NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-07-2010, 04:30 PM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

Default Vintage Yankee Stadium Chair

I don't know much about Yankee chairs but think this would look great in my basement.

can someone please verify that this is an authentic Yankee chair? or is it possible it could be from another stadium.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123
thanks,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...:X:RTQ:US:1123
Old 11-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Al

Default Yankee Seat

Yes it looks to be a nice restored Yankee Stadium Wall mount seat. I did a set that I restored and they came out very nice. They were a set of floor mount box seats. That is a nice seat and the start price is in line from what I have seen. Good luck!

Last edited by batsballsbases; 04-12-2016 at 09:17 AM.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:26 AM

Those curve back seats were used in the box seats area and were installed in the late 1940's. Good luck.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:32 AM
Mi_ch.ael Bo,rk_in

thanks Guys,

I apprecaite your help!
Old 11-08-2010, 08:20 AM
Jim VB

What Frank said is correct. In the original Stadium (1923), most of the seats were straight backed. The box seat area actually had folding chairs for years.

In the mid-1940's (I think 1943, but I am not positive) they replaced the folding chairs with the curved back seats.

During the 1970's remodel, they sold off the wodden seats, both curved and straight, for $7.50 and 5 empty Winston cigarrette packs (crush proof boxes, only!)

Here is one site that specializes in Stadium seats:

http://yankeestadiumseats.com/

This is also a copy of the Winstons for a seat ad, and a pic of my seat, which my sister bought me for my 19th birthday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg winstonyankeead9-3-2005.jpg (26.0 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg JVB Stadium seat.jpg (75.6 KB, 262 views)

Last edited by Jim VB; 11-09-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:14 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Default Winston ad

How much did they charge for the shipping? $7.50 seems cheap even then, but shipping must have been a lot?
Old 11-08-2010, 02:28 PM
Jim VB

Shipping? There was no shipping. They partnered with Korvette's (a local department store.) You had to pick them up. My sister brought hers home on the subway.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Bilko Glasier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
Shipping? There was no shipping. They partnered with Korvette's (a local department store.) You had to pick them up. My sister brought hers home on the subway.

that is so cool, what a great collectible.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:04 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Default Investment

Did you ever tell her what her $7.50 investment is worth now? LOL
Old 11-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Kevin O'Gara

Default yankee seat

here is my 23 seat with most of the orig. green paint, and my bleacher section that was buried in my neighbors woods.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010001.jpg (63.5 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg P1010002.jpg (39.1 KB, 145 views)
Old 11-09-2010, 04:51 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgwirecom View Post
Did you ever tell her what her $7.50 investment is worth now? LOL

GIFT! NOT INVESTMENT!!!

It's bad enough that my wife knows what it's worth. She thinks we should sell it every time we move.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:48 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Default Gift

LOL I know but it's always fun to let people know how much something appreciated over the years. Just like to see their reactions.

Here is my Cleveland double I got signed by Bob Feller.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seat 002.jpg (64.6 KB, 149 views)
Old 11-10-2010, 10:38 AM

One note on these seats...

I had an original pair of seats from the stadium in my basement - some chipping displayed numerous layers of blue - the old aquamarine and the later royal tone.

We had a lead test done in our house after my son was born - turns out he measured high for lead. When they scanned the seats, it buried the needle. I sold them for a loss, but feel better for it.

While some may cringe at the thought of refurbishing an original Yankee Stadium seat, I support it, provided it's done well. Otherwise, be careful with that paint!
Old 11-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksons View Post
One note on these seats...

I had an original pair of seats from the stadium in my basement - some chipping displayed numerous layers of blue - the old aquamarine and the later royal tone.

We had a lead test done in our house after my son was born - turns out he measured high for lead. When they scanned the seats, it buried the needle. I sold them for a loss, but feel better for it.

While some may cringe at the thought of refurbishing an original Yankee Stadium seat, I support it, provided it's done well. Otherwise, be careful with that paint!

Excellent point, if you have little kids! Lead paint wasn't banned in the USA until 1977, so any original seats and even some refurbished, will contain higher amounts than acceptable. Mine was repainted before I got it in 1974, so there is probably lead paint on mine also.

