NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-30-2006, 01:20 PM
Administrator

Default Safety Deposit Box Plunge

Posted By: T206Collector

Well, I took the deep plunge into a nice safety deposit box at my bank this morning. It fits no more than 26 SGC graded cards. So, at the bank with my 50 or so best SGC cards, I sat in a little private room -- like Jason Bourne -- going through them trying to determine the 26 best, i.e., the ones that would be hardest to replace even if I got the insurance proceeds from a fire, theft, etc. It was an interesting exercise, being forced to choose the best 26 cards. I suppose it was easier than having to choose the top 5 or 10. But still, there were a couple of good cards cut at numbers 27, 28 and 29 and up into the 30's. Alas, this will just have to do because I did not want to spend more than $100 annually on the box.

I suppose at some point I'll want to drop some anti-moisture crystals in there. Perhaps a few precious documents and other heirlooms that can still fit between the cards. All in all, an interesting experience and I feel much better knowing that I'm no longer sitting on $15,000-$20,000 of hard to replace baseball cards.

Old 07-30-2006, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

a wise move IMO.

you'll be asking for the biggest box they have in no time..I have one that fits about 400 slabs and i am thinking of renting another...

...and don't forget that you can deduct the annual rental fee on your 1040

Old 07-30-2006, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I am sure that you investigated things like fireproof locking gun cabinets (Im not sure that truly fireproof ones exist). I was thinking that I may be able to mitigate my wife's cabinet ugliness complaint by putting it in a closet.

Why did you choose against this option?

Old 07-30-2006, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rick

Put some moisture absorbent material in the box as soon as possible, even if it means that you will have to remove a couple of cards from the bank. A friend of mine has a beautiful 1920's folding pocket knife with pictures of some Philadephia players. A few years ago he sent photos of this knife to some major auction houses, and they told him that it would sell in the $2000-$2500 range. He decided not to sell it, and instead he stored this nearly perfect knife in a safety deposit box in the local bank. Last year my friend had some medical problems and needed cash, so he decided to sell the knife. When he removed it from the safety deposit box, it was rusty, and the script and the pictures of the players were almost gone. Now he is receiving estimates in the $150-$200 range.

I know that a metal knife will have different moisture problems than cards, but I wouldn't take a chance on your cards without some preventive measures.

Good Luck!

Rick

Old 07-30-2006, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Back here in the hills of Kentucky, the bank saftey deposit boxes are big enough to hold thousands of unslabbed cards.

Old 07-30-2006, 09:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew

I used to manage a bank branch one street over from Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. I needed a full time employee to man the entrance for all the people (some celebs) who visited their boxes daily. Some boxes were literally the size of an adult. The safe deposit room was so large that there were aisles in which one could get lost. The previous manager indicated that a customer left a fish in a box out of spite over some bank error, and it took about three months to find the foul smell.

I too have a box, but sometimes it's cumbersome to go back and forth. However, the piece of mind is more than worth it. CollectInsure is a great supplement to a box.

“A smooth sea never made a skilled mariner.” - English Proverb

Old 07-30-2006, 11:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

If you have several boxes in a safe, do you put the dessicants in each box, or just in the safe?

Old 08-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Anyone ever worry about storing cards in too dry an atmosphere, i.e., that silica gel pack drying agents might dry the air too much and cause the cards to become too brittle?

Old 08-08-2006, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Just think how many raw cards it would fit.

Old 08-08-2006, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

You know, all these vintage baseball cards have survived a century without anyone paying any attention to them. Now that they are valuable, collectors are afraid that even protected by slabs and sitting in safe deposit boxes they will begin to deteriorate. Who was checking the moisture level on the cards that remained in an attic for ninety years when nobody even knew they were there? I think baseball cards are a lot more resilient than you think.

Old 08-08-2006, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Keith O'Leary

Fire and theft are really the only 2 that have ever worried me. I have 2 of the biggest my bank carries.

