NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-10-2013, 04:02 AM
GaryPassamonte

Default Baseball CdVs

With all the discussion on the board about the Atlantics CdV and whether a CdV is a "card" or not, I thought it would be a good time to post some examples. CdVs, along with tintypes, were the first widely distributed form of photography and offer a glimpse into the uniforms, equipment, etc. of the earliest days of our game.
Also, I would like opinions on the total population of baseball CdVs in existence. The most common is the 1869 Red Stockings with probably 15-20 examples. Next would be the 1870 Athletics and 1875 Hartfords with about a half dozen each. After that, I can come up with a small group with a few known. The remainder would be unique. I'm including all in existence: teams, groups, individuals, famous or not.
I've discussed this with Barry in the past, and I believe we came up with an estimate of 200-300. Barry correst me if I'm wrong.
What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 63colburn.jpg (27.5 KB, 433 views)
Old 02-10-2013, 04:28 AM
Barry Sloate

Tough to say Gary. 200-300 is a reasonable guess, but it's really hard to know. The majority, of course, feature unidentified ballplayers, so most collectors go after the ones that are the most aesthetically pleasing: great uniforms, both bats and balls present, long pants and long beards, etc. And the earlier the better.

And the one Gary pictured above, which he purchased from me via the Mark Rucker collection, is one of the earliest known.

Last edited by barrysloate; 02-10-2013 at 04:30 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:44 AM
Phil Garry

Definitely cards to me............
Old 02-10-2013, 10:35 AM
CoreyRS.hanus

c. 1860 Brooklyn Atlantics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1860atlantics.jpg (68.5 KB, 373 views)

Last edited by Leon; 02-10-2013 at 10:44 AM. Reason: combined images
Old 02-10-2013, 11:48 AM

Don't invest in them. I plan on flooding the market with my collection of 5. Though one may just be a guy holding a stick.

Last edited by drc; 02-10-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:13 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Nice card Corey. Regardless of your definition, I guess that clearly eliminates the SRA card as being the first baseball card. Not that anyone who knew what they were doing thought that that CdV was the first baseball card anyway.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:23 PM

As a longtime photograph enthusiast, I've never thought a photo had to be labelled as a 'baseball card' to be good. In fact, I'm rather snooty and would take exception to people calling my photographs trading cards.

To me, I've found it rather comical that once something is called a 'baseball card' baseball card collectors are willing to pay triple the price.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Ken Wirt

This brings to mind a question I've had about the 1863 Jordan & Co. Harry Wright ticket/card (coming up for auction in the Spring REA):

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/...preview/3.html

If 150 of these were sold (according to the research), why has only 1 example surfaced? If people had paid the extra 25 cents to obtain one of these images, wouldn't more have been saved, perhaps in scrapbooks? Or does this even predate the scrapbooking era? It just seems like a relatively large number (with respect to ultra rare items), to have only one survive. Or maybe the fact that the Civil War was still raging, has something to do with it?

Also, my 2005 Standard Catalog lists George Wright instead of Sam Wright as part of this "set." Has this been corrected in later editions? I seem to recall seeing a George Wright CDV that was obviously taken in the same studio and at the same time, but did NOT have the game ticket info on the back. George apparently didn't play in the match.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:56 PM
Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by triwak View Post
This brings to mind a question I've had about the 1863 Jordan & Co. Harry Wright ticket/card (coming up for auction in the Spring REA):

If 150 of these were sold (according to the research), why has only 1 example surfaced? If people had paid the extra 25 cents to obtain one of these images, wouldn't more have been saved, perhaps in scrapbooks? Or does this even predate the scrapbooking era? It just seems like a relatively large number (with respect to ultra rare items), to have only one survive. Or maybe the fact that the Civil War was still raging, has something to do with it?

Also, my 2005 Standard Catalog lists George Wright instead of Sam Wright as part of this "set." Has this been corrected in later editions? I seem to recall seeing a George Wright CDV that was obviously taken in the same studio and at the same time, but did NOT have the game ticket info on the back. George apparently didn't play in the match.
In the preview it says less then 10 are known, but defintley more then 1. Unless your just talking about the Harry Wrighy card?

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!

Last edited by Jlighter; 02-10-2013 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:57 PM
Belltown Vintage

moved...no one gives a crap - my apologies for the interruption

Last edited by Runscott; 02-10-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:04 PM
Ken Wirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlighter View Post
In the preview it says less then 10 are known, but defintley more then 1. Unless your just talking about the Harry Wrighy card?

Yes, I was referring to the Harry Wright card only. Supposedly, 150 of those were sold.

Last edited by triwak; 02-10-2013 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:31 PM
R.L. Americana, LLC

Quote:

Ken, we actually have found some very interesting additional information that is directly related to how many of each card was sold. The writeup in the previews is very preliminary and quite a few changes will be made incorporating additional information. We will get the more complete and accurate version (which itself may be tweaked during the next two months!) up in a couple of days.

