NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-10-2007, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Default B 18 Blankets, yes or no

Posted By: David Smith

Hello all.

Thinking about the board, I haven't seen much written about B 18 blankets. I was just wondering what people thought of them?

I mean, do you collect them? Are you interested in them? Do they not get written about because they are made of cloth instead of cardboard?

I have 75 different of the 190 or so total in the set. Unfortunately, I do not have any red infield versions and my Joe Jackson is sewn into a pillow top.

I know the old time collector I used to know didn't much care for them because they are cloth instead of cardboard and they don't really have the likeness of the player. He also didn't like the felt pennants from the 1930's. The BF 2's he could appreciate because they at least had a black and white photo of the player attached to them.

So, any thoughts???

David

Old 01-10-2007, 11:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: James Gallo

They don't seem to sell for a ton and most are available in decent shape. I plan to pick up a Jackson at some point but it isn't high on my list.

I think the reasons you already stated are the reasons why you don't hear a lot about them.

They are almost more attractive when made into a larger pillow or quilt.

Not the best looking either so not high on people's want list. I would say they are similar to strip cards in many regards.

James G

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Smith

Funny you should mention strip cards. The old time collector I once knew, he wasn't to thrilled with strip cards either.

It's funny, B18 blankets would seem to be much harder to fake than cards and go for about 1/10th the price of their contemporary card counterparts. I mean a nice B18 Joe Jackson can be had for probably $400-500 dollars whereas a 1914 Cracker Jack Joe Jackson is $4 or 5 thousand dollars. Oh well, just my thoughts.

Thanks for your opinion,

David

Old 01-11-2007, 12:07 AM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Did you see the new uncataloged variation? It was on eBay last week. I dont actively collect the B18s anymore, but I do know a little about them.

Detroit players are not found with this color combination (only Pittsburgh).

Old 01-11-2007, 05:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

but I couldn't see myself looking to go for too many of them... just spot players.

You mention the BF 2s, which I am not too fond of....

but if you want to know hands-down the nicest non-cardboard issue.....

its the S81 imo.

Old 01-11-2007, 06:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: cn

I always found the blankets to be attractive. I have about half the set completed and when I have the time I hopefully will finish the set. CN

Old 01-11-2007, 07:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Ray Piskadlo

My only one...

Can't find Chapman in many sets.

Old 01-11-2007, 08:06 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dstudeba

Thanks for the info Frank. I probably saw that one as I was looking at them last week, but don't know enough about the issue unfortunately to have noticed.