In fairness, most experts worry about lead paint only when it is ingested, so if your chair is chipping or peeling on any "mouthable" surfaces, have it fixed up.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:29 PM
William Peebles

I'm not positive on this, but I think you could clear coat it. That would maintain the original look, and more importantly, keep any flaking paint in place and out of the mouths of the little ones.

http://www.huntingtonbaseballco.com
Old 11-10-2010, 03:54 PM
David McDonald

Warms this ancient fan's heart to see those old seats. I must have sat in them at least a hundred times a half-century ago. And at last I finally understand what's caused the insomnia, delirium, cognitive deficits, tremors, hallucinations, and convulsions I have suffered all these years.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:23 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
Warms this ancient fan's heart to see those old seats. I must have sat in them at least a hundred times a half-century ago. And at last I finally understand what's caused the insomnia, delirium, cognitive deficits, tremors, hallucinations, and convulsions I have suffered all these years.

Right. Lead paint. No possibility that you're just bat shit crazy.

Edited to add: I used to have that jacket!

Last edited by Jim VB; 11-10-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:47 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
Right. Lead paint. No possibility that you're just bat shit crazy.
In life and in war, when one is attacked one has the right, in fact, the obligation to respond. We hate to take up time and space on the board responding to your cynical comments- however, if you want to shoot arrows, we will be happy to return the favor with nuclear missiles. You must be chewing on some weird tobacco down there in Honky Town. We often step on roaches walking the streets of upper Manhattan near Yankee Stadium. They are certainly a higher form of life than you. Perhaps, you could make better use of your time--like flipping burgers or tacos- minimum wage sounds appropriate for your skills and intelligence. Tell us, is English your first language or is it Pig Latin? We wonder if your obsession with masturbation emanates from the fact that you can't satisfy your wife or that she is sick and tired of you. Whilst we are unaware of your social activities, might we suggest a visit to Chicago- attend the Jerry Springer show. It appears that the women participants, albeit a bit smarter than you- would be your perfect match. Do you prefer little girls or little boys? Personally, we'd like to see you cross the border from Mexico into Arizona and see what our hero, Sheriff Joe Arpaio and his team, do to solve the Jim VB problem. In fact, it would be best if we you threw you in the barn with a bunch of smelly old cows horses, and pigs and they could BS all over you. We're sure it is about time to go feed the pigs and the other members of your family. Keep up good work, Mr. BS. Whilst, you, your fellow low-life red necks and other "sorted" followers would not know or appreciate an ultra rare high grade card if you fell on it, we take comfort in knowing that you are probably consuming high grade spam. Perhaps they will issue a special exhibit card when you do the world a favor and end it all. Looking forward to reading about your demise. We read the obituaries. We laugh out loud, when an evil card collecting bastard name appears. Please make us laugh soon.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:27 PM
Banned

He should have sued Archive when he had the chance.
Old 11-11-2010, 03:54 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
In life and in war, when one is attacked one has the right, in fact, the obligation to respond. We hate to take up time and space on the board responding to your cynical comments- however, if you want to shoot arrows, we will be happy to return the favor with nuclear missiles. You must be chewing on some weird tobacco down there in Honky Town. We often step on roaches walking the streets of upper Manhattan near Yankee Stadium. They are certainly a higher form of life than you. Perhaps, you could make better use of your time--like flipping burgers or tacos- minimum wage sounds appropriate for your skills and intelligence. Tell us, is English your first language or is it Pig Latin? We wonder if your obsession with masturbation emanates from the fact that you can't satisfy your wife or that she is sick and tired of you. Whilst we are unaware of your social activities, might we suggest a visit to Chicago- attend the Jerry Springer show. It appears that the women participants, albeit a bit smarter than you- would be your perfect match. Do you prefer little girls or little boys? Personally, we'd like to see you cross the border from Mexico into Arizona and see what our hero, Sheriff Joe Arpaio and his team, do to solve the Jim VB problem. In fact, it would be best if we you threw you in the barn with a bunch of smelly old cows horses, and pigs and they could BS all over you. We're sure it is about time to go feed the pigs and the other members of your family. Keep up good work, Mr. BS. Whilst, you, your fellow low-life red necks and other "sorted" followers would not know or appreciate an ultra rare high grade card if you fell on it, we take comfort in knowing that you are probably consuming high grade spam. Perhaps they will issue a special exhibit card when you do the world a favor and end it all. Looking forward to reading about your demise. We read the obituaries. We laugh out loud, when an evil card collecting bastard name appears. Please make us laugh soon.

Missing him already, aren't you?