Sincerely,

Robert Lifson

Robert Edward Auctions LLC

www.RobertEdwardAuctions.com
Old 02-10-2013, 01:37 PM
GaryPassamonte

Corey- Your Atlantics image is the best baseball CdV extant. There is no close second. It is also one of the best early baseball pieces ( I'm afraid to say card ) there is.
The lack of baseball CdVs posted on this thread leads me to believe there may be fewer than I originally estimated.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:15 PM
Ken Wirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by REA View Post
Ken, we actually have found some very interesting additional information that is directly related to how many of each card was sold. The writeup in the previews is very preliminary and quite a few changes will be made incorporating additional information. We will get the more complete and accurate version (which itself may be tweaked during the next two months!) up in a couple of days.

Sincerely,

Robert Lifson

Robert Edward Auctions LLC

www.RobertEdwardAuctions.com

Thank you. Looking forward to the auction!
Old 02-10-2013, 08:09 PM

Whoops mine was a cabinet. Nevermind.

Last edited by packs; 02-10-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:30 AM
JeR@Me

Default CDV's

Gary - Interesting Thread. (Perhaps we need to wait a few months for some other examples to trickle in) It would be great to get most all these CDV's captured on one thread. Let the counting begin... Over time the populaton may become more clear.

Here is my Southern (New Orleans) CDV from 1870. These 2 Gents as it is described on the back : 1st Line : "Southern BBC" 2nd Line : "Pitcher and 1st baseman - 2nd Nine." (See bottom for description)

(The photographer, W.W. Washburn, autographed (diagonal) the reverse with studio address stamp) --- I have yet to find any info on these 2 players, but I have not researched outside the internet. When I am down to Nola, I plan on hitting the library for some clues... A fun project I look forward to...

Edited to add :

Photo Back : WW Washburn (Autographed by Photographer)
118 Canal Street, New Orleans (Back Stamp)

Photo Back wrote in ink : Compliments of Tom Simmons or Simms and Charles D Bradenburg/ C D Bradenburg ?
New Orleans, La 5th July 1870.

Bottom 1st Line : Southern BBC
Bottom 2nd Line : Pitcher and 1st base - 2nd nine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NewOrleansCDV1870-1.jpg (44.3 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg NewOrleansCDV1870-2.jpg (49.6 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg NewOrleansCDV1870-3.jpg (21.4 KB, 243 views)

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 02-12-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:45 AM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Good luck Jeremy. Those two could just as well be the local butcher and his brother. Anyone can write on the back at any time.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:51 AM
GaryPassamonte

Jeremy- Here is a CdV from Richmond, Virginia from 1867. The players are listed on the reverse and it is dated. Baseball CdVs from the South are extremely rare. I only know of two, the one I posted and one in Mark Rucker's CdV book. I also have one with a child holding a bat from Atlanta. If you count that there are three I know of.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17.jpg (22.7 KB, 219 views)

Last edited by GaryPassamonte; 02-11-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:05 AM
JeR@Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Good luck Jeremy. Those two could just as well be the local butcher and his brother. Anyone can write on the back at any time.
Jay - I get what you are saying and have had similar thought. (Where's the fountain pen expert ? )

Could the ink or style of writing be sampled scientifically to determine period ?

I don't see any real advantage for someone to write this post date on the reverse. Is it possible ? Sure, but this is not mainstream, not a popular player, etc. --- There really is no incentive to do this in my opinion, so would someone do this for the heck of it ? Seems like a waste of time to me, but if that is a meat cleaver in his pocket, then your guess might be a good one.

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 02-13-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:06 AM
GaryPassamonte

Here is the child with a bat. This is a very early, Civil War era CdV taken in Atlanta.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg atlanta.jpg (28.7 KB, 217 views)

Last edited by GaryPassamonte; 02-11-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:19 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleBaseball View Post
Jay - I get what you are saying and have had similar thought. (Where's the fountain pen expert ?

Could the ink or style of writing be sampled scientifically to determine period ?

I don't see any real advantage for someone to write this post date on the reverse. Is it possible - sure, but it's value is minimal anyway. Not mainstream, not a popular player, etc. --- There really is no incentive to do this in my opinion, so would someone do this for the heck of it ? Seems like a waste of time to me, but if that is a meat cleaver in his pocket, then your guess might be a good one.
I would have written '1st nine' rather than '2nd'.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:50 AM
JeR@Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryPassamonte View Post
Jeremy- Here is a CdV from Richmond, Virginia from 1867. The players are listed on the reverse and it is dated. Baseball CdVs from the South are extremely rare. I only know of two, the one I posted and one in Mark Rucker's CdV book. I also have one with a child holding a bat from Atlanta. If you count that there are three I know of.
Gary - Thanks for sharing - Could you show a scan of the reverse ? I am intrigued by these rascals.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Jake

There's a bunch in the next Legendary Auction.

