NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-02-2024, 05:37 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Default Slow payments/nonpayment

Just another brick in the wall, I guess...

Seems like the economic situation must be starting to affect our world a bit more these days. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who received this email from Heritage today:

As a result of a noticeable uptick in delayed payments, and higher interest rates in financial markets, interest charges will be added to invoices not paid by the due date, consistent with Heritage's Terms and Conditions of sale, as follows:

A 1% monthly interest charge on the declining balance will be applied to all invoices that are not paid within 14 days of the invoice date. After 45 days, the interest rate will increase to 1.5% monthly, on the declining balance.

We will send a reminder by email, before the due date.

Flexible Payment Options: We understand that circumstances can vary, and we are committed to working with you to find a suitable payment solution if needed. Please do not hesitate to contact us to discuss any concerns or to set up a payment plan.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel
Old 02-02-2024, 06:29 PM

Almost all the time I wish I could get my invoice faster, much less waiting 1-2 weeks to actually pay.

If anyone gets into a situation like that without a sudden unforeseen incident occurring or a plan that involves the wait they should probably do some self-checking on whether they might have a spending, bid-gambling, or hording addiction.
Old 02-02-2024, 06:38 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioCRN View Post
Almost all the time I wish I could get my invoice faster, much less waiting 1-2 weeks to actually pay.

If anyone gets into a situation like that without a sudden unforeseen incident occurring or a plan that involves the wait they should probably do some self-checking on whether they might have a spending, bid-gambling, or hording addiction.
I get you, for sure. And generally agree.

Of course, there was one time when I waited until the last day to pay an invoice. I won a pretty thick stack of rare and valuable Mays pieces at the auction, and was on the cusp of getting a big bonus at work. So I took my sweet time to pay, because I expected to have the cash by the deadline.

Naturally the bonus dragged, and ultimately didn't come in by the payment deadline, so I had to float the payment on the HELOC, which the wife TOTALLY loved. Luckily, the bonus came through shortly thereafter and it only cost me a couple hundred in interest. But the principle didn't sit well with her.

1963 Post complete panel
1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 02-02-2024 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-02-2024, 06:50 PM
Ken McMillan

My theory in general is if you don’t have the money to pay for something immediately, then you probably shouldn’t be buying it. Can’t blame an auction house for doing this. Business 101.
Old 02-02-2024, 06:57 PM
Dave

Sounds reasonable. Surprised they weren’t already doing that. Still cheaper then most credit cards nowadays.
Old 02-02-2024, 07:00 PM
Is Mudville so bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
Sounds reasonable. Surprised they weren’t already doing that. Still cheaper then most credit cards nowadays.
Its always been the rule at Heritage as stated in their terms, the email was just a reminder since slow/non pay is increasing. I think every bidder got one as a general FYI.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 02-02-2024, 07:15 PM
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
My theory in general is if you don’t have the money to pay for something immediately, then you probably shouldn’t be buying it. Can’t blame an auction house for doing this. Business 101.
Blows my mind to think that people would bid otherwise.

Not just Business 101, but Life 101. Don't spend whatcha aint got.
Old 02-03-2024, 12:54 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
Blows my mind to think that people would bid otherwise.

Not just Business 101, but Life 101. Don't spend whatcha aint got.
There's so many auction houses these days, I can't keep up with them all. I've forgotten I won something more than once.

Also, not everyone keeps large sums of cash just sitting around in their checking accounts. For smaller purchases, sure, you should have the money available. But for high-end stuff, people often have to move money around in order to pay for it.
Old 02-03-2024, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
For smaller purchases, sure, you should have the money available. But for high-end stuff, people often have to move money around in order to pay for it.
Yeah, I'm living that $100-$5000 auction life over here, not bidding on the big time stuff.

If I was playing in league with the big boys of the market, the timing of moving money would be a much more serious thing and the really large stuff I'd want to make sure I won before shuffling assets around.
Old 02-03-2024, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Bergin View Post
+1. All businesses give a window to pay and then charge late fees; 1% per month is a pretty cheap late fee.

If you win something big and have to move money around etc, just call the AH. I am sure they will work with you and waive the late fee if you communicate and follow through with whatever the parties agree to
Old 02-03-2024, 07:36 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

My experience with heritage has been that they pay consignors on day 45 exactly. If they want payment net 14 I guess they plan on taking a thirty day loan interest free from consignors. Plop that into a HYSA and the rake must be sizable.

Totally agree with you guys on not buying what you can’t afford. Like the song says, don’t do the crime if you can’t do the time.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-03-2024 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-03-2024, 01:03 PM
Chase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
There's so many auction houses these days, I can't keep up with them all. I've forgotten I won something more than once.

Also, not everyone keeps large sums of cash just sitting around in their checking accounts. For smaller purchases, sure, you should have the money available. But for high-end stuff, people often have to move money around in order to pay for it.
This is 2024 not 1894. How long can it take to get money transferred to an account where a payment can then be made? 6 hours? I can do it in seconds if the money is not already in my account.

And if you know you are bidding and possibly going to spend a good deal of money, why not prepare in advance?
Old 02-03-2024, 01:44 PM

I think its mostly a case of people trying to sell material to cover the auction tab. After many major auctions we see a rash of better material on the BST in an effort to raise cash after they win an item. Could be a small, medium or large purchase.
Old 02-03-2024, 02:13 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post
This is 2024 not 1894. How long can it take to get money transferred to an account where a payment can then be made? 6 hours? I can do it in seconds if the money is not already in my account.

And if you know you are bidding and possibly going to spend a good deal of money, why not prepare in advance?
Weirdly that isn't how it works most of the time. I owned a construction company and the more money the client had the harder/longer it took to get paid.

Wouldn't work in auctions. In construction we would add 10% to the bid. If they paid with in 7 days of completion of job they got a 10% discount or what it would normally cost. If I had to wait they paid a 10% fee after 7 days. This was a must for wealthy people and Churches. Almost all poor people tried to pay before you even finished the job in my 20+ years of real life experience.

I figured this was more about a forum member not paying for something. Nice to see I was wrong.
Old 02-03-2024, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
i think its mostly a case of people trying to sell material to cover the auction tab. After many major auctions we see a rash of better material on the bst in an effort to raise cash after they win an item. Could be a small, medium or large purchase.
100%.
Old 02-03-2024, 09:22 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
My experience with heritage has been that they pay consignors on day 45 exactly. If they want payment net 14 I guess they plan on taking a thirty day loan interest free from consignors.
Heritage, and all auction houses, need some time between receiving payment and then paying the consigners, to make sure there isn't a problem with the item itself. For instance, if a jersey is sold as an all original 1955 Cardinals home flannel, but the buyer, when he receives it, notices the zipper hasp is plastic rather than metal and insists on a return, a reputable AH will allow that (and apologize sincerely for the mistake.)

As far as Heritage, twice they've shipped my winnings to me before receiving my payment, which I thought was pretty nice. I'm not a big spender but I participate and bid regularly with them.
Old 02-04-2024, 05:53 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorewalker View Post

Ask the data scientist , he has specifics

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 03-18-2024, 01:31 AM
MJ

Heritage is a reputable AH and I have nothing but positive things to say about them. They are reasonable and will work with you if some unforeseen issue occur.
Old 03-18-2024, 02:55 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
+1. All businesses give a window to pay and then charge late fees; 1% per month is a pretty cheap late fee.

If you win something big and have to move money around etc, just call the AH. I am sure they will work with you and waive the late fee if you communicate and follow through with whatever the parties agree to
Communication is EVERYTHING. We don't enforce any of our "punitive" policies with simple communication.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions