NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-14-2010, 07:48 PM
David McDonald

Default **Newsflash** PSA SUCKS!

PSA: What the HELL is this?
(Answer: A thousand dollar turd)

Old 12-14-2010, 07:50 PM
Ken Wirt

Holy crap!
Old 12-14-2010, 08:00 PM
JeR@Me

Default Omg

Geez David... I am sorry to see this... So much for PSA Quality Control... Seriously, I can envision it was centered in the holder when it left, but obviously was loose due to improper fit, and boom - Shipping took care of the rest. Probably was not even mishandled. Just simply the wrong holder. (Obviously)

That sucks.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:13 PM
Michael S

What a crock. And not to pile on but we also see plenty of cards loose in holders that bug the heck out of me.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:16 PM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Psa

Looking forward to seeing what PSA does for you.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:54 PM
Fred

Oh my goodness, can it really be a PSA sucks thread... it's been too long.

David, that's just aweful. I'd be really pissed off. They may offer you 10 free submissions for that mistake. Do you have any Conlon photos that you'd like to have encapsulated?
Old 12-14-2010, 08:58 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default that does suck

That does suck David. That picture will never quite be the same. Sorry you are going to have to go through some hassles. What a shame on both fronts.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:02 PM
Clayton

WTF?! That's B/S..........I think PSA needs to reimburse you what you paid for that photo. What a shame- hope it works out for you David.

Sincerely, Clayton
Old 12-14-2010, 09:09 PM
David McDonald

Default Beeeeeg Scan

Won the photo in the recent Goodwin auction. NW and SE corners were already a tad bumped in Goodwin's scan. I don't hold him to blame. The holder is entirely inappropriate for its purpose - the photo will swim all over until it wedges itself in the sides **BRR-RING ... BRR-ING** Holy Smokes! It's Bill Goodwin on the line in mid-sentence. Bill is very apologetic, offers a refund or whatever I would like. I'd like to keep McMullin - it was to be the anti-Zeenut in my seat-of-the-pants Black Sox collection (I'll bust it out into a toploader) - so Bill offers a very generous rebate. McDonald is taken care of and no longer fouling the air with blue verbiage and, what's more, Bill promises to advise Joe Orlando that his photo holders need to go back to the drawing board (on account of they suck) and so the Hobby might become a slightly better place as a result. I just love a happy ending.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:11 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Oh my goodness, can it really be a PSA sucks thread... it's been too long.

David, that's just aweful. I'd be really pissed off. They may offer you 10 free submissions for that mistake. Do you have any Conlon photos that you'd like to have encapsulated?
No, Fred. No Conlon photos. But I do have one by Benjamin Falk that I'd like to shove up Bill Mastro's ass.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:09 PM
T0NY @

David that's just horrible. A design change on PSA's part so the picture has no play inside the sleeve is very necessary after seeing this. Sad, a beauty like this can survive 100+ years in a harsh environment only to be screwed up in a matter of minutes due to something as silly as poor planning. Simply uncalled for.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:09 AM
qu@n nguy3n

that's kind of disturbing. good job by bill. i was going to suggest getting a refund from the seller and let him deal with psa but bill's already taken care of the matter.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:08 AM

Hmmm..its hard to believe after all this time...you would think a light bulb will go off in the heads of the design team... typing this as I stare at a E90-1 floating sideways in my older PSA holder...
Old 12-15-2010, 05:00 AM
John

Remember this thread for the next time we see the question "Should I use PSA or SGC for grading?" Time for PSA to execute their damage control-business continuity plan.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:21 AM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Remember this thread for the next time we see the question "Should I use PSA or SGC for grading?" Time for PSA to execute their damage control-business continuity plan.
WRONG
I may choose SGC for other reasons but I had an oversized 4 figure card delivered to me that had moved inside an SGC holder and caused corner damage
Craig
Old 12-15-2010, 06:21 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

You need to start a web site psasucks.com where everyone can post their crappy work product.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 12-15-2010 at 06:25 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:44 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchod View Post
WRONG
I may choose SGC for other reasons but I had an oversized 4 figure card delivered to me that had moved inside an SGC holder and caused corner damage
Craig

I like SGC better than PSA, but Craig is 100% correct. This can happen to any grading company. I put more of the blame on the packing/shipping methods. I recently picked up a few common T3s and they were tossed, loosely, in a box with a few other things. After rattling around for a few days, this was the result:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T3 Ames.jpg (72.6 KB, 436 views)
File Type: jpg T3 Criger.jpg (75.3 KB, 434 views)
File Type: jpg T3 Downey.jpg (74.9 KB, 435 views)
File Type: jpg T3 Hofman.jpg (75.2 KB, 437 views)
Old 12-15-2010, 06:58 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
You need to start a web site psasucks.com where everyone can post their crappy work product.
A facebook page is easier...
Old 12-15-2010, 08:06 AM

Jim VB,

That sucks with your T3's. I like SGC but one thing I noticed is the gaskets they use are thin. Why don't they use a thicker gasket material? If a T3 can slide in between the gasket and the holder, there is obviously enough space to accomodate a thicker gasket.

