NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-25-2014, 10:04 AM
Mike F.

Default Happy 100th Birthday Joe Di Maggio

Read it on the back of a baseball card last week and checked it on wikipedia.

Its Joe DiMaggio's 100th Birthday today.

BTW, This summer, I was on vacation from Buffalo, NY and I was in Martinez, CA at the DiMaggio Bakery, and went to the street that was named after him, and spent some time looking in San Francisco trying to find areas where Joe may have played.

I never saw him play or anything like that but thought is was cool to try to find things out about him.

Found no Zeenuts out there...thought they might be laying around for the taking in some antique shops boy was I wrong....

Well back to work...
Old 11-25-2014, 10:34 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Joe D and my daughter share the same birthday. She turned 18 today.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:42 AM
Scott S

At the ripe age of 41, at the 1955 HOF induction, Joe D. graced this ball with his signature. Some 59 years later, it remains one of my favorite items!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ball1.JPG (29.4 KB, 190 views)
Old 11-25-2014, 12:05 PM
Ken Wirt

HBD, Mr. Coffee!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 75. Joe DiMaggio.jpg (81.0 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg 83. Joe McCarthy.jpg (77.0 KB, 177 views)
Old 11-25-2014, 12:08 PM
qualitycards

Had Dimag (& Ted Williams) sign this piece at an Atlantic City card show in '89.
Both were gentleman & a pleasure to talk to

Old 11-25-2014, 12:15 PM
Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Joe D and my daughter share the same birthday. She turned 18 today.

See Leon I knew we had something in common!! Its mine too! Wish your daughter a Happy Birthday! Tell her also it was JFK Jrs Birthday Also!!

Trying is the first step towards failing, and failing is the first step towards success!

Life's lessons cost money Some lessons cost a lot..

Last edited by batsballsbases; 12-08-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:19 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Met Joe D. at a San Jose show in the late 80's and had him sign this photo. I left very impressed and I have been a Joe D. fan ever since.

Old 11-25-2014, 12:23 PM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
Had Dimag (& Ted Williams) sign this piece at an Atlantic City card show in '89.
Both were gentleman & a pleasure to talk to

Cool piece. And the best thing is that you don't need to tell anyone who the signatures are since they are all legible!
Old 11-25-2014, 12:49 PM
qualitycards

Taylor it took me about 2 decades to assemble its. Its the 100th anniversary of Baseball stamp First Day Cover in 1939 to commemorate the opening of the Hall Of Fame.
All signatures are of players who are Hall Of Famer's and played in 1939 except Waite Hoyt who retired a year earlier.
It now resides in my sons collection and will be earmarked to give to his son who is 3 now on the 100th anniversary of the piece.

I imagine if my grandfather would have done this for me w/ signatures from Cap Anson, Roger Connor, John Ward, John Clarkson and the like.
Old 11-25-2014, 03:54 PM
Marc S.

I met Joe D. approximately 22 years ago, at Barry Halper's house. One of my favourite collecting memories:

Old 11-25-2014, 07:59 PM
Barry Arnold

Default 100

I saw him hit a homerun in an old timers game aeons ago but he's etched in
my memory like yesterday.

all the best,
barry
Old 11-25-2014, 08:21 PM
Christopher Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
At the ripe age of 41, at the 1955 HOF induction, Joe D. graced this ball with his signature. Some 59 years later, it remains one of my favorite items!
Very nice, Scott.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:40 PM
Peter Spaeth

One of the books about him, I forget which now, portrays him as a complete asshole but that seems contrary to a lot of anecdotal evidence. For example there's a couple of youtube videos of him on What's My Line and he's quite affable and seemingly genuine.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:21 PM
Bry@n

Peter - the newest Mantle bio The Last Boy also doesn’t paint Joe D in a very favorable light though he is admittedly a minor part of it. And now for my anecdote.

--------

I met Joe D in 199(5?) at the National in Chicago. I think he was charging $150 for an autograph so a teenage Jobu didn’t get one. However, my tale does not end here.

As luck would have it, my brother, father and I all chose to relieve ourselves mere seconds before Joe made the same call. My brother, 13 months younger than me, pissed to my left while Joe D, unbeknownst to me, pissed to my right. My brother started elbowing me and making noises in an effort to get me to look to my right. Thinking this was just typical younger brother harassment intended to cause me to break urinal etiquette and look at the guy next to me, I told him to knock it off and went to wash my hands. When I turned around from the sink I came face to face with Joe, who was stopped and looking right at me while waiting for my sink. My reaction must have been priceless, mouth immediately flying open and eyes wide, because Joe cracked a smile and said “Gotta take a piss, huh kid?” while he tapped me lightly on the arm. I was too shocked to offer much of a response, I think I cracked a half smile and nodded yes. But wait, there is more!

