NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-10-2007, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Default N28 Baseballers

Posted By: Anonymous

I picked up a beat up N28 Ward in an auction, along with other cards and was wondering two things:

a. if I was to sell it, what would I be asking for it. (to say the condition is poor would be an understatement - the card is complete, that is not missing chunks, but is looks like it has been run over by a truck, before being placed in a washing machine and hung out to dry.)

b. If I was to start collecting the rest of the series to go with the boxers I already have, what sort of prices would I be looking at for the baseballers in the lower conditions (ie PSA 1,2,3) and are they readily available. The ones I have seen on ebay in the past have been in the mid conditions (ie PSA 4,5,6), and I woulnd't want to spend that much on these cards. Ovbiously the wrestlers and other sportsmen of this set are available at reasonable prices for carsd in good condition.

Thanks.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Default N28 Baseballers

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Can you post a scan here?

Old 01-10-2007, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Default N28 Baseballers

Posted By: Zach Rice

Here is a link to the card in question, I had the lot on my watchlist. Upon further investigation, the card doesn't appear to be authentic. The name on the front looks too bold and the wording directly below it appears to be the wrong color blue. The picture isn't the greatest, though and the coloring inconsistencies when compared with other N28s could be a result of that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290067959975&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:12

Old 01-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Default N28 Baseballers

Posted By: Frank Evanov

I agree with Zach. Here's a real one, followed by the EBAY item:

Frank

Old 01-10-2007, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Default N28 Baseballers

Not that I would care if it was authentic or not, as I wanted the boxing card, it seems in pretty strange shape for a card that was fake.

When I get the card I'll scan it properly so the colours,etc can be looked at.

Old 01-10-2007, 06:52 PM
Administrator

Default N28 Baseballers

Posted By: daryle

I too agree with Zach in his observations. Card doesn't look right. Too bad I don't have my set handy to compare.

Old 01-10-2007, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Default N28 Baseballers

So can anyone answer Part B of my question please

Old 01-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Default N28 Baseballers

Posted By: daryle

as I finished my set in 1999 and haven't really paid much attention to prices since then. There are a few non-baseballers that bring a little more (or atleast they did when I put my set together). The ones I remember were Cody (of course), Oakley, Sullivan, Dempsey and Schafer (billiards). The Schaefer wasn't too much but he is known. He won like 6 or 7 straight billiards championships in the late 1870s thru the mid 1880s (he is also mentioned in the series of books on the Old West ("Time Life; The Old West", in the book called "The Gunsfighters" or "The Gunslingers"(???whichever it was titled???).

Old 01-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Default N28 Baseballers

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

I agree with Zach regarding the possibility that the Ward is not authentic (probably a reprint) but that's ok with you.

Not that I would care if it was authentic or not, as I wanted the boxing card, it seems in pretty strange shape for a card that was fake.

Some people will go through a lot of hassle to make a card look old or original. The main motive is not to make the card look authentic because it would look cool that way, but to make it look old so that someone would think it was real and then that person would pay good money for something that was worthless. It's common place on ebay. This particular seller may not realize it's a possible reprint because this person could have purchased it thinking it was real. Now to part B:

If I was to start collecting the rest of the series to go with the boxers I already have, what sort of prices would I be looking at for the baseballers in the lower conditions (ie PSA 1,2,3) and are they readily available. The ones I have seen on ebay in the past have been in the mid conditions (ie PSA 4,5,6), and I woulnd't want to spend that much on these cards. Ovbiously the wrestlers and other sportsmen of this set are available at reasonable prices for carsd in good condition.

You will pay over a couple thousand for the entire N28 baseball players in g-vg condition.

If you were going to collect the Kimballs there are fewer baseball players but you'd pay through the nose for the four players. Maybe not as much as for all of the N28 baseball players but it wouldn't be cheap (relatively speaking - for someone on a limited budget).

Old 01-10-2007, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Default N28 Baseballers

Yeah I'd probably avoid the Kimball's set, as it's a lot more expensive overall.

The reason the N28 is appealing is that it is a colorful and interesting set. My main problem is that I have no issues
with spending hundreds of dollars on a boxing card, but I wouldn't want to top a couple of hundred for a non boxing card (even if it is a good investment . Luckily with boxing
I rarely would need to spend thousands on rare cards like some of you guys do collecting baseball.

Most of my cards are in nice shape (my boxing N28's are in excellent condition), but I needed this Kimball's card as I aim to collect one boxing card from every set released, and I can now tick off my Kimballs (with company name variation) box..

The N28 Ward card was a "bonus", and if it's a fake I guess I can use it as a filler for now

I was also originally thinking of selling it to another bidder who missed out on the auction but expressed interest in the card. I guess I should wait until I get the card, then I can compare it to my other N28's and post a scanned image here for all to see.
The last thing I want to do is sell a reprint card no matter it's condition.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Default N28 Baseballers

Posted By: James Gallo

If the Ginter is fake is it really that out of left field that the boxing card will also be fake??

I mean I rarely even see two cards this old in one lot that aren't reprints.

I really have no idea beyond the pictures posted. From those the Ginter looks fake to me as well.

James Gallo

Looking for 1915 Cracker Jacks and 1909-11 American Caramel E90-1.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Default N28 Baseballers

I am doubting that the Kimball's card is a fake, but I guess I'll soon find out.

As for the two old cards in one lot, I don't think it's that unsual - obviously auction houses do it often.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Default N28 Baseballers

Posted By: Dylan

I think he meant that when one card is fake in a lot, it most often means the other is too.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:54 AM
Administrator

Default N28 Baseballers

Posted By: fkw

here is a scan of a low grade one.

The problem with the card in the auction is the caption is too bold (dark) and the colors are too bright compared to the background.

The N184 card looks good but like others said is highly unlikely to find a card from the 1980s with one from the 1880s. But you never know?

Old 01-11-2007, 04:24 AM
Administrator

Default N28 Baseballers

From all accounts, the N28 is certainly looking like a fake. The only reason I can think that these two cards are together (ie one from the 1880's and one from 1980's) is that the seller doesn't know it's a fake, and just put two crappy condition cards together (I am still assuming the Kimball's is legit).

I will update everyone once I get the cards.