Another thing I noticed about the gaskets is that after they are cut, they are pretty rough on the inner portion. Not sure if this has ever damaged a card, but you would think some improvements could be made. You can actually see some of the chipped off border on the T3 Downey.

Mike

Last edited by docpatlv; 12-15-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Gr.eg Per.ry

A thicker gasket would be better for SGC.

Why would anyone put a photo in the PSA no-gasket holders? Same with PSA's card holders where the card is just floating around, its awful for the card and awful looking.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:33 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by M's_Fan View Post
A thicker gasket would be better for SGC.

Why would anyone put a photo in the PSA no-gasket holders? Same with PSA's card holders where the card is just floating around, its awful for the card and awful looking.
Just to reiterate what M's Fan just said: the PSA holder had no gasket - my scan did not not make that fact apparent. The sleeve is much larger than the photo, hence there was plenty of room for the photo to slip and slide and do the hootchy-koo. I realize that this problem is not limited to photos but to cards also, and not just to PSA but SGC too. I disagree about the "awful looking" part. Were the sleeve appropriately sized and the photo properly secured (and if these geniuses ever learned to spell) I think it would present quite nicely.
And, to add, the two photos were in a padded envelope tight in a box snug within a second box kinda like one of them Russian dolls. The only thing more Bill G. could have done was have it hand carried by virgins from St Louis to Honolulu. Packing was not the problem here.

Soxs?
(Photo not mine)
Old 12-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
The only thing more Bill G. could have done was have it hand carried by virgins from St Louis to Honolulu.

Is this another of your wild ass rants, or is it the start of a business plan?
Old 12-15-2010, 12:43 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
Is this another of your wild ass rants, or is it the start of a business plan?
I think you're mistaking me with that Van Brunt fellow.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:36 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
The only thing more Bill G. could have done was have it hand carried by virgins from St Louis to Honolulu.
Pffffft. Bill refused to go the extra mile.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:52 PM
Eric Bea.chley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
It's available which is surprising since most companies buy the *sucks name just to avoid others from getting it.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:23 PM
Jake Dahl

Dave, hey man sorry on the that crap psa messed up a cool vintage wire photo, I would be sending back a very bad letter along with never using their services, good luck and keep us informed to what happens
Old 12-15-2010, 04:53 PM
5t3v3...D4.w50n

I feel your pain Jim, regarding the problem with your T3's.

The same thing happened to me with an R303-A Ted Williams. The holder wasn't properly sealed and came open during shipping, allowing the card to slide down behind the gasket.

I refuse to send it back to SGC through the mail, as I feel that would make the card susceptible to further damage. I'm still waiting to be able to have it reholdered by SGC at a show, since I'm in San Antonio TX, and SGC doesn't come to any of the shows in Texas

Steve
Old 12-16-2010, 09:07 PM
Rhett Yeakley

I just got this in the mail--It doesn't look like any damage was done to the card and I had planned on setting him loose anyways but it did make me laugh a little when I saw it.
-Rhett

ebay store: kryvintage-->https://www.ebay.com/sch/kryvintage/...p2047675.l2562
Old 12-18-2010, 03:30 PM
Pup6913

obviously PSA has issues with everything in the holders.

This is Jay's from the BST

http://www.qualitycards.com/pictures/17931434.jpg
Old 12-18-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-2-count View Post
David that's just horrible. A design change on PSA's part so the picture has no play inside the sleeve is very necessary after seeing this. Sad, a beauty like this can survive 100+ years in a harsh environment only to be screwed up in a matter of minutes due to something as silly as poor planning. Simply uncalled for.
No. It wasn't screwed up due to "poor planning." It was screwed up by having undergone a completely unnecessary encapsulation.

When was the last time you saw a museum or archive have a photo encapsulated? Yeah. That's right. Never.

There's a reason for that.