NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-11-2007, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Default That crackling sound isn't static; it is GAi slabs breaking

Posted By: warshawlaw

How desperate is their situation that they'd stoop to this to raise some quick cash:

http://cgi.ebay.com/100-GRADED-CARD-GLOBAL-GAI-SUBMISSION_W0QQitemZ320070333245QQihZ011QQcategory %20Z660QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'd be cracking out those GAi cards about now; before it goes the way of SCDA.

Old 01-11-2007, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

Can you specify grade ala pro?

Daniel

Old 01-11-2007, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Wow!!! 100 submissions for $6 a piece.... Wow!!! I think I'll look for anything that can be entombed in those nice Walmart packages...

Wow!!! What a bargain!!! Thanks Adam... now I can afford to have all of my cards transferred over to the GAI pop reports! Wow!!! How many "First Graded" labels can I get from the 100 submissions?

Adam, you've done a disservice to all of us by outing this incredible offer. Thanks Adam (mock indignation.....)

Cmonnow, they're one of the number three graders... SGC is 1, PSA is 2 and there are several number 3's (BVG, SCD, GAI, PRO)... oops, did I put PRO in that grouping? Shame on me... Actually, I'd put GAI as number three with SCD and BVG.

What was the final tally on the grading favorite? Wasn't GAI around 1%-2%?

Old 01-11-2007, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Evanov

a. Mildly desperate
b. Moderately desperate
c. Severely desperate

Answer: c

Frank

Old 01-11-2007, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John S

I second the c.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

Perhaps I'm being incredibly dense, but what's the problem with this - other than they're making an effort to not rip off their customers?

Old 01-11-2007, 05:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I spoke with Mike Baker yesterday. He knows they have some work to do to gain back credibility. We'll see....he seems like a good guy and it's interesting to note that he has always been considered one of the top graders in the industry. It just needs to roll down to whomever is doing the actual grading. I also think they have been too lenient on their grades. I think he would agree with my thoughts...I do appreciate them being an advertiser on the board (is that ok to say?)...Speaking of grading companies I called and left a message for Joe Orlando about 3 weeks ago. He never called me back. I wonder why? Kind of hard to run the roost here? I understand the CU boards are heavily monitored/moderated.....best regards

Old 01-11-2007, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

It's a little sad to me really, because I actually have a bit of a soft spot for GAI (not the oversized hi-fi extras wrapping material of course).
Though they clearly over-grade in comparison to SGC and lesser extent PSA, I think they do so in a consistent manner, that is they simply label the condition differently but accurate to their standards.
I sometimes would prefer a card that in all visual respects save a 3mm rub on the back to be the 3.5 - 4.5 they might give it, as opposed to an SGC20. And I think in that way they take in the overall appeal of a card, so that if 97% of the card is awesome, they make allowance for that and not totally penalize it numerically.
At other times I just see a standard which obviously says "come hither all ye less perfect and strikingly flawed, and I shall tell thee how beautiful are the sum of your parts".

Daniel

Old 01-11-2007, 05:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...hockey cards!

Listed in category: Sports Mem, Cards & Fan Shop > Cards > Hockey-NHL > Lots > Other-Mixed

Old 01-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Pretty cheap advertising if you ask me. $6 a card is pretty reasonable but you see similar specials through PSA and SGC< particularly for the heavy volume submissions.

Adam B.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

"Items Encapsulated or authenticated by Global Authentication does not assure liquidity or market acceptance."

That's comforting....

Old 01-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: MikeU

Their economy vintage price is wrong in the auction. I would not call the auction desparation. It is the same price they offer on their website. Just a creative way, at least to try, to drum up some additional submissions.

On the flip side, I am not sure how Steve, Mike and Danny can make now what they did at PSA. All three of them would probably do better working for an auction house or selling cards.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: howard

I'm with Cobby. I don't understand what's wrong with this. Perhaps they are not the best grading company but this seems to make sense as a business move.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

Very creative move by guys you want to see succeed. Mike, Steve and Danny are great guys and Mike has long held a reputation as the best grader in the business.

Don't see $6 per card as a real bargain--more the price that any submitter of reasonable volume could get from any grading company.

Here's hoping their opening of an east coast office goes well.

Good luck guys.

Jim

Old 01-11-2007, 07:18 PM
Administrator

I suppose with that kind of volume you could get favorable grades from most any grading company.

Old 01-11-2007, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

There was an E93 Joss that graded a GAI 2 that sold on ebay earlier today that had a large amount of paper loss on the front. A card like that should never be graded above a 1. And it wasnt like everything else was perfect on the card either. Ive been saying for sometime if you have low grade material you want bumped up a grade or two GAI is your man.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scot Reader

DELETE

Old 01-11-2007, 08:03 PM
Administrator

I, too, hope they succeed. They are, unfortunately, the only grading company who has it together enough to be qualified to grade certain types of cards (e.g. 80's Star Co. basketball).

Old 01-11-2007, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

I think they have been as consistent with the others and I have no problem OTHER THEN....those holders are "butt ugly". It makes all of my cards look like Oakland Raider team sets and I detest the Raiders !

Old 01-11-2007, 09:51 PM
Administrator

They are pretty unattractive. Wonder if they have the same Commitment to Excellence?

Old 01-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Overall, I don't like the GAI "Walmart" packaging they do but I think the little tabs on their standard holders is a great innovation and I wished that all of the grading companies used this same identification scheme.

Old 01-11-2007, 11:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Don't know about cards, but in the sports autograph hobby GAI's COA has a lot of
respect with collectors and dealers. And I see a healthy amount of GAI authenticated autographs
on the market. I don't know the economics of running these types of businesses, but their
autograph division itself would appear to be doing well.

Duly note that I own autographs authenticated by GAI, PSA/DNA, JSA, Tri-Star and UDA, and
consider them all reputable companies-- so, I'm not being a cheer leader.