NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Am I unethical if I? SEE THREAD FOR COMPLETE QUESTION
Bend corners back 29 19.46%
Rub off wax with panty hose 17 11.41%
Erase pencil marks 51 34.23%
Soak cards to remove glue, dirt or stains 42 28.19%
Use acetone to remove ink or grime 96 64.43%
Use other chemicals to clean and/or brighten card 110 73.83%
Fix creases and/or pinholes with Kurt's magic spray 118 79.19%
Use a black marker on the corners of my 1971 Topps 138 92.62%
Trim off the fuzzy edges of the card 122 81.88%
BONUS: Am I unethical if I submit my work to PSA and they grade it 77 51.68%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 149. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2024, 05:36 AM
Jeff Carlson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
This is of course, nonsense. They are nearly one and the same discipline. Every graduate-level data science program in the country requires numerous statistics courses. And many statistics programs offer two tracks - biostatistics or data science. The only difference is that a data scientist is a statistician with coding skills.
Nearly is doing a lot of work right there. Constructing a polling question is not the same as writing an SQL script and the resulting data set differs in size from a large database by several orders of magnitude. As has been pointed out upthread, your arguments here rest on repetition of your job title and not by laying out cogent and accessible arguments.

You might want to consider that, when faced with a group that universally disagrees with you, there are explanations other than that they obviously are unable to appreciate your brilliance.

But, this is getting pretty far afield from the intent of the thread and I have to pack for an early flight to attend a business conference. So, I will concede to you the point the one thing you seem to covet: the last word.

Last edited by carlsonjok; 03-24-2024 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Grammar bad
Old 03-24-2024, 03:12 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonjok View Post
Nearly is doing a lot of work right there. Constructing a polling question is not the same as writing an SQL script and the resulting data set differs in size from a large database by several orders of magnitude. As has been pointed out upthread, your arguments here rest on repetition of your job title and not by laying out cogent and accessible arguments.

You might want to consider that, when faced with a group that universally disagrees with you, there are explanations other than that they obviously are unable to appreciate your brilliance.

But, this is getting pretty far afield from the intent of the thread and I have to pack for an early flight to attend a business conference. So, I will concede to you the point the one thing you seem to covet: the last word.
Well, what can I say? You sure got me there. I was just kidding all along. I'm talking out my ass. I fold. Nice hand, sir.
Old 03-24-2024, 03:19 PM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

You guys are hilarious. Keep up the great work!
Old 03-24-2024, 03:40 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Default I guess I don't get it

I mean, Snowman seems like a nice enough guy. Probably a little too defensive of card doctors. Probably a little too defensive of PWCC. But aside from quibbling about those details, I'm not sure why the need to get after him in this fashion.

I will admit...

He's often excessively confident.

He doesn't hesitate to share his opinion.

He often speaks in what seems like hyperbole.

He sometimes doesn't fully explain his ideas, or what he means.

He holds himself out as an expert in all things.

He's a snob about centering.

But at the same time, that probably sounds like a lot of us. Certainly it sounds a lot like me, aside from the centering thing - that's never been all that important to me.

His assertion about gamblers was just that. And a lot of us disagree with him, and have shared why his assertion sure seems faulty. I suspect that he's probably right that many degenerate gamblers are easy to spot, even from a distance. But as many of you have rightly pointed out, not everyone fits the criteria, plus unless we're hanging out with them personally, we don't have much of a nexus for attempting to really conclude.

Personally, as a Giants fan full of schadenfreude for the hated ones, I would like nothing more than to see Ohtani suspended for life (with pay, of course).

But now that you've made those points, I'm not sure why there's a need to linger any longer over the dead horse, just to kick it a bit more.

It's just a matter of time before someone posts a video like this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.JPG (48.9 KB, 69 views)

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 03-24-2024, 04:05 PM
Chase

I disagree with almost 100% of what snowman posts but he is far from an enemy of the hobby even with his stance on doctoring or cozy feelings towards Brent/PWCC. I am not 100% sure he has been 100% transparent with the extent of either of those positions but that aside, my rub is that he always posts an an authority on absolutely every topic and with extreme arrogance.

Fact is that he is not an authority on almost every topic he posts on and the things he posts are very absurd and filled with flawed logic. What he is, is a person just like the rest of us, who has an opinion. And even if you have a strong opinion, make sure you that it is conveyed as just that and if you are unwilling, as he is, to admit you are wrong, then it leaves most people being annoyed.

And despite what it may appear, I like having him here. Not because I goof on him but I like that he brings a different perspective or point of view to the discussion. Just as I have not taken his GFY personally I hope I have not conveyed disdain or disrespect to him in my posts to him and about him. I figured him for a guy who has to have VERY thick skin but again I do not have the same super powers that he has based on how he carries himself so I could be wrong. But ya almost have to have thick skin if you are gonna go out on a limb as far and as often as he does.
Old 03-25-2024, 04:09 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by raulus View Post

Snowman seems like a nice enough guy. TRUE

Probably a little too defensive of card doctors. TRUE

Probably a little too defensive of PWCC. FALSE

He's often excessively confident. TRUE

He doesn't hesitate to share his opinion. TRUE

He often speaks in what seems like hyperbole. TRUE

He sometimes doesn't fully explain his ideas, or what he means. TRUE

He holds himself out as an expert in all things. FALSE

He's a snob about centering. TRUE

His assertion about gamblers was just that. TRUE

I suspect that he's probably right that many degenerate gamblers are easy to spot, even from a distance. FALSE
I'll cosign on most of that.

A point of clarity on the last one. It is much easier to rule out a disorder than it is to diagnose one. I don't think you can just look at some random person and tell if they're a degenerate gambler. But I think you can observe someone and rule out that possibility with near certainty based on how they conduct themselves. It is a mental disorder. It's even listed in the DSM-V. The traits of someone with this disease are difficult to hide. It consumes them.

Last edited by Snowman; 03-25-2024 at 04:22 AM.