Old 08-08-2006, 02:49 PM
Administrator

...but I still worry about my precious little delicate cardboard dreams.

Old 08-08-2006, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bill

How bout a fire proof safe
fastened to the floor in a closet
I think that would be pretty safe
I have the best ones in there
with a couple of those packets

Old 08-27-2006, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

OK - I took the plunge too. I'm a bit of a control freak, so having them locked away 24/7 and unaccessible for periods of time is not sitting too well. Although I definitely feel better. Mine aren't worth a whole lot compared to other collections - I only put maybe $7K in there. But I was getting increasingly unnerved by having them around the house. I often leave my house unlocked, routinely carried my cards around in a plastic grocery store bag, etc. It just got uncomfortable, and so far it's been more of a relief than an inconvenience.

But I really don't like not having them here. It makes me wonder if I have gone to a place in collecting I don't want to go - I can't have them around and have to lock them away.

I definitely did look at them fairly often. I only have 75 cards or so - so they still all fit on the kitchen counter. I could put all of them out at once and see the whole thing. Arrange them by sets, or like colors, or chronologically, etc. lol. So I really don't like having lost that ability.

But I only put about half my cards in the sd box (representing 90% of the value).

And Paul - wow - expensive in your area. I got a 3x10x24 or so for $49 a year. But no cool little private room. It was more like stand aside one way to open the door, move next to the xerox machine so they could get the box out, maneuver back around the door to get it closed - hell I thought I was literally going to use their employee break room to put my cards into it!

Dessicant next. But the peace of mind is well worth $49 a year, and I didn't even fractionally fill it.

Joann

Old 08-28-2006, 12:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

Barry S.

As you know, I was fortunate to recover my BB, FB, Boxing and Non-Sports cards
from my youth. My Mom and Aunt put them in a large open cardboard box when I
went into the Air Force. And, put this box up in our 3rd floor attic under the rafters.

These cards were subject to temperatures 100+ degrees and to the various climate
swings typical of Northeast weather in that attic from the late 1950's till 1977.
When I dug them up out of that box in 1977, I was surprised to find that my cards
were in no different condition than when I remember them as a kid. I collected just
about every card that was available from 1947 - 1952.

Barry.....you are correct, cards are very "resilient". Particularly, if stored in attics.
Storing cards in basements is a definite No-No.

Old 08-28-2006, 03:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

Joann,

I know it is not the same, but I have scanned most of my collection that resides in the safety deposit box.

Old 08-28-2006, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

Yeah, my cards need protection, mainly from me - because I constantly lower their grade - but also from other things, like fire. Clearly I can get all of the protection needed from a safe deposit vault, plus the added security in knowing that if a thief opened the safe deposit boxes, he probably would pass on picking up baseball cards.

But I don't want to be seperated from my cards. And scans are for enjoying your cards.

So are home safes a viable alternate? I think yes. The chief drawbacks are they cost $1000. for an internal storage area of about 20" x 20".

For that $1000. you get a safe that has been proven to withstand 1680 degrees F for two hours, then dropped 30' on to concrete, then withstood an additional 45 minutes of 1680 degrees. To simulate the worst house fire and collapse with no degradation in the contents nor conprimizing the integrety of the safe.

Sounds good enough to me.

As far as theft, I don't think that an actual safe cracker who listens for the tumblers to fall with a stethoscope (like they show in old movies) will be much interested in my baseball cards. I need protection from the smash and grab type of thief. And the typical combination lock that safe companies use will probably suffice in this situation. Plus for $1000. they are not getting in with a pry bar. An oxy-acetylene torch will cut through most anything eventually, but these safes are designed to dissipate heat quickly, so it will be somewhat more difficult. The cut around the safe and let it fall into the basement approach will not result in the safe opening.

So, aside from all of the damage these smash and grab types can do, this seems ok to me too.

