NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-28-2004, 09:29 PM
Administrator

Default My world tour: Australia baseball post cards

Posted By: Max Weder

Any idea who any of these wags might be? The first card's uniforms looks a little like a White Sox variation while the second card's uniforms are Melbourne, and seem to be somewhat earlier. Both are divided back post cards with Australian printing information, but no other details. The first has an entertwined "SA" it seems, and despite my being lost for days on the roads of Sydney, nothing comes to mind as to what this club was.

And how about Australia first beating NZ one innings and 156 and now Australia bolwing New Zealand out for 251, then beginning the second innings at 57 without loss to take a 381-run lead in the second Test? Wow!

Max

Old 11-28-2004, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

Serioualy, those are crickett-like scores...but that's a baseball bat-like baseball bat front and center on the first card.

Old 11-28-2004, 10:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Geno

The stuff about one innings, 156 runs, bowling, test, etc is all cricket terminology. However, the bats in the first picture are not from a cricket team, so I would guess that it is baseball on just the picture alone. Cricket bats are flat, not round, like the ones in the picture. Maybe the second photo is cricket, especially since they are wearing white. Sorry I'm not more help, just idle observations from watching cricket over here in England...

Old 11-28-2004, 10:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hankron

I lived in Australia as a kid (Could post a picture of me as a 7 year old holding a Koala Bear). All the houses where I lived were one stilts because of the snakes. They played a lot of cricket, don't remember any baseball.

Old 11-28-2004, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Julie

These are definitely baseball post cards; the scores were my obscure attempt at humour at relaying the cricket test results after having spent the last three weeks in Australia. There is much cricket memorabilia there, and great enthusiasm for the game.

Australia is a sports mad country, and has produced a few notable major leaguers. Unfortunately, I couldn't locate any world tour posters from Spalding. 1913-14 or whenever else there were visits.
Max

Old 11-28-2004, 10:35 PM
Administrator

crickett scores with baseball bats...nice photos, anyway.

I'll look in the Spaulding guide (1913--covers 1912--Red Sox beat the Giants...yeah...) for Australian news tomorrow. There's a Cuban photo I want to send R. Cristoff anyway, right at the front of the book.

Old 11-28-2004, 11:59 PM
Administrator

Cricketers look subtantially different than baseball players. The ball is different, the bats are different, no gloves, casual white uniforms with long pants (no American knickers). They dress like Fred Astaire at the poolside.

Old 11-29-2004, 12:01 AM
Administrator

P.s., tell a British cricket fan that own a CDV of the 1869 Cincinnai Redstockings in knickers, and you'll get a laugh (In Britain, knickers means underwear).

Old 11-29-2004, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Just a few days ago a college student from Melbourne emailed me. She's doing her Ph.d. thesis on Chinese in Austrailia. She had a CDV with advertising on back (for a tea house), and wasn't sure what to call it. She heard it might be a 'trade card' but wasn't sure what is the the definition of a trade card. She found me (probably via google) because I had a picture of the 1868 Peck & Snider White Sox with advertising on the back, and figured I might know. At the end of our email conversation, she asked me what one of those Peck & Snyder trade cards would cost. I laughed to myself, because I knew she'd think American baseball collectors are nuts if I told her.

Old 11-29-2004, 01:33 PM
Administrator

the juxtaposition of the photos and the score reports was supposed to be a JOKE...o well.

Old 11-29-2004, 07:12 PM
Administrator

In what surely must be a VBC record number of postings on cricket and baseball that doesn't involve Harry Wright and CDV's, I have received further information on one of these photos.

I have been advised that with respect to the Melbourne photo, leading cricketers Walter Ingleton and (probably) Frank Laver are in the photo, circa 1905. I was also told that at that time, it was likely that all players were also members of the Melbourne Cricket Club.

I suspect by 1905 few if any high level baseball players in the USA were continuing to dabble in cricket, but if anyone knows of such players, let me know.

Max

Old 11-29-2004, 09:57 PM
Administrator

Old 11-29-2004, 10:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ben

Would it be possible for me to say that those Boston Garters are the coolest cards without people inferring some sort of homoerotic implication? That's right, I'm talkin to you, the-illini...you had my feelings hurt last time, when you accused me of fancying Nap Rucker in his knickers

Old 11-29-2004, 10:28 PM
Administrator

All I know is when someone says "knickers," my mind automatically turns to Kate Moss (a Brit), while everyone else on the board thinks of the 1869 Cincinnati Reds baseball team. I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

Old 11-29-2004, 10:46 PM
Administrator

Actually, Ben, the Boston Garters are universally liked by people who see them, even if they don't collect cards or like sports. It would peculiar to not like the set.

Old 11-30-2004, 01:25 AM
Administrator

which celebrates--crickett! I made sure I got one, but it's not scanned.

Homoeroticism: there're men, and there're women, and there's absolutely everything in between. I don't see why people can't find all of them attractive.

I know; I'm one of thosee weirdos.

Old 11-30-2004, 06:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy Leiderman

Stereoview close-up
Thanks to Trae for the image upload tool

Old 11-30-2004, 06:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

Old 11-30-2004, 06:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

But what exactly does the term PAD refer to? Oh wait - it must be the garter, not the knickers.

Old 11-30-2004, 09:29 AM
Administrator

knee and the top of the thigh--well, to just a little above the knee.

Old 11-30-2004, 09:56 AM
Administrator

On a university student, same year, from the Murad set: