the card,

if it is graded poorly, just include some tin snips to crack the case

if it is raw, just include one of your erasers to finish the job.

The one below or perhaps a Milan 4830, one of my favs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg big-mistakes-eraser.jpg (15.3 KB, 341 views)

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:05 AM
Peter Spaeth

Creeping up on that 2000th post.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Creeping up on that 2000th post.
Aren't we all?

Oh wait you're creeping on 5000
Old 08-31-2014, 10:15 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean1125 View Post
Aren't we all?

Oh wait you're creeping on 5000
Peter is a bigger creep than we are.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:20 AM
Peter Spaeth

Yaz-like longevity stats.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-31-2014, 10:51 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Nice looking card! Imo i always leave cards "as is" unless they are beaters and paid little so nothing to lose if i mess it up.
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:33 PM
Ben Morton

I would be interested if the OP bought the card as a 4-5 rating, or if he bought low because of the flaw.

In any case, I agree with many others that like those low rated cards that look great - which is really the worst case scenario here.
Old 08-31-2014, 06:58 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post

Maybe what I'm saying is that this whole grading thing is BS.

God, I really wish that PSA, SGC and Beckett didn't exist.
That's my take, but I collect memorabilia, not cards.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:39 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centauri View Post
I would be interested if the OP bought the card as a 4-5 rating, or if he bought low because of the flaw.

In any case, I agree with many others that like those low rated cards that look great - which is really the worst case scenario here.
I just liked the card. I didn't see the little mark before I bought it, but when I got it, I thought it was just a little nick that would come off easily. It wasn't writing so much as it was just an errant pencil mark, which is why I tried to just wipe it off. Even with just the lightest of pressure, though, it took a little white off.

Oh well. I'll submit it with the rest and see how it goes. It's still a beautiful card, and one would think it would grade pretty well. If it's a low grade, I won't enjoy it any less, and it would command a premium for a card of its grade. I just want uniformity with my collection, so I'll have to decide on a tpg to do my entire collection.

Thanks for the input, all. If anybody else would like to comment, I'd appreciate reading your advice or input.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:44 PM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Yaz-like longevity stats.
It would seem that I am more a sprinter with this post count I've jumped out to. But I assure you that I am conditioned for the long haul.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:56 PM

I much prefer the lighter background
"I am an outcast, and I haven't a good name. I'm the loser, just like all gamblers are. I lived to make great plays. What did I gain? Nothing. Everything was lost because I raised hell after hours. I was a wise guy, a know-it-all, I guess."
-Hal Chase