So for me it comes down to @ $49/yr. Joann will get added security for 20 years at the same price that I will have measurably less security, but greater access to my cards. Plus at the end of those twenty years I will also still have the safe.

Old 08-28-2006, 07:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg

This may sound like a very ignorant question, and please don't take it the wrong way or as a personal attack (which is so easy to do over the internet), but if all you get to see of your collection is scans on a computer, why bother collecting the cards in the first place? Why not just collect scans of baseball cards? Isn't part of the enjoyment of collecting just looking at your stuff and sharing it with friends and family?

For those that do use safe deposit boxes, do you actually go down to the bank and pay them a visit every now and then? I just don't understand how you can enjoy your collection this way. It seems so cold. Then again, none of collecting makes any sense if you really think about it.

Greg

Old 08-28-2006, 09:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

That's the age old hobby question of how one can enjoy a collection if it's in a safe deposit box. Clearly, you can't enjoy it as much, but we've heard some horror stories on this board so I guess you are trading accessibilty for security. Hate to put a damper on those who feel no burglar can break into a home safe, but in 1988 I came back to my apartment in the afternoon and walked into a burglary in progress. At that time I had my whole collection in a safe in my closet. The two burglars were rank amateurs and never even saw the safe. But it crossed my mind that if they put a gun to my head and asked me to open it, I would have lost the collection anyway. The next morning I got a safe deposit box. Don't mean to scare anybody, but I went through this and just wish to share it. P.S.- those two clowns got caught later that day and were in the police station that night. They stole some old coins from me (not too valuable) and I actually got them all back. The chance of retrieving stolen property in a Brooklyn robbery is very small indeed.

Old 11-24-2021, 01:42 PM
Jos.eph Dw.ek

Is it safe to store valuable vintage signed baseballs in a bank safe deposit box? Would the moisture affect them? Thank you
Old 11-24-2021, 02:04 PM
J@mes In.gram

I have 5 baseballs, 5 programs, and now 36 loose cards plus my little album of valuable tobacco cards. I opened the account solely for this purpose. It is indeed a very wise move. I still have a lot at home, but the stuff I would freak out over if something happened is now safe.

Successful net54 purchases from/trades with:
Tere1071, Bocabirdman, 8thEastVB, GoldenAge50s, IronHorse2130, Kris19, G1911, dacubfan, sflayank, Smanzari, bocca001, eliminator, ejstel, lampertb, rjackson44, Jason19th, Cmvorce, CobbSpikedMe, Harliduck, donmuth, HercDriver, Huck, theshleps

Completed 1962 Topps
Completed 1969 Topps deckle edge
Completed 1953 Bowman color & b/w
*** Raw cards only, daddyo! ***
Old 11-24-2021, 02:57 PM
Jos.eph Dw.ek

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
I have 5 baseballs, 5 programs, and now 36 loose cards plus my little album of valuable tobacco cards. I opened the account solely for this purpose. It is indeed a very wise move. I still have a lot at home, but the stuff I would freak out over if something happened is now safe.
Thank you
Old 11-24-2021, 03:07 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jingram058 View Post
+1 agree.

But if you are concerned

1. Always consider insurance
2. Wrap or use some type of case that is waterproof to put it in before you put in the safe deposit Bozzone the only down side it might take more space

Jeff Kuhr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/144250058@N05/

Looking for
1920 Heading Home Ruth Cards
1933 Uncle Jacks Candy Babe Ruth Card
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Joe Jackson Cards 1916 Advertising Backs
1910 Old Mills Joe Jackson
1914 Boston Garter Joe Jackson
1915 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson
1911 Pinkerton Joe Jackson
Shoeless Joe Jackson Autograph
Old 11-24-2021, 06:56 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive View Post

...I can get all of the protection needed from a safe deposit vault, plus the added security in knowing that if a thief opened the safe deposit boxes, he probably would pass on picking up baseball cards...

