NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-14-2006, 07:46 AM
Administrator

Default will this grade with PSA?

Posted By: Dave

Just got this on ebay, and curious if it will grade with PSA or not, by the way, i know it would only grade a 1 if anything

Old 11-14-2006, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

so I would be reasonably sure it would get a PSA 1. I'm not sure the cost of grading is worth it though.

Edited to say that I take back my last sentence. It is a Southern Hindu and I overlooked the value therein.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: RayB

Dave,
If it measures up within reason it looks like a gradeable card, albeit grade Pr-Fr PSA 1.
RayB

Old 11-14-2006, 07:54 AM
Administrator

That my hope, if measures close enough, looks quite worn (obviously). My understanding with the brown hindu being 4x the value, that I may break even, would like a brown hindu on my registry and thought this may be the cheapest route. Was $51.

Old 11-14-2006, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve f

There was an SGC 10 E98 Wagner in worse condition, sold on ebay few days back. nice pu

Old 11-14-2006, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barry arnold

This card should grade a 1.
I noted last night when perusing ebay that the seller indicated that
the Hindu is worth 4X the value. I do think this is one of those 'truths'
that needs to be evaluated contextually. Because the card is in such poor condition, the quoting of thousands of dollars value (I can't remember the exact figure mentioned in the listing; wasn't it 4000 plus)due to Southern Leaguer status X 4 due to Hindu back is a bit over the top methinks. Granted
the reference is to high grade condition. (I'm not saying that the seller is
doing any intentional misleading; it's just one of those marketing dicta
which needs to be evaluated carefully.)

I do think you are wise to be happy over the 51 dollar deal you got, as you are.
I'm just cautioning that these standards, such as the Hindu 4X, are not set in stone, particularly when the card is in poor condition. In fact, I think
we are finding that many of these multipliers need to be rethought since our
recent rethinkings of the back values due to Scot Reader's tome and other
pertinent research.

I do think that since the Hindus tend to make up only about 5%(still a sound number at this point,Scot?) of the SL
backs, you have found quite a good prize there which you should be very
pleased about and which will hold quite a distinctive place in your registry.
When we realize these pieces of good news, then the monetary value pales in
import anyway methinks.

all the best,

Barry

Old 11-14-2006, 09:41 AM
Administrator

As long as it grades I'm happy. Most cards in this condition I'd just as soon send to SGC, but doing a PSA set registry, wouldn't do me a whole lot of good. It is by far the ugliest of the 13 cards I have so far (a whole 2%) of my goal. But yes, it being a Southern Leaguer and particarly (I'm an engineer, cant spell) an Atlanta player was intriuging as I'm from Atlanta.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: S Gross

Dave,
Personally, I think it's a great card, with a great back, at a great price. Back when I put my SL sub-set together (my first vintage endeavor, a long 5 years ago), I spent ~$200 for a Hindu back Manion in not much better shape than yours, and was very happy.

Oh, by the way, it's spelled: Purtecularily ...

Old 11-15-2006, 08:11 AM
Administrator

A member has told me that the Southern Leaguers with a Hindu back can command a premium higher than the general rule of 4x a card. If that is the case, which I don't know...I'm assuming that wouldn't apply to this Smith card and the condition it is in. Either way I'm happy with $51 for it.