NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-22-2018, 03:54 AM
Barry Sloate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
PSA has graded 143 Uzits and 132 Drums. I don't understand why a Drum is 2.5 to 3 times the price of an Uzit.
More demand for Drum. They're considered the gold standard of rare backs.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:49 AM
Sean Costello

Quote:
PSA has graded 143 Uzits and 132 Drums. I don't understand why a Drum is 2.5 to 3 times the price of an Uzit.
This has been discussed before, but I can't find the thread. Uzits are more plentiful, but feature fewer subjects, so there are more Uzits for each subject. For example, I've come across at least 6 different Merkle/ Uzits.

Drums, however, are featured on more subjects, so many of the Drums are one of one or one of two for many subjects. I think that that level of scarceness for many front/ back combo with the Drums raises the price relative to the Uzits.
Old 08-22-2018, 05:14 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
This has been discussed before, but I can't find the thread. Uzits are more plentiful, but feature fewer subjects, so there are more Uzits for each subject. For example, I've come across at least 6 different Merkle/ Uzits.

Drums, however, are featured on more subjects, so many of the Drums are one of one or one of two for many subjects. I think that that level of scarceness for many front/ back combo with the Drums raises the price relative to the Uzits.

I agree.

Last edited by iwantitiwinit; 08-22-2018 at 05:15 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post

What about Uzits that have pops of 1, 2 or 3? I can understand if there are 9 Merkles why it might sell for less, but it doesn't make sense that the higher pops would bring down the price on the low pop Uzits.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:39 AM
D P M

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinD View Post
Titus recipe for fake hype =

Slowly buy up at least 75 - 100 commons ( mostly graded, between 2-5 grades are fine).
Make a post fanning them out stating you have been investing as you see an upside.
Tell a few other colleagues you have secretly been working to corner the market but finding frustration as "I just can't seem to find many anymore, the supply seems low" (this doesn't need to be true).
Those collectors spread the rumor in boards and in hushed tones about "the accumulator".
Dealers raise prices hoping to bring you in like a sucker, people panic and start buying.
You wait till the hype drifts up during the next couple years.
Slowly sell individual cards at the peak and make a mint from the panic.
Laugh to yourself over how easy that was.

It's all a house of cards...literally.
Looks like someone took your advise with Bob Ganley last night. 4 of them sold in a short period of time.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:12 PM
Anson

Unearthing this thread. After seeing the PWCC auction results tonight, I'm having to go with the Johnson Portrait. Someone just dropped $2750 on a PSA 2.5.

Come to think of it, people must be feeling pretty good financially right now. I was very surprised at how high some of the bids went.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:32 PM

Pretty robust Speaker prices recently...certainly also Matty, WaJo, Young too...seems like top tier HOF, especially with rare backs, surging.
Old 09-09-2018, 09:53 PM
Mike Biggans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer View Post
Unearthing this thread. After seeing the PWCC auction results tonight, I'm having to go with the Johnson Portrait. Someone just dropped $2750 on a PSA 2.5.

Come to think of it, people must be feeling pretty good financially right now. I was very surprised at how high some of the bids went.

I got outbid on every single card I bid on tonight with them, figuring to get at least a couple. All were “commons”, with some tougher commons, that a year ago were pulling much less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2018, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer View Post

Yes, that WaJo was pretty crazy considering a very similar PSA 2.5 with the "PQ" PWCC sticker sold for $1678 just last month and some thought that price was nuts.

While not T206, another surprisingly high result for a Cobb card from the era was the SGC 4 E102 Ty Cobb which ended for $17,656. Yowza!

Last edited by CW; 09-09-2018 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:52 AM

I guess the question is... is it wise to get the big name T206 hall of famers (Cobb, Wajo etc) (If you don't have them) now before they go up and up , or will they flatten out? You would think they would cool off.
Old 09-10-2018, 05:55 AM
Brian
Brian Long.ley

Or maybe they had been stuck in a trading range for years and are just starting to break out? I for one never collected pre war up until a couple of years ago... I collected Mickey, Roberto, Willie, etc... I didn't even collect Goudey... but I always knew the history of Cobb, WaJo, Ruth, Wagner, etc...but it's only been recently that I really had the money to buy them and really got into the history of the different cards and players....started making friends with other collectors in prewar...and maybe there are more people like me that are moving these higher and could have the means to do so for years... Maybe we are getting into the prewar HOF bull market?

