NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-10-2007, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Default query on a publishing project from Mark Rucker

Posted By: barrysloate

This is Mark Rucker writing. I am visiting Barry Sloate and he thought my question to him might find some answers on this site.
As some of you may know, I run the picture agency Transcendental Graphics, which specializes in historic baseball photos and images. I have been trying for years to get a book in print which traces the simultaneous development of photography and baseball, which both have the ostensible birth year of 1839. Tracing the development of photographic technology together with the game of bb, the book would cover bb imagery from the daguerreotype to the ambrotype, tintype, CdV, stereo view, cabinet card, mounted and larger format photos, then into the 20th C. with the agency photographic prints, into the wire photo era, ending with color photography. The book would be coffee table size, full color, with lush illustrations of the classic images from every decade through bb history, accompanied by a thoroughly researched text. The problem that publishers see is there is too limited a market for the book.
Under consideration is a new model for this project. If a limited edition of 100 copies of this book were produced, signed and numbered, with a price of $250., would the book sell out? My question is, what interest might there be among you. This is a request for feedback, not a solicitation.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

you'd have no problems, given the quality was as you describe. I'd say you might even hit the 200-250 mark and still sell out. Just my opinion........

Old 01-10-2007, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I would most likely purchase it as baseball photographs are a major focus of my collection. I am also a baseball book collector and I would love to own a 1/100 book like that...so count me in as interested.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:51 AM
Administrator

As a little background for those who do not know Mark, prior to the sale of his collction by Bill Mastro in 1995, Mark had the largest and most important pre-1876 baseball collection ever assembled. It was conducted as a single owner sale and created quite a stir at the time. Mark and I have been best of friends for more than twenty years, and when he approached me with this idea, I suggested he pose it to the board. Next to vintage cards, baseball photography comprises much of the discussion here. We both thank you for your feedback.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

i'd buy it!
pete ullman

Old 01-10-2007, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

I would definitly buy it. Please reserve one for me. jacklitsch@comcast.net

Steve Murray

Old 01-10-2007, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Hey if this is the list to reserve I want on as well.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kevin Cummings

I think 100 copies is a very low number. You could probably sell more than that to members of this board alone and a bunch more just by putting it on a rudimentary website or in an ebay store.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Mark, maybe you can contact Paul Muchinsky who put out a coffee table sized book about baseball pinbacks. I believe he self published the book. Not sure how many copies there are of that book, but it was impossible to find on the secondary market so I had to go straight to him to buy one.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Mark

Count me in.

Max

Old 01-10-2007, 09:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

as it will make it more exclusive.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

I am very much your target market.

put me down for one.

..... and if I can help you with the printing / competitive pricing or whatever (have a family printing business), just let me know. If you have that covered - no problem.

Regards,
Joe

Old 01-10-2007, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Dale

As one working with a publisher now about a book I think your idea is a great one and more writers ought to consider it as a means to raising money for their books.

To buy one I'd need to know how is it going to be published, what size, and how many pages etc.

One thing about your price point and such that I would want to know is this merely a first edition or an only edition or what? Once you sell out a 100 copies at $250 a piece are you going to use the money for a second edition and print a 1000 more? Or are you planning to stop at 100 and never plan to print another?

Old 01-10-2007, 09:46 AM
Administrator

I am very encouraged by your responses. I should emphasize again that these are early inquiries to determine the potential this project has.

I already have a talented and experienced designer to work with, all the images available and the knowledge needed for the text. Now the hurdle is to find an investor who would want to finance the printing, or a printer who would be capable of this kind of work, who could participate in the financial side of the project.

The timeline for the project would involve a considerable amount of work. If all financial arrangements could be made for production, it would be a year to 18 months before the book could be ready.

Thanks again for your interest, and keep the comments coming.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I'd definitely be interested, as I collect tintypes and related items.

Let me know what I can do, or how I can help.

Doug

Old 01-10-2007, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Just to clarify - the book would be a single printing limited edition. No more copies after the initial run. The idea is to create an instant rarity of great beauty and historical importance.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bryan Long

Before someone like me could drop $250 for a book I would want to see it. If it is anything like what I have pictured in my head then yes, I would get one. I agree that you could probably sell 100 or so just from members of this board.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Well then I hope when the book is ready for distribution Mark will come back to this thread and give all those who said "aye" a chance to buy the book. 100 is extremely low for this type of book.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Dale

I would most defintely like to get one then. Since you suggested its a 1x publsihing of just 100 books - I'd love to get one. And yes I hope you consider those who said they'd buy (here) a good chance to get one?

Old 01-10-2007, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

I'd absolutely take one

Daniel

Old 01-10-2007, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Trevor Hocking

Hello Mark,

I would buy one no questions asked. Just from the knowleadge you hold in this subject I know the book will be amazing! If there is truly only 100 books being printed please let me know where to send the check to pre-order the book now. I do not want to be left without one. I am very excited to see the final project. Also if there is anything I can do to help please let me know.

Thanks,
Trevor Hocking

Old 01-10-2007, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: bruce dorskind

Count on us for three books

We prefer a very limited (100) exclusive edition.

