NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-07-2012, 07:39 AM
pete ullman

Default When top condition is not a good thing?

There are numerous vintage cards out there that are old and some obscure that can be found in very high numbers in top condition. Some sets that come to mind, M116 sporting life, tAngo eggs, wasn't there a mellow mint find yielding lots of high-grade cards? Those Spaulding cards of the mid-20s sports champions, those Colgan square cards... and now suddenly e98's.

All of these other sets are not terribly desirable... I think because so many high-grade examples are available. So now take a set like your e98... which was about as hot as can be the last few years... and all of a sudden there are a huge percentage of high-grade cards.

I believe there are far fewer collectors of high-grade cards then midgrade. it's funny viewing certain type collectors cards where most cards are in similar condition and then you'll see a near mt Tango eggs card surrounded by good/very good other cards.

What will become of e98?

I wonder if Bruce Dors kind Will be upgrading????

are too many high-grade cards undesirable in the hobby?

Last edited by ullmandds; 07-07-2012 at 07:42 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 07:48 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
There are numerous vintage cards out there that are old and some obscure that can be found in very high numbers in top condition. Some sets that come to mind, M116 sporting life, tAngo eggs, wasn't there a mellow mint find yielding lots of high-grade cards? Those Spaulding cards of the mid-20s sports champions, those Colgan square cards... and now suddenly e98's.

All of these other sets are not terribly desirable... I think because so many high-grade examples are available. So now take a set like your e98... which was about as hot as can be the last few years... and all of a sudden there are a huge percentage of high-grade cards.

What will become of e98?

are too many high-grade cards undesirable in the hobby?
First of all it is definitely NOT the square Colgans that have many high grade ones in the hobby. I am not sure I have seen more than 1-2 that are above a 4-5 grade and I have handled quite a few relative to their population. The round ones have a ton in high grade.

There are a lot of high grade collectors (not me) so the high grade E98s will have homes to go to. At what price is to be determined AND for the right price I might even add one to my collection.
I am still suspect of a lot of high grade cards, especially T206 and many 1950s (registry type) cards. The smaller the border the more suspect I am, but that is just me being suspicious. I am sure everything is ok .
Old 07-07-2012, 07:56 AM
pete ullman

Well I could be wrong... but I kind a remember Alan Hager dumping tons of those square Colgans onto the market in high-grade condition way back when?

Leon maybe you weren't in the hobby back then? Or maybe they were re-holdered as altered?
Old 07-07-2012, 08:12 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Well I could be wrong... but I kind a remember Alan Hager dumping tons of those square Colgans onto the market in high-grade condition way back when?

Leon maybe you weren't in the hobby back then? Or maybe they were re-holdered as altered?
Well, I have been addicted for the last 17 yrs, and on the internet and scouring almost that whole time, and haven't seen any, that's all I know. I probably got back in the hobby (after my kid days) right after his find. I watch for those Square Colgan's closely. Show me 3 above a 5? I can show you a ton of the round ones that are very high grade though. Maybe I am wrong but I would like to see it and will gladly say "yeap, I was wrong"....won't be the first or last time.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:26 AM
J@son M1ller

Here's one

I remember reading an old post where Jon Canfield talked about buying a bunch of Colgan Squares from an old Hager auction back in the 90's

Maybe he can help.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:35 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird View Post
Here's one
Thanks. I said 3. You failed.

BTW, I could easily show 40 of the round ones that are above a 5. I sort of thought this is what Peter was thinking....but I guess not.

Last edited by Leon; 07-07-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:44 AM
pete ullman

Guys...I remember when Hager put out his book...and burst onto the card scene...he kinda introduced these square colgans to the hobby...as "proofs"...and I remember a fair # of high grade ones were accugrade entombed.

I don't follow or care much about any colgans issue...just never cared for them. I would presume there are a lot more high grade roundies because there are a much larger # of roundies compared to squares.

I'm just trying to make a point that when a lot of high grade cards of a given issue seem surface....canting the overall population of an issue to a dramatically higher grade...they become less desirable?!

I don't think this will be the case so much w/e98 as the demand is so high?!

I just think in the future these high grade e98's will be popping up on a regular basis...and will become common...and pedestrian...and less desirable!
Old 07-07-2012, 08:48 AM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

I am with Leon on this one...not only are the square Colgans hard to find in high condition but many are off center or have back damage. I own four different ones and all four have damage from being glued into an album at one point. Only seen a handful of higher end ones.

As to the OP's assertion of when top end is no good...in my opinion...always! I only collect low end.

Joshua
Old 07-07-2012, 08:52 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Guys...I remember when Hager put out his book...and burst onto the card scene...he kinda introduced these square colgans to the hobby...as "proofs"...and I remember a fair # of high grade ones were accugrade entombed.

I don't follow or care much about any colgans issue...just never cared for them. I would presume there are a lot more high grade roundies because there are a much larger # of roundies compared to squares.

I'm just trying to make a point that when a lot of high grade cards of a given issue seem surface....canting the overall population of an issue to a dramatically higher grade...they become less desirable?!

I don't think this will be the case so much w/e98 as the demand is so high?!

I just think in the future these high grade e98's will be popping up on a regular basis...and will become common...and pedestrian...and less desirable!

I wonder if the Accugrade ones got busted out and were put into lower grade holders from other companies? But that wasn't the main point of your thread.

As I stated in another thread, this grouping seems sort of like the E92 Nadja St.Louis player cards but on a larger scale. Those E92s are always being sold and they command much less than most other caramel cards in the same grade. We have all seen them...and many of us own one or some.

Last edited by Leon; 07-07-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:09 AM
pete ullman

It is definitely kind of similar to the E 92 situation... but very different in that there are so many different cards in such high numbers.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:40 AM
J@son M1ller

Certainly something to be said for rarity or perceived rarity. I think we all cherish those things in our collection that there are just one of or a few of. The fact that a bunch of high grade E98s are out there can't help prices. But, they are great cards and the demand should be pretty high for them. I expect they will get sucked up pretty darn quick.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:16 AM

The E105 find wasn't even close to the scope of the E98 blow out find. While maybe 10-15% of the E105 set is fairly available, the vast majority of the set is simply not available with POPs under 5 examples per card. The total 50 card set POP is ~375, take out the most common 8 and you are down near 200 total examples for the remaining 42 cards.

Barely 10% of the entire E105 POP report between SGC and PSA is higher than a EX-5. Virtually all of these are limited to Knight and Bescher.

There are finds... and then there are Black Swamp finds.