NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-25-2009, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Default caveat to sellers, OR, why Delivery Confirmation means nada.

Posted By: Al

Got a call today from a lady who lives a bit over 2 miles from me. Lady says she received a small package addressed to me, but it was in her mailbox today. Her street address is 115 Dogwood Trail, mine is 115 Walnut Court, not even remotely close. The lady was kind enough to look me up in the phone book and give me a call.

The kicker here is that the piece was sent with Delivery Confirmation. No doubt the mail carrier scanned the piece into his/her little computer thingy telling the great Post Office computer that the piece had in fact been delivered. It was delivered ok, but a long way from where it was supposed to be received. The addressing was perfect, a computer printed label with the eBay logo at the top and paypal logo on the bottom. My name and address could not be more clear.

IMO, signature required (automatic with insurance over $200) is the only way to ship cards. You only have to have one "unpleasant" experience like I just did to ruin your day...I got lucky on this one.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Al, that story is pitiful. I have two questions:

1) what was in the package?
2) is Newman your mailman?

Old 04-25-2009, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard Simon

Sounds like Cliff Clavin to me.
==

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 04-25-2009, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeremy

Al,

I could not agree with you more...

Insure for $200+ everytime and you have guaranteed that a postman has to go to the consignee's door and ask for the sig of the person who it is addressed to...

Only downside is if there was a lost, stolen, misdelivered pkg, you have no tracking to prove it, but you can certainly file a claim that can take around 4-6 weeks to get paid.

If you want total comfort, insure for over $200, add the Delivery Signature Required sticker in addition to the Insurance sticker and you get tracking and insurance. (Of course cost a few bucks extra)

~ Jeremy ~

Old 04-25-2009, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike C

In my experience it still doesn't matter how many confirmations, tracking, etc on the package...it is up to the mail carrier.

I have had 2 cards require delivery signature. Both times, and this was two different carriers, they signed for the cards and put the "come get your package or we'll try again" slip in my mailbox.

Both times, checking tracking online, item says delivered but I never received. Why? Because instead of leaving the package in my secure mailbox (I live in a condo) they took it back to the post office. Two different carriers did this. And then when I talked to the Post Master, he said this happens all the time. Both times it took them 24 hours to find the packages; even though marked as delivered.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al

It was a 1955 Topps, #32, Ed McGhee PSA 8. I would hate to have lost the card to the gross incompetence of the USPS.

The lady BTW was very nice and said she gets mail "all the time" with 115...addresses. I will of course bring this to the attention of the Postmaster of the P.O. from which my mail comes.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

Cliff took too much pride in his civil service to ever let such a travesty occur.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Chuck Ross

I had a similar experience a number of years back with a card I needed for my collection that I bought from another collector. I got the "come get your package or we'll try again" card and promptly showed up the next morning to pick it up. Unfortunately, they couldn't find it and never did find it. A bigger problem was that the system showed it as being delivered and I'm not sure the other collector ever really believed the story. Since it was only about a $50 card I just let it go but this thread just revived that unpleasant memory.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:10 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Notwithstanding what is right and fair, as shameful as that may be...

What Paypal wants is Delivery Confirmation, they don't care whether the confirmed recipient actually received the item. So Delivery Confirmation means quite a bit to Paypal, even if we should remain a bit skeptical.