NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-27-2020, 01:40 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Default Repurposing SGC inserts

Has anyone used them in Top Loaders?

If anyone has a pile, I'm very interested. No problem if you want to clip the top corner to ensure no future shenanigans.

Probably should have used a new toploader. That thing is filthy.
Old 05-27-2020, 02:16 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewing View Post
Has anyone used them in Top Loaders?

If anyone has a pile, I'm very interested. No problem if you want to clip the top corner to ensure no future shenanigans.

Probably should have used a new toploader. That thing is filthy.
That is awesome, I have made similar for my T210s.

I bugged Rick Hyatt, who makes cool storage items to start making the size DIY Kits that my T206 Ty Cobb is in. I still had the PSA flip for the Cobb, otherwise you can use Avery address labels and print your own flip for your card(s). I know Rick was designing a template so you can put the Avery labels on in exactly the same place every time.

The black insert is actually 2 layers thick so if you don't want his company logo showing you can turn it so it can't be seen. Not sure if they are available on his web site yet or not. This is a prototype/sample I got in the mail a few days ago.

He makes the DIY Kits for most sized cards. Because of the delays lately he finally got the T206 sized ones done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cobbF.jpg (69.8 KB, 678 views)
File Type: jpg cobbB.jpg (68.7 KB, 679 views)
Old 05-27-2020, 05:11 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
That is awesome, I have made similar for my T210s.

I bugged Rick Hyatt, who makes cool storage items to start making the size DIY Kits that my T206 Ty Cobb is in. I still had the PSA flip for the Cobb, otherwise you can use Avery address labels and print your own flip for your card(s). I know Rick was designing a template so you can put the Avery labels on in exactly the same place every time.

The black insert is actually 2 layers thick so if you don't want his company logo showing you can turn it so it can't be seen. Not sure if they are available on his web site yet or not. This is a prototype/sample I got in the mail a few days ago.

He makes the DIY Kits for most sized cards. Because of the delays lately he finally got the T206 sized ones done.
His kits and your card was what gave me the idea. I did contact him, but I don't want to use 4x6 top loaders for a tobacco card. I'm trying to reduce my collection footprint.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:18 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewing View Post
His kits and your card was what gave me the idea. I did contact him, but I don't want to use 4x6 top loaders for a tobacco card. I'm trying to reduce my collection footprint.
I agree 100% on the size. The holder in this thread is a big improvement over the even bigger size Rick was using.

I really like the sleeve aspect. I also sent him this T210 as an example. Unfortunately he didn't go for that size. I think it would sell great to all the tobacco card collectors.

Now that he has the T206 size inserts I have been thinking about asking if I could just buy the sleeves and black inserts for T sized cards. Then cut down the inserts to look like this T210.

Not sure the Avery label # but my crude hand written label is the same size as one they make.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T210.jpg (48.6 KB, 573 views)
Old 05-27-2020, 09:40 PM
Chris / prewarprints.com

If there is enough interest, and consensus on style/size, I can price out manufacturing them in quantity. I'd assume standard size top loader is preferred, but is the a) SGC style or b) style allowing for a sleeve more desirable?
Old 05-27-2020, 10:03 PM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantycouch View Post
If there is enough interest, and consensus on style/size, I can price out manufacturing them in quantity. I'd assume standard size top loader is preferred, but is the a) SGC style or b) style allowing for a sleeve more desirable?
I would be interested. My biggest collecting wish is that Ultra Pro made One Touches for 1952-1956 Topps and manufactured inserts for Play Ball, Goudeys, and 48-51 Bowman and I'm sure I'm not the only one. An insert for smaller issues that fit One Touch cases would probably be quite popular.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:21 AM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Quote:
Definitely prefer the standard size 3x4 top loader.

I may be alone here, but I always found sleeves a hindrance. It wouldn't matter for my T cards because they have soft dull corners, but I've damaged more Topps cards than I can remember trying to slide them into a penny sleeve. It's why any card I plan to keep goes in a semi rigid holder versus a rigid top loader.