Always up for a trade.

If you have a Blue Weiser Wonder WaJo, PM/Email Me!
Old 02-11-2013, 11:23 AM
JeR@Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I would have written '1st nine' rather than '2nd'.

Scott - When I look at the photo, the guy on the left looks like a pitcher and the guy on the right looks like a Manager (Hand on back) or possibly a butcher. Perhaps that is why he is on the 2nd nine. Nothing like being a back up player...
Old 02-11-2013, 11:47 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Scott - When I look at the photo, the guy on the left looks like a pitcher and the guy on the right looks like a Manager (Hand on back) or possibly a butcher. Perhaps that is why he is on the 2nd nine. Nothing like being a back up player...
I was generally 3rd nine, so these guys are impressive to me.

I agree with you - using common sense, there's no reason to think the writing on the back isn't accurate. Kind of strange in our hobby when it comes to using common sense - we'll let an item slide as 'okay' when common sense says to ask questions, but we'll analyze the hell out of something that common sense says there's no incentive for anyone to have messed with it.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:50 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
I recently wrote an article about a semi-pro baseball team whose star player was a butcher. I'm hoping this will help when I do future interviews - there have to be a few old folks around who remember buying meat from him when they were younger.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:26 PM

I think they were spies posing as baseball players in street clothes.

If you wanted, you could get an educated opinion on the age of the writing. A historical autograph expert/veteran might be able to give you an opinion.

Last edited by drc; 02-11-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:38 PM
JeR@Me

Default Cdv...

DRC - Thanks for the info... I am sure I will move that direction. If these names are correct, perhaps I can scrub to find the death certificates, confirm the name and then work my way back once I know the names on the reverse are accurate. I have no idea how good the record keeping in NO is in 1870. Should be fun research.

Photo Back : WW Washburn (Autographed by Photographer)
118 Canal Street, New Orleans (Back Stamp)

Photo Back wrote in ink : Compliments of Tom Simmons or Simms and Charles D Bradenburg/ C D Bradenburg ?
New Orleans, La 5th July 1870.

Bottom 1st Line : Southern BBC
Bottom 2nd Line : Pitcher and 1st base - 2nd nine

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 02-12-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:16 PM

There is a 19 year old Charles Brandenburg in NO in 1870, there are several Thomas Simms in Lousiana during that time.
Old 02-11-2013, 06:22 PM
Kenny Cole

This is the only one I have.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:03 AM
Ken Wirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
This is the only one I have.
That is the only one you need!!! Always love seeing that George Wright, Kenny. You have me to thank for upping the auction price on that one a little!
Old 02-12-2013, 04:11 AM
GaryPassamonte

Population update. I can come up with between 325 and 350 baseball CdVs located in various collections, libraries, and museums, excluding the HOF. It would seem my original estimate was low. A number of 400-500 seems more realistic at this point. Thanks to the board members who have corresponded with me so far.

Last edited by GaryPassamonte; 02-12-2013 at 05:54 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:40 AM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
You have me to thank for upping the auction price on that one a little!
Well, as long as my wife doesn't find out what the final hammer price was, all is good.

Last edited by Kenny Cole; 02-12-2013 at 05:41 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:24 AM
JeR@Me

Default Southern BBC CDV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
There is a 19 year old Charles Brandenburg in NO in 1870, there are several Thomas Simms in Lousiana during that time.
Thank you Scott for the info/research. It has allowed me to differentiate between Script letters (as well) on the reverse and actually draw some correlation from the possibility of that name and what is written at the bottom... "Southern BBC" -- C D Bradenburg... Also, I am finding through research on the 19th Century Baseball Teams & Tours Website that in 1870 the Cincy Club was on a Red Stockings Tour and played the Southern BBC of New Orleans. That may be a huge hint for me to figure out who these 2 players were... If the reverse is correct - Southern BBC, it is all starting to add up. Still lots of research to do, but I have some direction now. Appreciate your time & help!

A huge hint - Thank you,

JJ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NewOrleansCDV1870-3.jpg (21.4 KB, 156 views)

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 02-12-2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:53 AM

Default here are.............

a couple from our upcoming auction, the colorized one with the adhesive stamp of the photographer is especially interesting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img345.jpg (29.3 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg img346.jpg (26.0 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg img347.jpg (31.6 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg img348.jpg (26.9 KB, 150 views)
Old 02-12-2013, 11:36 AM
Belltown Vintage

I only have one - of a child cricket player - but I guess any 1860's cdv's that do not show baseball equipment or i.d. the subject to baseball, could be cricket players.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:49 AM

Never speculate about a bigger man's cards. The Mike Piazza rule.

