NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-24-2007, 05:53 PM
Administrator

Default M116s Pastel vs Blue/Regular vs "Over 300"

Posted By: Matt

What is the relationship between these two variations? I have seen it claimed that the blue backgrounds were for the early series cards when they got reprinted in the high series, but I have seen the same claim made about the "Over 300 Subjects" back. There would be no conflict if there was a 1 to 1 correlation between the two, but that is not the case, so what is the real story behind these variations?

Old 12-25-2007, 05:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: scott brockelman

the 300 subjects cards that are not normally found with such backs, are from the later production of the team series that were available after the initial 24 series were distributed. I am not sure how many or which teams were available, the envelopes that they came in vary, some are printed with the team name, others are handstamped, most of the numbers are in the 50 series, but if memory serves me while typing this, I have seen them from the 30's thru 70's so it's quite possible they were issued in many teams and or combinations, as well as much longer than the accepted years of production. As an example their sister offer of W600's which are catalogued as 1902-1911 were offered at least until 1913 in Sporting Life ads, probably as a means of getting rid of excess production.

Old 12-25-2007, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tim Newcomb

I am fairly certain that the blue backgrounds were issued earliest with the series 1-2 cards, and then they decided to switch over to pastels, and went back and issued 1-2 with the pastels. Or perhaps both backgrounds were issued simultaneously in Series 1-2 to see which consumers preferred, and the pastels were the winners. In either case the blue backgrounds and the 300 Subjects backs lie at opposite ends of the issue.

Tim