NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-25-2009, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Default $40.000.000 + for the 1rst Pick o/t football

Posted By: Rand

how does this make any sense? over $40,000,000 guaranteed with the 1rst pick. how in the world did this come about with the collective bargaining agreement, its the most screwed up system i know of. except for 1, the credit card companies allowed to jack you interest rate up to 30% when they feel like it.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

And being a Georgia Tech guy, may Matthew Stafford flop. Sorry Detroit. After seeing Stafford for three years he never really had "that game" in college that was his signature win. Big arm, not that "it" that the greats have.

On the other hand...any SoCal guys have an opinion on Brian Cushing? Looks like Atlanta could take him. happy.gif

Old 04-25-2009, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Somehow I suspect if Matt Cassel can be a successful NFL QB, Stafford can as well (as for QBs with great pedigrees, how is Matt Leinhart doing thus far?).
All that being said, if I were the Lion's GM I wouldn't want the first pick in this year's draft and have to pay all that guaranteed money to an unproven QB.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Jeff-

Please don't start "up-talking" a UGA player and likewise I won't start on any UNC guys. happy.gif

Old 04-25-2009, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

I never understand complaints about players getting paid too much. If the choice is players getting it or owners keeping it, should we side with the owners? Nobody puts a gun to the owners heads. Detroit had their pick of anyone they wanted. If the market says Stafford is worth $40 million and that's who they want, so be it.

Jeff, I agree about not wanting the top picks, especially in football where one or two guys can not turn around a team. If you'll notice, in recent NFL history, the good teams usually trade down in the draft, giving up early round picks to get multiple, later round picks.

If I were a Lions fan, I'm not so worried about who the #1 pick is or how much they pay him, but I'm very worried about the likelihood that they will screw up the other 4 picks they have in the top 75-80. That's their track record.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Jim-

The big problem is your paying unproven rookies the same thing your paying a Larry Fitzgerald or a Tom Brady. The first round is so hit and miss (big emphasis on the top 10) that it gets crazy thinking about how many NFL busts there are making huge money (and we have our own in a DE in Atlanta that can't play but was a high pick and a big salary cap hit).

I do think the players union should get a new deal done where there is a cap on rookies and leave the big money for the proven players in the league.

Can you imagine in baseball having a couple "hot prospects" come up when the rosters are exanded in September and both those guys make what Albert Pujols makes?

Old 04-25-2009, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Dave, you've got a deal. happy.gif

And while QBs are tough to project (remember the hand wringing over whether to choose Ryan Leaf or Peyton Manning?), RBs are not immune from the same problem. After seeing Reggie Bush play in college, who would have thought he'd be such an average runner in the NFL?

Old 04-25-2009, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

This is how the system works, next year the #1 will be guaranteed $45 - $50 million.
Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 04-25-2009, 11:16 AM
Administrator

Jeff-

All the combines, tests, measurements...I don't know that the percantage of who's gonna make it and who's not would change much if all of the GM's grandmothers had to make the calls.

Although I do feel like Thomas Dimitroff did just fine "guessing" at Matt Ryan last year. Maybe he will get "lucky" again picking in the bottom of the round this time.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Joe-

Are you a Lions fan? Something is wrong when Joey Harrington put his name on the dotted line in 2002 and got $36+ million for six years. And yes..this is how the system works...which is why so many consider it broke.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim VB

"the players union should get a new deal done where there is a cap on rookies and leave the big money for the proven players in the league."

Well, I agree, but that's not the system they have now. Besides, shouldn't a good organization, with a good owner, be doing this already? That's why the good teams want to trade down.

Also Dave, the guys who always complain about how much a player makes don't confine themselves to the top 5 picks in the NFL. They also complain about ARod, CC, and Manny. And if Albert Pujols ever decided to become a free agent, they'll complain about him too.

The money is there. I'd rather see the players get it than the owners. The good teams and the good owners will spend it wisely. The bad ones will always be close to going 0-16 again.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: joe

Dave, yes I am a Lion's fan and I don't like the system either. I think after next year it is suppose to change. I do like Stafford though, I know we need defensive linemen and offensive linemen, just don't like the 1st pick for those players. I don't think they can make the impact of a QB. Not sure what happened to Harrington, his 1st 2-3 games were pretty good and he degressed from there. I am hoping our new coach can make a difference. happy.gif

Joe

Ty Cobb, Spikes flying!

Old 04-25-2009, 11:36 AM
Administrator

Joe-

So I take it you were for Stafford over the LB'er Curry? I'm not real familiar with Detroit's roster..but obviously if the defense is as bad as it seems like I remember last year things won't matter much. And do the Lions have a decent O-line to even keep Stafford off his back?

By the way...I am a huge Calvin Johnson fan and would gladly take him back in Atlanta. happy.gif

Old 04-25-2009, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JDRUM

To be as profoundly pathetic as the Lions have been for as long as they have, it has to have a lot more to do with the folks running the place and making the decisions than it does the players, right? But there is always hope. Take it from a 40+ year Cardinal football fan, eventually you may succeed in spite of yourself.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:59 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Jennings

The Panthers just gave Jake Delhomme a 42 million dollar contract, so I guess the Lions got a better deal. Yes, I'm a Jake hater.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: D. Bergin

You know the present system is a bit off regarding rewarding 1st round picks in the NFL.

Can anybody explain to me why Kellen Winslow Jr. has consistently made more money since he came into the league then Tony Gonzalez has over the same time span?

Old 04-25-2009, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rand

i was not complaining about the salary. what my problem is with who it is going to. how in the hell did it come to fruition that college drafted players are to earn that kind of dough without playing the game at the professional level? proven players should get the money, not guys that are drafted, unproven. the league and salary cap would be much better if the rookies had a sliding set scale of pay and years. like the nba. it is not free agency, the draft has an order and it is what it is. the system is all wrong.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony S.

At least he isn't Alex Smith. Yet.

Old 04-25-2009, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

There's a reason why the Lions have been horrible for a long time. They have a history of making bad and dumb personnel choices. If one thinks the Stafford contract is dumb, remember that we're talking about the Lions here.

This is a hail Mary from a team that is desperate. About 50 percent of quarterback #1 draft packs don't succeed, and about about 50 percent over quarterback overall #1 draft picks are washouts-- which explains why this is a hail Mary. The chance for success or failure remain the same with the #1 pick, but it's about the amount of money you put into the pick, in particular when the money culd be spent on multiple picks and/or known quantity veterans.

This is a good contract for the next Peyton Manning, but it might be a contract for the next Alex Smith.