NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 09-30-2018, 06:20 PM
je.sse @rnot

Default 2 division ties

Should make for a couple of exciting games tomorrow. Does anyone remember two divisions ending the season in a tie the same year?
Old 09-30-2018, 06:56 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Nope. It never happened before.

nor have there been three 100-win teams in the same league.

...and came within two Tiger losses of having four 100-loss teams in that same league.

Never before have the HAVES and the HAVE NOTS been so obvious.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente

Last edited by clydepepper; 09-30-2018 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:23 AM
Barry Sloate

I assumed the three 100 win teams was a first, thanks for confirming.

Off the top of my head: Whomever these four teams played yesterday are different than who they play today. The wild card teams will play a different team tomorrow. And the wild card winner will start a seven game series against yet a different team. So if I got that right, somebody will play four consecutive games against four different teams...I think.
Old 10-01-2018, 04:50 AM
Barry Sloate

What about Baltimore finishing 61 games out of first place? That should at least be close to a record.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
What about Baltimore finishing 61 games out of first place? That should at least be close to a record.
Close in the modern era. The 1935 Braves finished 61 1/2 games out. The record is the 1899 Cleveland Spiders who finished 20-134 84 games behind Brooklyn.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:01 AM
Barry Sloate

Thanks. That is close.
Old 10-01-2018, 06:54 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

what happens to draft position if one team played one more game than the other team ..like the marlins played only 161 this year.... so if the marlins had the same amount of wins as another team but one less loss...what happens

i would imagine its possible some teams get 163 games and well while teams in the other league may have the same amount of wins but one less loss etc
Old 10-01-2018, 06:55 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Should make for a couple of exciting games tomorrow. Does anyone remember two divisions ending the season in a tie the same year?
1 game to decide who gets in seems reasonable...but one game wild card is pretty cheezy...considering you also now have a sudden death the day or so before....you basically would have to face your first divisional round of playoffs with your number 3 versus the other teams number 1...

should be a 3 game series the wild card

plus whoever wins the dodgers/rockies....will be in the world series

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 10-05-2018 at 07:23 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:37 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
1 game to decide who gets in seems reasonable...but one game wild card is pretty cheezy...considering you also now have a sudden death the day or so before....you basically would have to face your first divisional round of playoffs with your number 3 versus the other teams number 1...

plus whoever wins the dodgers/rockies....will be in the world series.

Jake- First, to 'kinda' answer your draft position question, the slot would go to the higher winning percentage team regardless of total games played...however, the draft is such a crap-shoot anyway, one position probably won't make that big a difference...unless they pick THE right one or THE wrong one...ha-ha.

Making the Wild Card game a series would devalue the division championships, but, more importantly, it would extend the season into November...and only Derek Jeter would enjoy that.

I'm not so sure about the Dodgers/Rockies winner being in the World Series....least not as automatically as you imply. If the Cubs or the Brewers get hot, they could easily get there...oh, and the dark horse in the race...who nobody gives a chance...is Atlanta...so, watch out for the 'Baby Braves'!

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 10-01-2018, 07:46 AM

The Wild Card series should be best of 5 games and all other series should be best of 7. The one game Wild Card is just as lame as the best of 5 Division Series.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:13 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
The Wild Card series should be best of 5 games and all other series should be best of 7. The one game Wild Card is just as lame as the best of 5 Division Series.
I agree one game is stupid although I guess it does create drama. I think best of 3 would be a good compromise. I'm ok on the first round being best of 5.

And with their pitching, although obviously other teams have better records, I fear the Indians of Cleveland.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:35 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Too many playoff games. And now these guys all have an extra tension filled game. I'd certainly vote to cut back the post season but I doubt MLB or its advertisers would agree.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:23 AM
Steve Birmingham

Someday the world series will end after the start of spring training.

It'll be just like Soccer.....
Old 10-01-2018, 09:32 AM
Bob Andrews

As an Orioles fan I'd have been happy to see the season end the same day it started. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But as long as we are wishing for stuff that'll never happen....I'd like them to shorten the regular season (154 games again?) and have teams toss in some scheduled doubleheaders. End the thing 10 to 14 days earlier, have every postseason series at least a three-gamer (preferably five). Let the October Classic finish in October.

My last (and even more remote) wish is for daylight WS games. Yes, that one is entirely nostalgia-based. I have a lot of fond memories of the nuns rolling TVs into our classrooms to watch Series games in the early 60s. And I remember racing home to catch the end of the 7th Game of the 1960 Series. My Mom, bless her soul, would try to catch me up on what I had missed as best she could given her limited baseball vocabulary. </oldfartmusings>
Old 10-01-2018, 11:01 AM
je.sse @rnot

On a side note Yelich is a 2 run homer away from the first NL triple crown in 81 years. That would be great to see if he can pull it off.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:06 AM
Barry Sloate

The strange thing about this is the loser doesn't get eliminated. That in itself is very unusual.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:25 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by clydepepper View Post
Jake- First, to 'kinda' answer your draft position question, the slot would go to the higher winning percentage team regardless of total games played...however, the draft is such a crap-shoot anyway, one position probably won't make that big a difference...unless they pick THE right one or THE wrong one...ha-ha.

Making the Wild Card game a series would devalue the division championships, but, more importantly, it would extend the season into November...and only Derek Jeter would enjoy that.

I'm not so sure about the Dodgers/Rockies winner being in the World Series....least not as automatically as you imply. If the Cubs or the Brewers get hot, they could easily get there...oh, and the dark horse in the race...who nobody gives a chance...is Atlanta...so, watch out for the 'Baby Braves'!

Guess Cubs wont get hot.....
Old 11-10-2018, 08:32 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post

plus whoever wins the dodgers/rockies....will be in the world series
+1