NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-10-2014, 09:28 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Default New Member intro - jason.1969

Joined a couple weeks back and feel like I came to the right place. Am returning to collecting following 20 years off. Somewhat new to the Chicago area and coming off a divorce, I am definitely interested in making a few local "real life" friends if any of you are in the area and would enjoy talking baseball, baseball cards, etc. over beer or a ballgame.

Collecting goals are a bit fluid but are probably these for now--

1. Add interesting but affordable things to my Hank Aaron collection

2. Get cards of each player in my 1933-1969 Top 50. (It's a bit of an odd construct...the idea is that I chose the top 50 players to appear on major issues as players between 1933 and 1969 with a goal of collecting and displaying one of each. I'm mostly done but notable needs are Ruth, Gehrig, Hornsby, Grove, and DiMaggio.)

3. Old magazines featuring Hank Aaron or Jackie Robinson on the cover. (Plus a few other players if I really like the cover.)

4. A few odds and ends like Steve Garvey's entire Dodger career and my 1957 Topps Brooklyn Dodgers team set

5. Famous physicists, especially Isaac Newton, for my seven-year-old son

Here are a few pictures of what I have.

A panorama of my Hank Aaron Wall Museum
Aaron_panorama.jpg

A highlight here is an original oil painting of the Hammer from a Milwaukee artist
Aaron_art.jpg

Here are my Hank Aaron cards from 1954-1976. I devoted one slot to Hank's brother Tommie, perhaps at the expense of the 1974 All Star card with Dick Allen.
Aaron_cards.jpg

My 1939 and 1941 LIFE mags with DiMaggio and Williams
LIFE mags.jpg

Three Jackie Robinson mags I just ordered
Jackie_Sport.JPG
jackie_2.JPG

Drop me a note if you're local and interested in meeting sometime.

Thanks,
Jason

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 11-10-2014, 09:40 AM
Bill Gregory

Welcome aboard, Jason!

Hmm...huge Hank Aaron fan, fan of physics. Are you sure we're not separated at birth? Are you originally from Chicago?

One thing I'd like to get is an autograph of Stephen Hawking. I'm a huge fan of his. I love physics, especially astrophysics. I got my first telescope when I was 5 years old.

Very nice collection, by the way. That display of your Aaron cards is killer, and I love the Fie and Sport Magazines. I look forward to seeing your collection grow. Have fun!

Bill

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:41 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Welcome

Jason,

Glad to have you on board. Great site. I like your Aaron display. The framed card display is very nice. Good luck!

peace, mike
Old 11-10-2014, 09:44 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Grew up in L.A. in the 1970/1980s, which explains the soft spot for Garvey! My field was math, but my son is a huge astrophysics buff. Have you seen the 1952 Topps Look n See set with cards of Galileo, Newton, and Einstein? These will make it into Jaden's xmas stocking this year.

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 11-10-2014, 10:55 AM
Barry Arnold

Default jason

welcome aboard the board!
I taught Hank Aaron's daughter back in the early 80s and was fortunate to
receive some of my most prized memorabilia of Aaron during this period.
all the best to you in your quest,
barry
Old 11-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Dustin Bellinger

Welcome to the board! Great pics of your collection. Thanks for sharing!

Collecting Hall of Famers and players with Nebraska connections.
Old 11-10-2014, 11:19 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Thanks. I got the display at:

http://www.pennzonidisplay.com/black...ballcards.aspx

I bought one for my Aarons and one for my "Top 50." The case and glass aren't what you'd call museum quality, and there is some trickiness to getting the cards to sit just right, but I'm overall very, very happy with the pickup.

Old 11-10-2014, 12:33 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

I can imagine Hawking autographs are very, very tough. I did stumble on this in a search...http://www.popculturesignatures.com/sthaausiabrh.html

After the sitewide 20% discount, you'd still be paying $1000! And I also saw that some Hawking autographs are "just" his thumbprint. Makes sense given his condition.

Old 11-10-2014, 01:51 PM
Bill Gregory

I didn't recall seeing the Look n See cards, but after looking them up on Google, it jarred my memory. They're 1952 Topps issues, so I expected they'd be pretty costly. But they're actually pretty affordable compared to the baseball set. A PSA 8 Christopher Columbus is being sold for $532.99. Very cool set.

I am not surprised that Hawking's signatures are valuable. But he was a well known scientist before the ALS had a complete hold of him. I think people have just hoarded his signatures over the years, so there aren't many left in circulation. A good signature would be worth $1,000 to me if it came with strong provenance.

One thing I'd be interested in knowing is how exemplars are done for him. I wonder if it's been pinpointed when the ALS started affecting his motor skills enough to where it would change his signature.

I'd love to have a signed copy of one of his lectures, or even his lecture notes. One of my favorites is the "Doe God Play Dice", based off the quote by Einstein.

The old professor has a sense of humor though.

Quote:
“Not only does God play dice but... he sometimes throws them where they cannot be seen.”

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:25 PM
Archive

Welcome to the Board

Nice collection!

Jantz
Old 11-10-2014, 09:40 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

And just tonight framed my 1957 Topps Brooklyn Dodgers team set! These cards had lived in a box for 20+ years, other than the Don Elston (who?) I just picked up last month and the homemade Jackie Robinson "card that should have been."

Last edited by jason.1969; 11-10-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:58 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Default Hank Aaron "wall museum" catalog

There is nothing "high end" here, but there was definitely a ton of love put in to building this Hank Aaron collection. Click the link below to see a full catalog of items.

https://jasoncards.files.wordpress.c...all-museum.pdf

My lone white whale continues to be the June 18, 1959, copy of Jet magazine. Could be a while on this one!

Jason
Old 11-26-2014, 12:34 PM

Welcome Jason from a Braves fan(pre 1999).
Go Buzz Capra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethicsprof View Post
welcome aboard the board!
all the best to you in your quest,
barry
Cool Barry.
Didn't know that.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:48 PM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethicsprof View Post
Barry, Accepting gifts from a student? Is that ethical?
Old 11-26-2014, 02:25 PM
Bry@n

Welcome aboard the board!

Chicago is a good place to live if you are looking to have a drink with some forum members as "The National" show is in Chicago next year.
Old 11-26-2014, 03:11 PM

Default Welcome....

sick collection
Old 11-26-2014, 03:39 PM
Alex

Cool collection. Aaron was a hell of player. Hawking isn't too bad either.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.