I'm collecting the prewar HOFs (not just t206, but candy cards, postcards, etc) for the fun of it and not to make money, so if they don't keep moving higher that's ok...but of course there is that feeling of wanting to do well with what I buy!

Last edited by BLongley; 09-10-2018 at 05:56 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:24 AM
P@trick R.omolo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVSNYC View Post
Pretty robust Speaker prices recently...certainly also Matty, WaJo, Young too...seems like top tier HOF, especially with rare backs, surging.
I agree Michael I think % wise Speaker might have went up
more than any of them in the past 6 months- year.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:21 AM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonc View Post
I guess the question is... is it wise to get the big name T206 hall of famers (Cobb, Wajo etc) (If you don't have them) now before they go up and up , or will they flatten out? You would think they would cool off.
I think they will eventually flatten out. Card prices across all sets and years have really gone up because the economy is doing so well.

Plus, why the demand may be high for big name t206 hall of famers right now, so is the supply. Just check the pop reports. There’s a lot out there. Nows a great time to sell, not buy IMO.

That being said, the cards maybe worth picking up now are the ones that are well centered with good registration and color. The supply on those cards are few and far between. But you’ll have to pay a premium.

Last edited by The Nasty Nati; 09-10-2018 at 09:22 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nasty Nati View Post
I think they will eventually flatten out. Card prices across all sets and years have really gone up because the economy is doing so well.

Plus, why the demand may be high for big name t206 hall of famers right now, so is the supply. Just check the pop reports. There’s a lot out there. Nows a great time to sell, not buy IMO.

That being said, the cards maybe worth picking up now are the ones that are well centered with good registration and color. The supply on those cards are few and far between. But you’ll have to pay a premium.

Definitely true.. Good time to sell for the people who bought t206 cobb, wajo.. about 4 or 5 years ago.
Old 09-10-2018, 10:59 AM
Bruce Fairchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
Since we have commented a bit over the past 2 weeks on future t206 price increases how about listing 5 t206's you expect to have the largest percentage price increase using a 2 year time horizon.
Imo (probably not worth much here) everyone is missing the boat. I still say extra nice commons that are graded EX-MT (6) or higher will win overall. Not total dollar amount but more commons will increase near 100% than high dollar cards.
I am already seeing some that sold for around $160 now sell for $400. Please don't ask for specifics, just my opinion.
Old 09-10-2018, 11:24 AM
Brian
Brian Long.ley

Funny how you say now is the time to sell and not buy when you have a Want to Buy post in the t206 B/S/T section

Quote:

Old 09-10-2018, 11:55 AM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLongley View Post
Funny how you say now is the time to sell and not buy when you have a Want to Buy post in the t206 B/S/T section
Touché. Although I find Young and Mathewson portrait are priced about right give or take. But for Cobbs and WaJo fugettaboutit. Prices for a 2 or 1.5 are going for what great eye appeal 3s and 4s were going for just 2 years ago. There’s just too many out there, especially Red Portraits, to justify the price. But then again who knows.

I also believe Speaker is a steal still. HOF RC with only one card in the set.

And while I’m being called out, I’m looking for Keeler, Tinker, Joss portraits...and no I don’t think those players will explode in value. Just love the design

Last edited by The Nasty Nati; 09-10-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 12:09 PM
Brian
Brian Long.ley

Lol! I just thought it was funny to see your two posts

You have valid points indeed, the Cobb reds especially....there are a lot out there so if you're buying one I wouldn't necessarily want a beater if I'm buying as an investment.... but as you said who knows! I just picked up a decent PSA 3 Speaker myself and agree that it's under priced, it may be especially timely to grab a nice Speaker with a rare back.

Quote:
Touché. Although I find Young and Mathewson portrait are priced about right give or take. But for Cobbs and WaJo fugettaboutit. Prices for a 2 or 1.5 are going for what great eye appeal 3s and 4s were going for just 2 years ago. There’s just too many out there, especially Red Portraits, to justify the price. But then again who knows.

I also believe Speaker is a steal still. HOF RC with only one card in the set.