Last edited by drc; 02-12-2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 11:57 AM
Phil Garry

Sorry, Kenny, that you are one of the less fortunate to ONLY have a George Wright CDV.........

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 02-12-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Shawn England

Default 1868-1869 Louisiana News

Not sure if this helps any... Here are some articles about the Southern BBC... One refers to the 2nd nine...
Old 02-12-2013, 02:38 PM
Shawn England

Default Just Found Brandenburg & Sims

Just found this... Talks about your two guys... Brandenburg & Sims..

This is from S. Derby Gisclairs web-site neworleans baseball. He is a member of the Society of American Baseball Research (SABR). Here is a link: Lots of stuff on the Souther BBC.

http://www.neworleansbaseball.com/ar...ybaseball.html

The playing of the Mandeville Club was good, particularly on the infield. John Angell, on the first base, and Pijon, on second, deserve especial mention, both gentlemen making excellent stops

and many good throws. Brandenburg, Sims, Waterman, and Brother of the Southern played their respective positions excellently well. A neat fly catch by Jones on the eighth inning elicited great applause and was well deserved.
To Mr. B. Philipert, the gentlemanly proprietor of the restaurant at Mandeville, the club desire to return thanks for his attentions, and for the excellent viands prepared by him and enjoyed by them.
Tom Dunn, the prince of barkeepers, did all in his power to add to the pleasure of our Southerns on their trip. He furnished the best of spiritual comfort from his well stocked bar on steamer Camellia, and by his urbanity and social manners won the favor of the Southerns, by whom he will long be remembered.
The following is the score of the game:
Southern
Mandeville

Umpire – H.C. Johnson of the R.E. Lee Club
Scorers – Jas. J. Wall of Southern, Mr. Sherwood of Mandeville Club

Last edited by smokelessjoe; 02-12-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
I only have one - of a child cricket player - but I guess any 1860's cdv's that do not show baseball equipment or i.d. the subject to baseball, could be cricket players.
I guess these could be cricket players, I have yet to do any research on them, just got them in. My first thought is that cricket would have been much more popular on the east coast than Chicago???

I have found Allaire in Chicago census data and will try to narrow down a club affilliation. ANY input on these is accepted and appreciated.

Last edited by sb1; 02-12-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:05 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
I guess these could be cricket players, I have yet to do any research on them, just got them in. My first thought is that cricket would have been much more popular on the east coast than Chicago???

I have found Allaire in Chicago census data and will try to narrow down a club affilliation. ANY input on these is accepted and appreciated.
I wouldn't expect to see any cricket photos out of Chicago - I assumed yours were baseball players.

I had a great team cdv of cricket players (East coast) that I sold or traded to a board member many years ago - it did look just like a baseball team, except for the cricket paddles.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:55 PM
JeR@Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokelessjoe View Post
Just found this... Talks about your two guys... Brandenburg & Sims..

This is from S. Derby Gisclairs web-site neworleans baseball. He is a member of the Society of American Baseball Research (SABR). Here is a link: Lots of stuff on the Souther BBC.

http://www.neworleansbaseball.com/ar...ybaseball.html

The playing of the Mandeville Club was good, particularly on the infield. John Angell, on the first base, and Pijon, on second, deserve especial mention, both gentlemen making excellent stops

and many good throws. Brandenburg, Sims, Waterman, and Brother of the Southern played their respective positions excellently well. A neat fly catch by Jones on the eighth inning elicited great applause and was well deserved.
To Mr. B. Philipert, the gentlemanly proprietor of the restaurant at Mandeville, the club desire to return thanks for his attentions, and for the excellent viands prepared by him and enjoyed by them.
Tom Dunn, the prince of barkeepers, did all in his power to add to the pleasure of our Southerns on their trip. He furnished the best of spiritual comfort from his well stocked bar on steamer Camellia, and by his urbanity and social manners won the favor of the Southerns, by whom he will long be remembered.
The following is the score of the game:
Southern
Mandeville

Umpire – H.C. Johnson of the R.E. Lee Club
Scorers – Jas. J. Wall of Southern, Mr. Sherwood of Mandeville Club
-Shawn - Incredible Info Find! You solved the mystery of this Southern BB CDV. I have been on the road all day and just sat down to curl up with some Net 54, and much to my surprise, the mystery is already solved! Thank you so much for taking the time to help out. Very Much appreciated - BTW - I contacted Mr. Gisclairs a few times last year re/ the CDV and we exchanged emails re/ the info, but couldn't get very far due to the names being incorrect. Thanks again to Scott B. for breaking the seal on those names. (That was huge)

-Gary - May we add another CDV to the short list of known Southern CDV's?
Old 02-13-2013, 02:51 AM
GaryPassamonte

Jeremy- There is no reason to doubt the legitimacy of the notations on the reverse of your CdV. Yes, it is a baseball CdV depicting Southern players in street clothes.