The SGC insert I cut holds the card nicely and their excellent design of corners being cut out keeps the corners safe.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:27 AM
Chris / prewarprints.com

I'm with you on that, Brent. I prefer the SGC-style sleeveless type, but most of my T's are pretty soft, too.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:37 AM
St3phen M@rchillo

Default Ultra Pro

Do these not work for what you are trying to accomplish?

https://www.teamfandom.com/products/...CABEgJkjvD_BwE
Old 05-28-2020, 07:40 AM
St3phen M@rchillo

I guess they don't make them anymore so you'd have to find them on the secondary market. Seems like you need thicker top loaders too - which isn't so bad.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:42 AM
Ben North

Quote:
I'm with you on that, Brent. I prefer the SGC-style sleeveless type, but most of my T's are pretty soft, too.
I would be in for 100 of the SGC style inserts for 3X4 toploaders if the price is not too high. Maybe we can get enough interest to make it a worth while project.

My T cards are far from mint also.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:56 AM
Chris / prewarprints.com

@stephen that's the concept! Those just seem overly expensive if you're trying to hold your entire collection, and my preference is to use standard top loaders.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:59 AM
Chris / prewarprints.com

@ben I'm hoping we can, too. I went through this exercise years ago and couldn't get them below ~$.30 per holder even at a quantity of about 10k. But I've got some better folks to work with now.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:10 AM
Ben North

Quote:
@ben I'm hoping we can, too. I went through this exercise years ago and couldn't get them below ~$.30 per holder even at a quantity of about 10k. But I've got some better folks to work with now.
I would be happy at $.30 each, even my cheap T cards are worth enough to justify that price point.

Last edited by bnorth; 05-28-2020 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:12 AM
T0dd M@rcum

A few years ago I had a bunch of these printed for my set. They are on card stock. If anyone is interested, contact me. I think I still have a few hundred left over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4731.jpg (65.0 KB, 457 views)
Old 05-28-2020, 08:18 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
A few years ago I had a bunch of these printed for my set. They are on card stock. If anyone is interested, contact me. I think I still have a few hundred left over.
You must have been my secret Santa a few years ago. I still have one of those.
Old 05-28-2020, 08:24 AM
Chris / prewarprints.com

Those look great, Todd!
Old 05-28-2020, 10:44 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfinley View Post
I would be interested. My biggest collecting wish is that Ultra Pro made One Touches for 1952-1956 Topps and manufactured inserts for Play Ball, Goudeys, and 48-51 Bowman and I'm sure I'm not the only one. An insert for smaller issues that fit One Touch cases would probably be quite popular.
I am with you Steve...

Gotta believe there's a good market for collectors wanting customized cutouts from Ultra Pro for the following sets...

33 - 35 Goudey
1948 - 52 Bowman
1952 - 56 Topps

The black Tobacco Card Inserts you sent me work great, and really highlight the cards beautifully. Just wish they'd expand these to include some of the more popular vintage sets!
Old 05-28-2020, 10:55 AM
Chris / prewarprints.com

I'd love to see them for Goudeys as well. More to come on this!
Old 05-28-2020, 12:50 PM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

Everyone has some great ideas. Depending on what your trying to do with your cards will then decide the best option. Someone mentioned wanting a smaller footprint. I understand that completely but it's not an option for me because 80 percent of my T206's are graded and I'm not a "binder" collector even though they look great. My problem is I really don't want to spend $6000 to grade my raw T206's. And if I did, I'd want to cross over all my SGC's to PSA and then I'm looking at $10k+. So $6000 to $16,000 for basically eye appeal, since I'm holding onto them for personal enjoyment, seems like a lot of money. So the pictures Brent and Ben showed are great but I'd want something kinda in the middle. The same size as a PSA but with the glossy black background. I've actually had a few T206 ebay purchases of raw cards come in a top loader with a SGC insert. It had me thinking when I saw it. I might fool around with my laser cutter when my health is back on track, and maybe come up with a few holder ideas.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 05-29-2020, 08:08 AM
Ju$tin D@v3n.por+

I know they are clear, but if toploader storage is the concern, BCW already makes sleeves to prevent float in standard toploaders or binders. These have been out for several years.

https://www.bcwsupplies.com/tobacco-card-insert-sleeve

This is a youtube review (not mine)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f8yDKyhJR0

Player collecting - Lance Parrish, Jim Davenport, John Norlander.

Successful B/S/T with - Highstep74, Northviewcats, pencil1974, T2069bk, tjenkins, wilkiebaby11, baez578, Bocabirdman, maddux31, Leon, Just-Collect, bigfish, quinnsryche...and a whole bunch more, I stopped keeping track, lol.