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List

Old 01-10-2007, 01:15 PM
Administrator

Hi all- Mark is in Manhattan now at a meeting but sometime this evening he will get back on the board and address some questions. This is still a long term project- I can tell you that Mark has an archive of virtually every important baseball photograph known, so he will have no problem making this an encyclopedic effort. But as far as taking pre-issue deposits, I'll let him tackle that one. Regards, Barry

Old 01-10-2007, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David McDonald

Mark,
Sounds to be a terrifically interesting book. I will buy a copy. Trevor said it well: "I do not want to be left without one."

David McDonald

Old 01-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe

Because it's a wonderful concept. And for $250, I'd assume it would be elegantly executed. But what are we trying to do here: create a limited-edition collectible or create a scholarly work for an audience of 100? It's not very educational if only 100 people "learn" from it, no? AND, when it sells out and a decision is made to re-print, you alienate the lucky 100...

Methinks a company like, say, Schiffer, publishes dozens of very high quality books that list at $79.95 or $99.95 that sell way less than the 800-1000 copies this book would probably sell at those price points. Good luck, Mark...I look forward to the book, but for now, at least I've got my copy of "Base Ball Cartes"....

Old 01-10-2007, 01:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

Joe

As one of the (perhaps few) baseball book collectors on net54, I have no concern about Mark subsequently issuing a later printing of a book, even if that is not within his present plans.

Book collectors are funny creatures, in that a first printing of a book (particularly modern firsts in literature) have value far in excess of later printings. For example, a first of Great Gatsby in a [gasp] restored dust jacket is on ebay right now for a PBA Gallery auction with an opening minium of $40,000.

Books such as Busting Em, Pitching in a Pinch and other classics have been reprinted lately by McFarland and others. They have not reduced the value of a nice copy early printing (What they have done is reduced the value of a poor-fair "reading" ie non collectible copy)

Max

(please, no comments on the baseball teddy bear or inquiries as to whether the Matty T205 mug is vintage )

Old 01-10-2007, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Mark, I would buy that. Just purchased a copy of your Base Ball Cartes from 1988 and loved it. Keep us informed of the progress.

-Clint

Old 01-10-2007, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

Mark me down for one!

Edited to say: I'd like to see a scan of the back before I commit to buy though.

Old 01-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judson Hamlin

I'm in. Especially if the publishing date coincides with Christmas or my birthday :>)

Old 01-10-2007, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

Since this is only a request for feedback and not for solicitation I wont try to reserve a copy, but if you are taking reservations - I'd be interested.

Feeback = Good Idea! Get the book published. Just don't forget to take reservations from this website if you are going to severely limit the printing of the book.

Old 01-10-2007, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: martin dalziel

Sounds like it would be an excellent venture and i'd be very much interested in a copy. Maybe I could clear out my herd of old auction catalogs (not really, but my wife would like that).

Old 01-10-2007, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

I think its a good idea too but ill just borrow Kevin's book instead of buying my own

Old 01-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Administrator

This has been a very interesting day for me (us?).

After reviewing responses from this site I met with my agent, discussed the publishing project, and based on the expressed interest we are going to proceed with the idea.

I will certainly keep your group informed as to our progress, and give all of you the first opportunity to reserve a book when the time comes. I may even be able to get an early copy to Barry so that he could offer a review and info to share. I think we will probably develop a website of images and descriptions when all is prepared.

In addition, I would very much like to include some of your special images in the book, to accompany those already gathered. Needless to say, full credit would be given, included with all pertinent material related to the image(s).

I will be heading back to snowy Colorado shortly. Thank you much for your reflections and assistance here, and if any of you would like to communicate with me, my email address is tgraphic@earthlink.net.

Best regards,
Mark Rucker

Old 01-10-2007, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

A limited edition book signed by the illustrious author might be considered
a fair investment by the purchaser. 100 printed would be considered rare by most
book collectors.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ricky Y

I'd buy one for sure. I loved Mark and Lawrence Ritter's book on the Babe..a life in pictures.

Ricky

Old 01-11-2007, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

Mark -

From my collection, the only images that might stand out as unique from a baseball and photographic standpoint are the eleven Kearsarge baseball player cabinet photos. They are from 1869 which would place them as some of the earliest baseball cabinets. I'm sure you've seen them but you are welcome to use them if interested. The only other possibility from the unique standpoint is the 1886/1887 Habana BBC team image (that, I believe, used to be in your collection). Not photographically important but obviously very early from the Cuban baseball standpoint (but probably outside of your emphasis in this book). Just let me know.

Regards,
Rob Morgan

Old 01-11-2007, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Bill K@sel

Put me down for one! It would look great next to my coffee table book on coffee tables.

Bill

My personal collection - http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f176/fkm_bky/

Old 01-11-2007, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Bill- you are going to find this funny, but Mark told me there is a coffee table book out on stereoviews that has a stereoviewer built right into the book! Same as Kramer's book having legs that fold out into a coffee table. True story!

Old 01-11-2007, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

I sent an email to you with regard to this project.

(in case you do not receive it - email me).

Old 01-11-2007, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloateb

Thanks Joe, got it and responded. Mark is gone now and will be back home in Boulder tomorrow. Either he or I will keep the board apprised of the project as it progresses, but it is his project entirely.