NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-05-2005, 08:01 PM
Administrator

Default ...Adieu, Adieu, Thank You and Adieu. (Personal message)

Posted By: petecld

Forgive the liberties I took with the words of Shakespeare in my title but this will be in all likelihood my final message here on this forum. A recent post by Leon referred to my new "project". Well, it is actually a new career. In January an email went out by Doug Allen at Mastro Fine Sports Auctions looking for a writer/grader. Feeling my 14-year career in Graphic Design was offering me less and less personal satisfaction I felt this position was the perfect opportunity for me. I am extremely happy to say that I was hired by Mastro and began my new job on April 18, 2005. My title will be "Writer / Researcher - Vintage Cards." I will be working directly with Brian Bigelow and Derek Grady and I couldn't find better people in this hobby to learn from.

A few people were aware of my new position but I didn't say anything until now because it was only this week, after returning from a week of card grading with Derek Grady in PA, that I was assigned a permanent desk, phone, email, etc. These last two weeks have been the best weeks I have spent at my job in YEARS! I really hit the career trifecta here. I like WHAT I do, WHERE I do it and WHO I am working with. I couldn't ask for more. My only fear is that they realize they are paying me for what I have been doing for the last 20 years on my own for free.

It is not part of my official responsibilities but if anyone wants to discuss a consignment with me please feel free to contact me directly at 630.412.1708. I won't make any promises but I'll see if I can get a "forum54 discount".

I hate to disappoint you conspiracy fans but I have learned first hand that Mastro offers no special employee discount on fees (Darn it!!!), gets speedier service from grading companies (Surprised me too), no special treatment regarding grades (Derek responds with surprise to grades just like we all may have done) and there isn't even a secret Mastro hand shake.

Let me also state how happy I am to see this forum still in one piece, or should I say one place. Through it all this board has done a lot of good and hopefully will continue to do so. I want to thank everyone for their contributions to this forum because I, like so many others, have learned a lot here and I thank you all for the hours of entertainment that all of your unique personalities have brought to the table. I think you all know what I mean... I can still be reached via my personal Earthlink email address if need be. (Link attached with this post.)

I am still a collector. I will still outbid some of you on eBay. I will definitely continue to read this board but my official status will be as a lurker.

I want to offer a special thanks to John Spencer, Mike Williams, Elliot, Bill C. and now Leon for their added dedication of taking on the often thankless job of board moderator. Without their extra effort this hobby would be a little less special for us all. I'm sure John had no idea what he was starting with that first post he made welcoming everyone to his brand new Vintage Baseball Card message board...

Peace EVERYONE and happy collecting,

Peter "petecld" Calderon
pcalderon@mastronet.com

Old 05-05-2005, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Pete, I wish you the best and hope you reconsider your decision to change your status to "lurker." As long as your posts don't relate to Mastro's auctions, I would hope that no one would construe your posts as the "official word" of Mastro. But if you or the folks at Mastro feel you can't take that risk, I'm sure we will all understand.

Old 05-05-2005, 08:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Good luck Pete. I've always thought highly of you.

Old 05-05-2005, 08:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

Congratulations on the new job, Pete. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with us all these years and best of luck at Mastro.

Old 05-05-2005, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

Pete.
Good luck to you and thanks for your knowledge. I've learned a lot from your posts.
Robert A.

Old 05-05-2005, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

Pete:
Congrats and best wishes on your new job. Sounds like a dream position. Send my regards to Doug Allen. Tell Doug I'm still enjoying the George Gibson Tip Top Bread card that he traded me.

Best Wishes, Patrick

Old 05-05-2005, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Good luck Pete. You are partially responsible for my favorite E94 overprint. For that I will be forever indebted to you. You're a great hobby friend. May the card Gods in the sky continue to shower their best on you. Hope to see ya' round. leon...ps..don't let Bill get too close, I hear he bites...

Old 05-05-2005, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

Hope the new job works out as well as planned. I hope to still meet you in Chicago and thanks for helping me get started in the caramel card section of vintage cards.
tbob
P.S. Be sure and tell Doug Allen to start looking for another Old Put for me since the one he found for me was in the shipment to GAI that UPS lost.

Old 05-05-2005, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

Congrats Pete.Ive learned alot from your website and talking to you personally about caramel cards.Im sure youll be very happy there for years to come and mastro(and in turn their customers) is lucky to have such a knowledgable person working there with the rest of the crew.

Old 05-05-2005, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

to be posted on Net54 (please do not stone the Mastronet representative). Bye...

Old 05-05-2005, 09:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Elkins

You are truly one of the good guys in the Hobby. Your website is one of the reasons I now collect caramels. Also, thanks again for that much needed last card I sent you the money for today!

Old 05-05-2005, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Ecklund

Congratulations on your new job Pete! For someone who loves this hobby, I'm sure working for Mastro would be on the short list of dream jobs.