Last edited by JustinD; 05-29-2020 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-29-2020, 09:43 AM
Joe Jones

Here is what the clear inserts look like in 9 pocket pages. I would be interested in something like this with a black border for standard top loaders or pages.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:43 PM
Chris / prewarprints.com

I got some samples in. I need to modify the measurements a touch but, as shown, they will fit in penny sleeve and standard top loader.

Would love to hear thoughts on preference between white, clear and black.

Old 06-03-2020, 01:54 PM
Ben North

Quote:
I got some samples in. I need to modify the measurements a touch but, as shown, they will fit in penny sleeve and standard top loader.

Would love to hear thoughts on preference between white, clear and black.

Black by a mile. Just me but I would not want them to fit in a penny sleeve. Would rather they fit the 3X4 toploader. What is the thickness of them?

Last edited by bnorth; 06-03-2020 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:08 PM
Chris / prewarprints.com

Hey Ben, they're about .4mm. We could definitely make them fit the full size of a top loader. I assumed (incorrectly!) that people would like the added protection of a penny sleeve.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:18 PM
Ben North

Again just me. I want a little protection in a very cool looking holder. If I wanted top protection I would go with the ones I posted with the mylar sleeve. I could be way off on what the average collector is looking for though.

What you made but the size of a toploader would be exactly what I want for my lower condition T cards. After doing the conversion that is a great thickness for the insert.

Last edited by bnorth; 06-03-2020 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:25 PM
Chris / prewarprints.com

Good feedback, Ben. One more question: any preference between plastic (inert, safe for long term storage) or archival paper stock of the same thickness?
Old 06-03-2020, 02:27 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Good feedback, Ben. One more question: any preference between plastic (inert, safe for long term storage) or archival paper stock of the same thickness?
I would prefer paper stock.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:18 AM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Quote:
Black by a mile. Just me but I would not want them to fit in a penny sleeve. Would rather they fit the 3X4 toploader.
+1
Old 06-04-2020, 10:43 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
I'd take some. Those are fantastic! I like ungraded cards, and those really show off the card extremely well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 06-06-2020, 12:27 PM
Ben North

I had to free a T210 from a SGC prison today so I cut it into exactly what I would like.

My ugly hand printed label is 1/2" X 1 3/4". Avery makes several labels this size so you could make a nice one on your computer and print them out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sgcinsert.jpg (57.6 KB, 179 views)
Old 06-10-2020, 10:00 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Showed up in the mail today. Couldn't wait to get my cards in them. I really like them. It gives them that topps 206 buyback look. Thanks!

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 06-10-2020 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-11-2020, 01:14 PM

[QUOTE=todeen;1989090]Showed up in the mail today. Couldn't wait to get my cards in them. I really like them. It gives them that topps 206 buyback look. Thanks!

Those look great! How thick is the toploader you used? and the t205 almost matches perfect.

Last edited by Jamie_h; 06-11-2020 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-11-2020, 01:49 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie_h View Post
Those look great! How thick is the toploader you used? and the t205 almost matches perfect.
I just used standard top loaders. I first put them in a penny sheet to make them extra snug.

Old 06-15-2020, 12:20 PM
Ben North

Chris sent me one of his inserts. The insert on the left is one I cut down from a SGC insert. The one on the right is the one Chris sent me.

The quality of the cuts on the insert Chris sent me is better than the SGC insert. Who hasn't had one of SGCs horribly cut inserts not screw up a high end card? The thickness of the insert is perfect to me as is the material he used to make the inset.

The only thing I am not a fan of is there is no room on the top to put a custom label. It seems others like the centered version better. Hopefully Chris can make both to keep all of us who want a little protection and a cool looking holder happy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg insertF.jpg (64.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg insertB.jpg (64.2 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by bnorth; 06-15-2020 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 12:29 PM
Chris / prewarprints.com

Quote:
The only thing I am not a fan of is there is no room on the top to put a custom label. It seems others like the centered version better. Hopefully Chris can make both to keep all of us who want a little protection and a cool looking holder happy.
Thanks for the feedback, Ben! Good news is I can definitely get some made with room at the top for you. Your comments about the stock itself are most helpful; I wanted to be sure I wasn't the only one who liked the thickness.

Note that the stock is neutral pH and acid free and should be safe for many years of storage.