...I don't think that an actual safe cracker who listens for the tumblers to fall with a stethoscope (like they show in old movies) will be much interested in my baseball cards....
My, how times have changed. These days, thieves might actually place cards at the top of their "hit list."

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (189/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra

Last edited by Eric72; 11-24-2021 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-25-2021, 05:25 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric72 View Post
My, how times have changed. These days, thieves might actually place cards at the top of their "hit list."
+1
I had a safe deposit box before. It gives peace of mind.
Old 11-25-2021, 05:41 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I am a big believer in both insurance and SDBs. Both are risk management tools. And having a SDB full of cards gives you an excuse for hours out of the house on a weekend

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 11-25-2021, 06:21 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I am a big believer in both insurance and SDBs. Both are risk management tools. And having a SDB full of cards gives you an excuse for hours out of the house on a weekend
+1 agreed having both is risk management and a piece of mind

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 11-25-2021, 06:55 PM

Default Safety deposit boxes

I've owned one for collectibles for more than 20 years. Theft proof, water
proof, light proof, for $100 per year- an absolute must. Trent King
Old 11-25-2021, 08:17 PM
Tom Re.bert

I might suggest putting your cards in some sort of water proof container to help protect them from any water damage in the "RARE" event of a bank fire. Bank vaults are not 100 percent water proof.
Putting any valuables in a SDB should be INSURED and INVENTORIED. Fortunately a rare 1933 Double Eagle was removed from a Twin Towers Vault.

Last edited by Directly; 11-25-2021 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-25-2021, 08:25 PM
Joe M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archive View Post

Well, I took the deep plunge into a nice safety deposit box at my bank this morning. It fits no more than 26 SGC graded cards. So, at the bank with my 50 or so best SGC cards, I sat in a little private room -- like Jason Bourne -- going through them trying to determine the 26 best, i.e., the ones that would be hardest to replace even if I got the insurance proceeds from a fire, theft, etc. It was an interesting exercise, being forced to choose the best 26 cards. I suppose it was easier than having to choose the top 5 or 10. But still, there were a couple of good cards cut at numbers 27, 28 and 29 and up into the 30's. Alas, this will just have to do because I did not want to spend more than $100 annually on the box.

I suppose at some point I'll want to drop some anti-moisture crystals in there. Perhaps a few precious documents and other heirlooms that can still fit between the cards. All in all, an interesting experience and I feel much better knowing that I'm no longer sitting on $15,000-$20,000 of hard to replace baseball cards.

If these cards are valuable cards pay more & get a larger box Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 11-26-2021, 12:24 PM
Jeffrey Kuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmtiger View Post
If these cards are valuable cards pay more & get a larger box Joe
Hi
It is tough. I have upgraded twice. It seems as I get a bigger SDB I see more space and find a way to fill it up.
Scary part I may need to get another or a larger sometime next year

Jeff Kuhr

Looking for
1921 Frederick Foto Ruth
Old 11-26-2021, 03:35 PM
Ru.ss Khederi@n

I had 2 large SD boxes costing me around $250 per year. I also supplemented that with a large policy with Collectibles Insurance that was costing me around $1500 per year. I had enough anti desiccant packs for every member of Net54 world. I would empty my boxes twice a year, look at my beautiful cards and change the anti desiccant packs (even though they showed no evidence of being saturated) This year (on my insurance anniversary date) I sent 32 items to Ken Goldin and their vault. I actually liked the presentation from PWCC but the whole issue with Ebay turned me off. Ken Goldin and Frank DeNote were fantastic and now my cards are safely in the Goldin vault and insured by Goldin for the values I assigned. I can go into my "vault" and look at my cards day or night. I realize that using Goldin will charge me a 1% withdrawal fee should I want them back. I also realize that it will be an incentive to sell with them. When the time comes to sell my 4 top cards I will receive a negative 10% seller commission. I am very happy with Goldin auction results......an auction house where honesty and integrity are a given.

Last edited by russkcpa; 11-26-2021 at 03:37 PM.