NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-09-2002, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Default This is a first

Posted By: petecld 

This is a first for me. Look at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1802769229

The high bidder of this card on ebay has just e-mailed me 3 different times telling me this card is available. Why would the high bidder want the competition?

Bidder's remorse or shill?

The card is way too short for my comfort. If it was in a PRO holder I would be surprised but I have no experience with CTA and this example dosn't help.

Old 02-09-2002, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Default This is a first

Posted By: runscott

...is that the seller accidentally sent emails to potential bidders using his shill i.d.

Old 02-09-2002, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Default This is a first

Posted By: Bill Cornell

That e92 Matty does look short top-to-bottom.

I don't know whether it's shill bidding - the seller's About Me page states, "I'm a 52 yr. old Asst. Principal at Jr. High School, so right off the BAT you know eBAy is a nice escape from the riggors of my day". Riggors?

My recollection of asst. principals is that they didn't tolerate any wrongdoing - loitering in the halls, bullying others, etc. Shill bidding would fall under this umbrella.

Old 02-09-2002, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Default This is a first

Posted By: TBob

is genrally good enough for me to stay away from a card. I had given this one some thought but will probably be glad I let it go. Besides, how many of this pose does one guy need? I have 3 of this pose from 3 different sets, this would have been number 4.

Old 02-09-2002, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Default This is a first

Posted By: Elliot

The bidder's first positive feedback (over 3 years ago) is from this seller. Also. in the past little while he's bid on 4 of the seller's auctions---all in different collecting areas. Out of a positive feedback of 12---seems unlikely. If this isn't a case of shill bidding I'd be very surprised.

Old 02-09-2002, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Default This is a first

Posted By: petecld

I had forgotten I e-mailed the seller to check what color printing is on the back of the card. The name in the e-mail from the seller is LARRY HOLT.

The high bidder's name is KELLY HOLT.

Hmmmmmm.

Old 02-09-2002, 10:36 PM
Administrator

Default This is a first

Posted By: jay behrens

Sounds like time to drop a note to eBay

Jay

Old 02-11-2002, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Default This is a first

Posted By: Anonymous

Don't waste your time reporting shill bidding to eBay, they wouldn't recognize it if it bit them in the arse. Check out the PSA 9 1955 Jackie Robinson #1800810901 and #1802126193. I reported it and got the usual canned response.

Old 02-11-2002, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Default This is a first

wow, that's some delivery service they found. That card wetn from KC to SF in less than 4 hours. That is pretty sad if eBay did nothing about that. A 4 year old could see what is going on there.

Jay

Old 02-11-2002, 01:02 PM
Administrator

Default This is a first

Posted By: MW

After all, there IS a same-day delivery service for FedEx. Although considering that the card only reached 54% of the SMR price, I doubt the seller would have been willing to "foot" the extra expense.

Old 02-11-2002, 01:10 PM
Administrator

Default This is a first

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

also for UPS.....called Sonicair. $169.00 door to door up to a certain weight limit. Much better service results that Fedex's (but I'm not partial).

Old 02-11-2002, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Default This is a first

Posted By: Elliot

I think the guy just listed it with the scan from the first listing, without having received the card. Look at the neg he got from the first seller---he never paid for the card, he was just trying to make a quick flip.

Old 02-11-2002, 03:21 PM
Administrator

Default This is a first

Don't even get me started on UPS. After they 'lost' a game used Willie Mays bat from the 1951 WS that was supposed to be signed by anyone that touched it, I have no desire to ever spend money with them. All they did was write a check for the insured amount and didn't bother to investigate or try and locate the item. Needless to say, there were several unhappy people as a result of this.

Jay

Old 02-11-2002, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Default This is a first

Posted By: Julie Vognar

The first leland auction I bid in, I went for an extreme close=up of Joe Jackson's face. If he hadn't been looking over the photographer's shoulder, he would have looked crosseyed. Never saw it before; never seen it since (except in my collection). Leland can be, er, really dumb. Said in the catalogue the "C" on Jackson's cap meant he was with the White Sox, and called it a "Brace photo" because george Brace's stamp, Chicago, 2-number zip, was on the back (George Brace is only now in his eighties). Leland's can be really nice. Before I bid $1650 on it, I said, "I'm going to need 3 extra weeks to pay for this if I bid any higher." ":No problemm," said the man. That was without the 15%.

Two weeks later, at 10:30 P.M. a UPS man threw the box at my door, without even ringing the bell or knocking. Fortunately, i was close enough to hear, and the photo was well-packed.

It's my favorite collectible.

Old 02-11-2002, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Default This is a first

Posted By: David

Do you know the time period when the 2-digit zip code was in use? I'm not asking because you're the oldest, but because your're the smartest