NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-17-2006, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Default w575-2's ?

Posted By: bill

are these w575-2's and if so how were they distributed?
the dots are from the printer not on the cards

Old 10-17-2006, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Default w575-2's ?

Posted By: fkw

Yes.

Boxed set, issued by Kromo Gravure Photo Co. of Detroit

Old 10-17-2006, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Default w575-2's ?

Posted By: leon

I still wonder how these were distributed originally? This strip was never in 2 pieces......

Old 10-17-2006, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Default w575-2's ?

That Hotel Schedule card is rare, Ive never seen another.

The normal blank backed cards were issued in a boxed set of 40 (machine cut). and most likely sold for 10 cents a box.

Here is a link to the related Movie Star set with a couple boxes.

http://www.moviecard.com/zamerican/assorted/kromoP.html

Old 10-17-2006, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Default w575-2's ?

Hey Frank
I checked out that link and didn't really see where there were baseball players listed? Only one of those pictures has a signature on the shoulder area too. I would like to see something closer to baseball players to confirm this. Do you know of anything else? best regards

(this is the 2nd schedule strip card I have...though the other is only half of one)

Old 10-17-2006, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Default w575-2's ?

Posted By: Rhys

I found a complete set about 2 years ago but it was missing one player. These cards were in such nice condition when I found them that I doubt the original owner would have misplaced a card. Frank is right that they were machine cut, but some of the cards were noticeably thinner (not as wide but not trimmed)than the rest while all were exactly the same height. The thinner ones were all exactly the same width as well so it appeared to me that they came issued in perhaps two print runs and it would seem highly unlikely that both print runs of thinner and thicker cards would have been issued in a single box for resale.

Just my opinion from having discovered all but one card in a vintage find.

Rhys

Old 10-17-2006, 11:15 AM
Administrator

Default w575-2's ?

Kromo Gravure Photo Co. made the W575-2 cards. Its been listed that way in the SCD Catalog.... at least back to the 2002 SCD, maybe longer. Except the SCD misspells it "Gravue".

If I remember right, I read somewhere a couple years back they were a boxed set and I researched it and found the Movie cards/box info.

I have never seen the Baseball Box. Anyone have one?

Here is more info from the same Movie card site.

http://www.moviecard.com/zamerican/assorted/kromo.html

Old 10-17-2006, 11:35 AM
Administrator

Default w575-2's ?

Posted By: Jeff Drum

I have appx. 80 of these cards at the present time and have them on both the thicker and thinner card stock. They are all very uniform in size regardless of the cut and all appear to be machine cut. Interestingly enough on the few examples that you see that are PSA graded they denote them as "Hand Cut." I am not sure where they get their informstion from. I have the majority of mine SGC graded and they do not denote them as such. I have been collecting these for years and Leon's example is the only case I have ever seen where there are more than one card in a strip. Also of interest is the number of times that you see these listed in guides and auctions as strip cards.

Old 10-17-2006, 11:50 AM
Administrator

Default w575-2's ?

Like I said I have another with only half a schedule on back and one player. I was amazed when I picked this up and put it under a 10x to see if it was seperated where the middle crease is. It's never been seperated. I am sure that they are called "strip" cards as Burdick labelled them as the catch all "W" series...along with those really big strip cards...W600's .... Interesting stuff here....

Old 10-18-2006, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Default w575-2's ?

Posted By: Jim Manos

The W designation is that of anonymous card not necessarily a strip card. Cool card Leon.

Old 10-18-2006, 08:05 AM
Administrator

Default w575-2's ?

Thanks for the clarifation but according to the Grandfather of Card Collecting, Jefferson Burdick, you are wrong. He classified the latter W's (W500-W644) as Trading or Strip Cards and gave the designation of W500 to any that aren't classified. He did mention that due to their blank backs the identification was far from complete (as of 1960). I think we would classify some differently today but I go by the ACC about 98% of the time.... Thanks for chiming in though...it is appreciated ...

Old 10-18-2006, 08:31 AM
Administrator

Default w575-2's ?

Posted By: Josh K.

This question is only marginally related, but does anyone know whether the W575-1s were handcut or machine cut? Were they distributed by the same company as the 575-2s?

Old 11-07-2018, 01:29 PM
Steve L

Default W575 Schedule Cards

Were the W575-2 Schedule Cards issued in the year of the schedule (1923 or 1924) or are they a more recent issue?

Love of the Game has a 1924 Detroit Tiger Schedule Card for sale while the schedule card in the above thread is a 1923 Detroit Tiger Schedule Card.

Thanks

http://loveofthegameauctions.com/192...-LOT17578.aspx
Old 11-30-2018, 04:50 PM

Default 1922 w75-2

Hi, saw an earlier post about thick and thinner versions----can someone explain? I just have a few from this year, but kind of like them..... Just joined the group, was wondering if anyone is looking to sell individual cards from the set? Feel free to reach out, thx!
Old 12-06-2018, 06:31 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizaboy View Post
Hi, saw an earlier post about thick and thinner versions----can someone explain? I just have a few from this year, but kind of like them..... Just joined the group, was wondering if anyone is looking to sell individual cards from the set? Feel free to reach out, thx!
I am not sure I have heard of thicker and thinner versions of the W575-2 series? There is the one shown above that was attached (or uncut) from another but that is all.
Welcome to the forum and fyi, you should put your request in the BST area where those cards would be listed. I have sold some over there in the past. Happy collecting.

Last edited by Leon; 12-06-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:16 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I am not sure I have heard of thicker and thinner versions of the W575-2 series? There is the one shown above that was attached (or uncut) from another but that is all.
Welcome to the forum and fyi, you should put your request in the BST area where those cards would be listed. I have sold some over there in the past. Happy collecting.
When I bought a group of 5 a while ago from an old find (new to hobby) I think I had 2/3, or 3/2 of slightly wider cut and slightly narrower, I forget which were which. All factory cut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 32800451032_7fd5552549_z.jpg (56.8 KB, 100 views)
Old 12-11-2018, 06:59 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I think there were 2 things being questioned but not sure. One question is about the card stock, which to me is the thickness of the stock. And the other has to do with the width of the card from side to side. I could understand wider cards but also on different paper stock? I don't know of too many series which were intentionally printed on different stock. Maybe I misunderstood?
Also, to answer a 12 yrs old question above, we now know the W575-1s were delivered, at least by one distributor, in a pack of 20 and not as strips. For newer members they can see below (older members have seen these.)
My guess on the W575-1s is; they were distributed by many different companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan09 View Post
When I bought a group of 5 a while ago from an old find (new to hobby) I think I had 2/3, or 3/2 of slightly wider cut and slightly narrower, I forget which were which. All factory cut.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pw575group1.jpg (73.3 KB, 57 views)