NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-25-2004, 03:14 PM
Administrator

Default More fake T206's?? Wagner, Cobb with Cobb back

Posted By: David Smith

I just saw this listing on eBAY and wanted to know what the rest of you thought...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31719&item=5126328441&rd=1

Old 09-25-2004, 03:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jon C

Wrong color ink on the Ty Cobb back - you would think they could at least get that right. Also, wrong pose on the front!

Old 09-25-2004, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

"I HAVE FORWARDED SCANS OF BOTH TO THE PRESIDENT OF PSA FOR HIS INPUT AS WELL. NEEDLESS TO SAY, HE WAS EXCITED"

funny how they never manage to send the cards to a grader, only the scans...

If it's going to PSA, better arrange personal delivery

Can I call this seller a fraudulent jackass without being castrated for it???

Old 09-25-2004, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

It's so fake it's not even worth debating. How can the collecting community get these people off ebay? There are a lot of people out there who are just getting into the hobby who will fall for these scams: "all indications are that this is not a reprint" is statement enough to get someone like this banned.

Old 09-25-2004, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

is to force Ebay to enforce its own policies re authenticity disclaimers, misrepresentations, improper listings, etc.

IMHO, Ebay is committing a fraudulent and/or unfair business practice by telling its users that it has and will enforce certain policies as to listings when it actually rarely enforces them. I believe that real reform would require either a class action suit against Ebay or action by the CA attorney general under the unfair business practice laws to force it to follow its own rules. In the meantime, all we can do is continue to fight the good fight here.

Old 09-25-2004, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Even the price guide he quotes says that the Ty Cobb back comes with a red portrait front. He ought to read his own listing.

Old 09-25-2004, 04:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Old 09-26-2004, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

in his discreption he writes... I AM INCLUDING SCANS OF THE FRONT AND BACK. TOBACCO CARD EXPERTS ARE ALSO ASKED TO LOOK AT THE SCANS OF THE T206 HONUS WAGNER (WHICH WE ALSO HAVE) FOR THEIR INPUT AS TO IT'S AUTHENTICITY. i emailed him and said i am no expert but those are fake.

Old 09-26-2004, 08:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

HIS FEEDBACK RATING IS PATHETIC.

Old 09-26-2004, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe

All of you complain every day in some form or fashion about how terrible Ebay is, well, just simply stop buying and selling in that market. Be a spinster and start your very own Vintage Card Auction site that only runs auctions for "real" cards and runs 24 hours per day 7 days a week. Who knows, maybe you can sort through the millions of auctions that you will have to weed out the bums, scums and ripoff artists. Yes, you can do it much better because after all, you are perfect in every way.

Of course, this is a fantasy land that I speak of. The fact will always be that as long as there is money involved, people will find a way to steal and take from other's at will. It is called greed, it has been alive and well for thousands of documented years, the Bible even spoke of it several times. Good luck in your new endeavor, "The All Night, All Day, Vintage Baseball Card (Vintage-Bay for short) Auction Site"

Old 09-26-2004, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dennis W.

Any respectable auction house, be it a brick and mortar house or an online auction house, has a responsibility to monitor the items it is selling for integrity purposes. You make it sound like ebay is unable to monitor their sportscard auctions because of the logistics involved in checking the vast number of items sold daily. Try to sell an illegal copy of the Windows operating system and see how fast you get booted. Ebay is fully capable of ensuring the integrity of it's auctions they just choose not to when it comes to sportscards and other items. By continuing to allow and profit from these rip-off reprint sales it is in effect condoning forgery. The Internet and it's auction sites provide an excellent opportunity for buyers and sellers to reach each other worldwide and generate (almost tax-free) income, but I believe by ignoring the rampant sales of fake items ebay is shooting itself in the foot and slowly watching itself bleed to death.

Old 09-27-2004, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

I wrote the following e-mail to the seller of the Cobb/Cobb back and got the following response this morning.
JimB

Question about your item
james.blumenthal@orst.edu wrote:

Dear ractsrd,

The Cobb card is obviously a fake. It was never printed with that pose on the front. The ink on the back was green on authentic copies. Even your description is stolen from a Mastro catalog. Have a minimal amount of integrity and pull this auction.

Please respond to the question on eBay by clicking the button below. You'll have the option to display your response directly on the listing.

Who the **** are you to question my integrity???? The cards in the scans are the ACTUAL CARDS BEING OFFERED. If you live in the CT area, I will personally show them to you! The scans were taken prior to the auction! The president of PSA thinks that there exists the possibilty that these are real. His name is Joe Orlando if you want to check. Have a good night and find another house to haunt!!!

To which I replied:

I know they are the actually cards being offered. That is why I know they are fake (for the reasons stated). If PSA thinks they are real, you should get them authenticated since it will probably increase the sell price by about 100X. If you honestly do not know it is fake, you should not be selling vintage baseball cards. This one is so obvious, it is not even funny. If you do know and are doing so anyway, you should not be selling vintage baseball cards.
Jim

Old 09-30-2004, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

TTT

Old 09-30-2004, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan

The Gehrig PSA5 looks legitimate. Not really sure what to think about this seller, he sells a lot of good, but then there is this one glaring auction. Who knows. Buyer beware I suppose.