NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-11-2002, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Default a case made for cracking

Posted By: leon

Well...just got my Nadja-Wallace in the mail from Mike Williams. Great card. It's a PSA 5 as of when they encased it. Probably still is unless I jostle it very much. I am thinking ole Bobby is probably seasick from getting rocked around and shuffling in the holder so much. Have I ever said how much I HATE their holders? If not then " I HATE PSA HOLDERS". (nothing personal to all you PSA'ers, Halley).... and still not gonna crack, but tempted ......regards all

Old 02-11-2002, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MW

how nice that card would look in an SGC holder

Old 02-11-2002, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: HalleyGator

I am saddened that it has come to this ... lone little old me defending corporate giant PSA!!

What can I say? The HOF set registry was made at my insistence ... so I can't very well ignore it, can I?

http://www.psacard.com/new_set_registry/display_rsets.chtml?setid=186&set_name=Hall%20Of%20Fame%20Players

Old 02-11-2002, 02:05 PM
Administrator

I am for anyone that is trying to help the hobby. You are trying and I applaud you for that. Just like my last fiasco of the "SGC" policies there will be many that can "bash" you but not many that will try to help. Except for their problems with some vintage grading and their holders I have nothing against PSA. I would still feel a little better having a PSA card than one not graded at all. Most of the times they do get it right. Although that might be like saying "Well, Mrs. Lincoln except for the gunshot how was the play?".....keep at it sir !!!...and as always, best regards

Old 02-11-2002, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Williams

how 'bout some of that fine "texas style" feedback

Old 02-11-2002, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David

Hal, I'm not a fan of graded cards (SCG included), but you have collection that even the most jaded anti-PSAite would be jelous of (even if he wouldn't admit it on this board).

Old 02-11-2002, 02:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

Today I freed 3 SGC prisoners: e95s Bender,Maddox and Doyle - Bender elected to keep his prison hat. Still got the dogs out looking for Wagner and Plank.

Old 02-11-2002, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

Where's my Oakes?

Not sure what I am gonna do with mine, but more than likely am gonna free it after I move. I hate the way PSA holders look, especially with cards floating around inside an improperly sized holder. I can't imagine it's that hard to make inserts to hold a card in place. I like the SCG holders a lot, but still not a fan of slabbing cards.

Jay

Old 02-11-2002, 04:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

I went to the PSA HOF site and it is pretty impressive. You are like the Babe Ruth of this pick up game. I noticed that you say you want the oldest card of each HOFer. In that case do I have two cards for you---a nice Old Judge Duffy and a nice Mayo Robinson. After tomorrow I'll let you know about the Hornsby, Heilmann and the Rice. Maybe you want to buy the Jackson to liberate the others.

Old 02-11-2002, 04:29 PM
Administrator

SGC crammed a t206 Gabby Street into a hole that was way too small. The card was not even close to "in the hole" when I received it. I cracked it and it was one of those "big boys"...and I prefer SGC to any of the other grading companies...except PRO, of course, due to the entertainment value they provide the board.

Old 02-11-2002, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Cornell

Old 02-11-2002, 04:39 PM
Administrator

I am indeed interested in your Duffy and Uncle Robbie cards ... because my T206 Duffy is NOT what I consider a "real card" of his (he was finished playing by 1906)... and because my 1916 Wilbert Robinson card is a "manager" card rather than one from his playing days. The Mayo would not technically be the "oldest" Uncle Robbie card, but it would be FINE for me!!

PS - Don't worry ... Shoeless Joe is going to sell for more than your reserve of $8,077 ... I have confidence in the ability of EBayers to spot a GREAT BUY when they see one!!

Old 02-11-2002, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: TBob

Crack that jewel open. I try to be a non-discriminating cracker. From G to EXMT and whether it is PSA, SGC, PRO, or whomever.
I freed a T207 Lewis from its PRO prison and Irving thanked me profusely for the early-exit release from custody.

Old 02-11-2002, 04:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill Cornell

Old 02-11-2002, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

I just cracked a PSA 8 1949 Bowman Doby open. Almost cut my fingers on the corners...of the card, that is.

Old 02-11-2002, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

I just got two "Acu-grade" cards and their holders look so bad that I would prefer the cards raw. Anyone have any advice on the best way to remove them from their tombs?

Old 02-11-2002, 05:21 PM
Administrator

"Evidence of Stupidity"

Old 02-11-2002, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Collect the really cool descriptive labels!

I've got a "t206 backs set" going from SGC and a standard type set going for PSA. I've never owned a PRO, am I missing anything? Besides, I have my own x-acto knife.

Old 02-11-2002, 05:24 PM
Administrator

You forgot something after the exmt that you "free" didn't you? So you wouldn't free a card in nrmt or nrmt-mt or better.....? Just curious....personally I would not do it because of monetary reasons if nothing else....just my opinion and might not be popular ....oh well....regards all

Old 02-11-2002, 05:26 PM
Administrator

In addition to Hugh Duffy mentioned above, the following T-206 cards (and any other 1909 or later cards) are also NOT "REAL" cards in my opinion because the cards were printed AFTER the players ended their playing careers:

Jake Beckley
Jimmy Collins
George Davis
Clark Griffith
Joe Kelley
Joe McGinnity
John McGraw

Picky, I know, but ALL of these guys have other cards that WERE printed during their playing days ... sopme from the Old Judge set and most from the 1903 Breisch Williams Type I E107 set.

Old 02-11-2002, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Sorry, but I forgot Hughie Jennings as well.

He quit playing before 1909.

Old 02-11-2002, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

Hal--I will send scans of all the cards this weekend (including the Collins McCarthy group).