Will the occasional sales through your site continue, or will they end now that you have this job? I have bought from you a couple times both from the site and on EBay and it has been a pleasant experience each time...I wish you luck in your career and in whatever else comes your way.

All the Best,

Greg

Old 05-05-2005, 10:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian H (misunderestimated)

So nice to hear about someone getting a new job that they want. To anyone who doesn't know Pete, trust me Mastro made a great hire.

Old 05-05-2005, 10:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

We'll miss your opinions on caramel cards especially.

Old 05-05-2005, 10:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Clarke

Pete, glad to see you with a GREAT group of poeple over in Mastroland. Can I still use you for credits in my rare Ebay auctions? I have always liked your writing style. Since you are now a "lurker", will you be coming into the restaurant for the Network54 dinner? Or will you just hang out in the car, in the parking lot? LOL JC

Old 05-05-2005, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

I thought i had a great job 'til i read about yours.

congrats! Pete.

all the best

Barry Arnold

Old 05-05-2005, 10:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

I thought i had a great job 'til i read about yours.

congrats! Pete.

all the best

Barry Arnold

Old 05-05-2005, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred

Wow, what a job!!!

I hate to disappoint you conspiracy fans but I have learned first hand that Mastro offers no special employee discount on fees (Darn it!!!), gets speedier service from grading companies (Surprised me too), no special treatment regarding grades (Derek responds with surprise to grades just like we all may have done) and there isn't even a secret Mastro hand shake.

I'd be worried about the above statement you made. Do you mean that haven't privied you to "the" Mastro handshake yet? Yikes...

Congratulations on the great "job" score!!!

Old 05-06-2005, 01:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Baxter

Wishing you the best of luck in your new job at the Emerald City . Thanks for all the knowledge that you've shared on this board. I certainly don't think I'm alone when I say that I've learned a lot from you. Don't forget that just 'cause you'll be working for the big guys, that doesn't mean you need to be a stranger. We'll need you to drop by every now and again so you can set us straight on those pesky E cards.

Best Regards,
Adam

Old 05-06-2005, 05:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John Spencer

Pete, congrats on the big move, you lucky SOB. I always thought you were a class act and now you work for a class outfit. You certainly rode the E card wave long before it crested and made a real knowledge contribution to the hobby about these long-overlooked treasures (no longer). I know you will bring the same enthusiasm and fair dealing to the Mastro organization that you always showed as a "private" citizen. Now, if you need an assistant.....

Old 05-06-2005, 06:27 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

Pete:

There is always some sadness when you bid farewell to one of the board originals, but it's gratifying that the knowledge you shared with us also impressed others enough that they wanted you for their own. As when Doug Allen left, it's hard to say whether you or Mastro got the better of the deal.

I think your statement "...My only fear is that they realize they are paying me for what I have been doing for the last 20 years on my own for free..." says it all. It's the proverbial offer you couldn't refuse.

A while back there was a tongue-in-cheek thread on this board concerning the hyperbole in the Mastro auction writeups. At least now we'll know who to blame!

Best of luck!

Kevin

Old 05-06-2005, 06:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ockday

Pete..best wishes on your new job. Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge via your great web site which helped me greatly in putting together my caramel collection. Mastro is a great operation that just got alot better.
Alan

Old 05-06-2005, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

My best to you Pete. Sounds like you will be having fun and making a living, you can't beat that! Take care and good luck, I hope it works out for you. Dan Mckee

Old 05-06-2005, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Hey Pete- let me join the bandwagon and wish you the very best in your new job; I had no idea. I've enjoyed doing business with you and even an old grizzled veteran like myself has needed help with information on candy cards and you always came through for me. You've got a great new job with a first class auction house - and you know, any company that prints a state of the art catalog can use a graphic designer, so you can write, design, get some consignments- you can do it all. Have fun and don't work too hard. Barry

Old 05-06-2005, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Posted By: FatBoy

Wishing you much luck in your new position Pete. Mastro is adding a great asset to their family.

One of these days maybe we can all find hobbies that pay .

envious Keith O'Leary

Old 05-06-2005, 09:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

everyone who has to work aspires to work at something they love; you've got it. Enjoy every minute and please don't forget us poor plain collectors. See you in July (we all hope)?

P.S.: make them give you a % of any collections you bring in for consignment!

Old 05-06-2005, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott M

Thats great news!

Pete you are truely one of the class guys in our hobby and I am highly indebted to you for helping me complete my All Star Base-Ball set this past year.

Best of luck in your new career and try not to have TOO much fun! Hopefully you will still chime in once in a while so we know you are out there...

Hope to see you at the National in July?

Scott

Old 05-07-2005, 01:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike P.

Congrats on the new position. Much luck to you! I am curious though how that will keep you from posting on the forum.

Old 05-07-2005, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

All I have to do to get Pete to post again is to post a thread on my Kling and Chance caramel card proofs. He has never been able to resist, right, Pete?

Old 05-07-2005, 01:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

Congratulations, Pete.

It sounds like a great gig for you.

Bruce Babcock