And while I’m being called out, I’m looking for Keeler, Tinker, Joss portraits...and no I don’t think those players will explode in value. Just love the design
Old 09-10-2018, 01:12 PM

Speaker was an iconic player, but not a big fan of the looks of his t206 card. Nice card to have though as its the only pose of him in the set, which was mentioned.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:29 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Seems Mr, Plank has taken off nicely, already in the last few years. Whether he continues that ascent, or not, will be interesting to see. The other picks are fair choices though most have also seen nice increases, overall. I might go with a Cy Young Portrait. I have always enjoyed that card and might own another in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
Since we have commented a bit over the past 2 weeks on future t206 price increases how about listing 5 t206's you expect to have the largest percentage price increase using a 2 year time horizon.

Here are mine:

1. Plank
2. Johnson portrait
3. Lajoie portrait
4. Mathewson portrait
5. Tinker portrait

Bonus pick: Magee Portrait (as always)

Last edited by Leon; 09-14-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:43 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Seems Mr, Plank has taken off nicely, already in the last few years. Whether he continues that ascent, or not, will be interesting to see. The other picks are fair choices though most have also seen nice increases, overall. I might go with a Cy Young Portrait. I have always enjoyed that card and might own another in the future.

I agree Leon. Young portrait is another one of those cards that if you find one centered with nice bold colors and nice focus it really pops.
Old 09-14-2018, 06:12 PM

Dean, like this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4D704B6F-3195-4855-A28C-D958EBD2D966.jpg (6.2 KB, 298 views)
Old 09-14-2018, 10:20 PM

Ryan, nice Young...

Leon, you mean this one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hindu Young.jpg (77.0 KB, 275 views)
File Type: jpg Hindu Young B.jpg (77.1 KB, 276 views)

Last edited by MVSNYC; 09-14-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 11:29 PM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
Dean, like this?
Those are exactly what I mean! Awesome card Ryan.

Michael, that Hindu Young is cwazzy!!!

Here's mine.

Old 09-15-2018, 07:05 AM

Agreed, that Hindu is unreal. Michael, I think I have first right of refusal, no? 😀Dean, yours ain’t so bad either! Great trifecta of Youngs.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
It has really just started moving this year. Before that they were going really cheap in my opinion. I think it will continue to move. It is one of the Big 3 along with the t206 Wagner and 33 Goudey Lajoie.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:08 AM

Thanks Dean. Yours is dead centered!

Ryan, your Young is super sharp! Not sure if it's you or Derek with first dibs...or maybe Leon wants it back?

Last edited by MVSNYC; 09-15-2018 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-15-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
It has really just started moving this year. Before that they were going really cheap in my opinion. I think it will continue to move. It is one of the Big 3 along with the t206 Wagner and 33 Goudey Lajoie.
Mile high has one in its auction that just started. Let’s see where that ends up
Old 09-15-2018, 08:53 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Mile high has one in its auction that just started. Let’s see where that ends up
It's graded SGC 3, which is generous considering that crease.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:11 AM

True, but the crease does not affect the picture, which is very clear and crisp and he centering is solid. It’s a hell of a lot nicer than the PSA 1 that sold in Goldin earlier this year for $50k and hardly as nice as the SGC 3 that sold I Heritage earlier this year for $75k. I think this comes in on the high-middle end of that range.

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 09-16-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
True, but the crease does not affect the picture, which is very clear and crisp and he centering is solid. It’s a hell of a lot nicer than the PSA that sold in Goldin earlier this year for $50k and hardly as nice as the SGC 3 that sold I Heritage earlier this year for $75k. I think this comes in on the high-middle end of that range.
That was a PSA 1 though that sold for 50k. That would have bought a 3 not that long ago.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:58 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

It's a nice example. Should be interesting...

http://www.milehighcardco.com/1909_1...-LOT60277.aspx

Quote:
True, but the crease does not affect the picture, which is very clear and crisp and he centering is solid. It’s a hell of a lot nicer than the PSA 1 that sold in Goldin earlier this year for $50k and hardly as nice as the SGC 3 that sold I Heritage earlier this year for $75k. I think this comes in on the high-middle end of that range.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:32 PM
rob.ert int.rieri

Quote:
It's a nice example. Should be interesting...

http://www.milehighcardco.com/1909_1...-LOT60277.aspx
Im guessing 85k