NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-05-2008, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Default Phil A's auto PCs--When issued??

Posted By: Fred Y

I just recvd 4 PCs I won at auction. Here's hoping someone can help identify the possible year of issue or how they were issued.

The 4 players all played for the Phil A's, but in various time periods. All PCs have the same identical reverse.

Flohr--1934 only, Hauser--1922 thru '28, Hasson--1937-38 and Chapman 1938 thru 1951.

Because of the great range of yrs it doesn't seem likely it was a Team issue, but who knows?

SIDE NOTE: Mort Flohr was a cousin of mine. He was a fine college pitcher and was signed straight off the campus of Duke University in 1934 by Connie Mack and went directly to the A's team. He appeared in 14 games in'34 and hurt his arm--He never appeared in a ML game again.

To my knowledge he was never pictured on a baseball card of any kind, so when I saw this picture PC of him it was the first time I have ever seen him on a card. The auto I knew was authentic comparing it to 2 index card autos I got from Mort in the middle '80s. He died in 1994.

Here are the front & back of Flohr and the other 3 fronts, along w/ Mort's autos I own.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Old 03-05-2008, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

Can't give you an exact date, but the are not older than 1950.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard S. Simon

They are not team issued, looks like they are George Brace postcards.
Brace was a well known photographer.
--

I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
Unknown author
--
We made a promise. We swore we'd always remember.
No retreat baby, no surrender.
The Boss

Old 03-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

They are Jim Rowe postcards...he bought negatives from George Brace and made postcards with them. He did this for many years I think starting in the 1950s through the 1970s.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jeffdrum

You could order these from his daughter as recently as 5 years ago. I ordered hundreds over the years and mailed them to players to sign.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:15 PM
Administrator

Thanks to all of you for the info!

So--Would I be correct to assume that these 4 players probably didn't ALL have these identical cards, but likely some collector of autos had them & sent them TO the players for their signature?

Side note to Jodi:

Just curious--Have you ever handled a Mort Flohr autograph?--or a Gene Hasson?

Old 03-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

They could have come directly from Jim Rowe's collection. aside from making these cards he also collected autographs on them.....the collection I believe was sold by Lelands.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

As far as I know, both Flohr and Hauser used to send these postcards out to fans who wrote requesting an autograph. Hauser was a good friend of mine, and he stored literally hundreds of copes of this photo, all signed in advance, for fans' requests until his death in 1997 at age 98. Sam Chapman, to my knowledge, never sent "extras" to fans. He would simply sign whatever a person sent and return it in the SASE.

Edited to add: Sorry, didn't initially see your side note. Your cousin was a very obliging signer, and, as far as I know, never turned down an autograph request. Hasson, on the other hand, became tougher as he got older. Unfortunately, neither carry any significant value. Chapman and Hauser were also tremendously wonderful signers, and all but your cousin lived into their 90's.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:26 AM
Administrator

for all responses!

I appreciate your comments, Jodi--You have incredible background knowledge!

I also posted on the EBay Board and as a result may end up being able to make contact w/ Mort's daughter-in-law through all this! I don't believe we even know each other existed!