My dad, born in 1943, brother and I then walked out of the restroom grinning like kids who had just been given $50 and were about to be set loose in a candy store. As we slowly walked away, smiling from our encounter, I learned that my father did not share my concern for restroom etiquette, or at least was willing to break the rules if the situation required it. It turns out he was pissing to Joe D’s right and had recognized his neighbor. He broke the silence by uttering a statement that I will never forget “I just saw the unit that was in Marilyn Monroe.”

I want to say happy birthday to Joe and thank you for being such a gentleman (though things might have turned out differently had he noticed my father!). Your willingness to interact with your fans gave me my favorite baseball story, one featuring an all-time great from baseball’s golden age and a bonding moment for the boys in my family. These two things, great players and shared moments, are what baseball is all about.

Last edited by Jobu; 11-26-2014 at 06:25 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 11-25-2014, 09:24 PM
Fred

Here's Joe and (4) other MLers during WW2. Wow, that picture is 70 years old now...

http://www.net54baseball.com/attachm...1&d=1416975740
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dimag_Sm_MLers.jpg (53.7 KB, 100 views)
Old 11-25-2014, 09:27 PM
Fred

Bryan,

That's a great story... thanks for sharing that, made my night.
Old 11-26-2014, 02:37 AM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
One of the books about him, I forget which now, portrays him as a complete asshole but that seems contrary to a lot of anecdotal evidence.
"The Hero's Life" by Richard Ben Cramer.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:22 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jobu View Post
Peter - the newest Mantle bio The Last Boy also doesn’t paint Joe D in a very favorable light though he is admittedly a minor part of it. And now for my anecdote.

--------

I met Joe D in 199(5?) at the National in Chicago. I think he was charging $150 for an autograph so I didn’t get one. However, my tale does not end here.

As luck would have it, my brother, father and I all chose to relieve ourselves mere seconds before Joe made the same call. My brother, 13 months younger than me, pissed to my left while Joe D, unbeknownst to me, pissed to my right. My brother started elbowing me and making noises in an effort to get me to look to my right. Thinking this was just typical younger brother harassment intended to cause me to break urinal etiquette and look at the guy next to me, I told him to knock it off and went to wash my hands. When I turned around from the sink I came face to face with Joe, who was stopped and looking right at me while waiting for my sink. My reaction must have been priceless, mouth immediately flying open and eyes wide, because Joe cracked a smile and said “Gotta take a piss, huh kid?” while he tapped me lightly on the arm. I was too shocked to offer much of a response, I think I cracked a half smile and nodded yes. But wait, there is more!

My dad, born in 1943, brother and I then walked out of the restroom grinning like kids who had just been given $50 and were about to be set loose in a candy store. As we slowly walked away, smiling from our encounter, I learned that my father did not share my concern for restroom etiquette, or at least was willing to break the rules if the situation required it. It turns out he was pissing to Joe D’s right and had recognized his neighbor. He broke the silence by uttering a statement that I will never forget “I just saw the unit that was in Marilyn Monroe.”

I want to say happy birthday to Joe and thank you for being such a gentleman (though things might have turned out differently had he noticed my father!). Your willingness to interact with your fans gave me my favorite baseball story, one featuring an all-time great from baseball’s golden age and a bonding moment for the boys in my family. These two things, great players and shared moments, are what baseball is all about.
Fantastic story! Great line from your dad!
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:57 PM
Bry@n

Glad y'all enjoyed it - I still smile every time I think about it.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:41 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
"The Hero's Life" by Richard Ben Cramer.
Right, read it a number of years ago, it just seemed gratuitously nasty and one-sided.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:48 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
One of the books about him, I forget which now, portrays him as a complete asshole but that seems contrary to a lot of anecdotal evidence. For example there's a couple of youtube videos of him on What's My Line and he's quite affable and seemingly genuine.
Peter- I here you, and that's what I always heard. I had a couple of relatives in Pro sports, and one of the biggest things you heard about DiMaggio was his nastiness and dislike towards Mantle. Let's face it, they were two completely different superstars. Also, his reluctance about autographs out in public was fairly well known. I wish I knew the true story behind him and Mantle....
Old 11-26-2014, 09:38 PM
Mike F.

Just getting back to the thread. Thanks for all the stories they all made great reading.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:54 PM
I@n Cl@rke

My best friend's grandpa was one of Joe D's golf buddies, but I never got to meet the man.. and regretfully, never got to see him (or many many many other greats) play.

Some cool stories so far (laughed about the "unit", which was apparently legendary), and seems further proof that people are often much more than their oft publicized personna/reputation.

Leaf Joe Dimaggio signed.jpg1939-1966 Salutation Exhibits Joe Dimaggio signed.jpg
Old 11-27-2014, 06:16 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

361 home runs, 369 strikeouts
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.