NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-19-2008, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Default Counterfeit W517s Resurface

Posted By: Paul

Several years ago, Bob Lemke wrote an article about counterfeit W517s. He also wrote about counterfeit Bazookas in the same article. The counterfeit W517s may have resurfaced on ebay. Either that, or a new forger has come along.

I'd like to ask Bob some questions about the counterfeits he saw to see if these are the same ones again, or new ones. Do any of you have his email address? Did any of you save the article he wrote in SCD years ago? Thanks.

Old 02-19-2008, 03:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Paul, If you're uncomfortable posting, email me a link.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad Green

Paul:

I'd like to see these recent reprints as well. Please send me a link or post it here. Thanks!

Brad

Old 02-19-2008, 08:29 PM
Administrator

I don't have it yet. It should be arriving in a few days.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob C

I recently picked up over 100 Large W517's from a lady in the Midwest who said her grandfather collected them when he was a kid (I know...I know...) It was a leap of faith for each of us but it has worked out nicely.

For background on the reprints, the borders of the fake ones often have tiny yellow or tan dots that give the borders an aged look rather than being one solid natural color. Usually, they can be seen only under a magnifying glass, just like the dots that make up the whole picture. Also, on the reprints, the tiny dots also appear in the circle where the card number is. Again, on the originals, the number is printed on a solid-color circle.

None of the cards I purchased from her display any of these characteristics, and both SGC and PSA have graded several of them including the Ruth and Gehrig.

Hope it helps.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:28 AM
Administrator

A favorite issue of mine... Bob, lets have a look at your Babe and Lou.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Administrator

It looks like this is a new set of W517 counterfeits. Bob Lemke contacted me and let me know that the previous counterfeits came from Sol Creamer in Harrisburg, Pa. The new ones are from Newport Kentucky. When mine arrives, I'll let you know if they have the same telltale print dots as the Harrisburg ones.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:32 PM
Administrator

The Grove card that I bought last year with the dots in the border came through eBay from someone in Enola, PA.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

brad was that grove a counterfit? i remember that post and the card was pretty authentic looking.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:17 PM
Administrator

I believe that my Grove is a fake. If anyone wants to see a high-res scan of it, send me an email and I'll send you a scan. My high-res scan clearly shows the dots in the border. "Lefty Grove" is also printed with a slightly different font than the other W517 Grove's that I've seen.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob C

Per Request!

Old 02-20-2008, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Bob, those are beauts. I have the other version of the Lou, larger photo image and wider printed border. Thanks for posting 'em.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:00 PM
Administrator

My counterfeit W517 arrived. It does have the tiny print dots in the border, just like the previous round of counterfeits. It also has a glossier surface than the other W517s I've seen. The dots can't be seen with the naked eye -- at least not by my eyes. You need a magnifying glass to see them. I'd post a scan, but the dots won't show up at the resolution permitted by this website.

I also took a close look at my other W517s and noticed that you can't rely indiscriminately on the circle with the number in it to decide if the card is counterfeit. If the circle appears on a dark background, then the circle should be pure white, without any print dots. But sometimes the circle appears on the player's uniform. When this happens, the print dots that make up the player's uniform will appear in the circle. So, it's safer just to look at the border to see if there are any print dots.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:36 AM
Administrator

Paul:

I agree with you about the dots in the circle. I found this to be a difficult way to tell whether or not my Grove card was a fake.

Please consider cropping your high-res scan and posting the cropped image. Perhaps you could just show a corner of the card, rather than the whole card.

This evening I will find the old thread about my Grove fake and post it here. I believe I showed the dots in the border in that thread.

Brad

Old 02-21-2008, 02:49 AM
Administrator

Here is a link to my Grove W517 thread from last summer. There is a link to my high-res scan about 2/3 the way down that page.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1185020570

Old 02-21-2008, 04:53 AM
Administrator

Years ago, Bill Spiegler had thousands of these reprinted in four different colors. These are copies of the "PA farmhouse find". Spig had the sense to print w517 on the bottom L edge. Of course, devious sellers trim this away.

Please support the Strike and Stay Away from the baY

Edit; Removed photo that are genuine W517's. Again, my apologies Bob.