NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-27-2018, 10:21 PM

Default SGC mistake :-(

I purchased t206 Ty Cobb red graded authentic the card is absolutely amazing but looks like a miss cut and not trimmed. I made the mistake of not taking it out and getting it regraded so I sold it fairly cheap because I've always trusted SGC s process. The new buyer cracked it open sent it back in and it came back with a 4.5 grade. I'm not a professional grader but I had a gut feeling and I blew it. Check it out

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Last edited by Solemany2k; 05-29-2018 at 01:57 PM.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solemany2k View Post
I purchased t206 Ty Cobb red grated authentic the card is absolutely amazing but looks like a missed cut and not trimmed. I made the mistake of not taking it out and getting it regraded so I sold it fairly cheap because I've always trusted SGC s process. The new buyer cracked it open send it back in and it came back with a 4.5 grade and I am sick over it. I'm not a professional greater but I had a gut feeling and I blew it. Check it out

Sorry for all the typos I used voice text in the dark and I guess I should have checked it LOL

Old 05-27-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Sorry for all the typos I used voice text in the dark and I guess I should have checked it LOL

The lesson learned is sometimes your gut feeling is what you should go with. The buyer went with his gut and came out way ahead.

Old 05-28-2018, 05:33 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That is grading in a nutshell. They are human and this is going to happen to all of them. I have heard of collectors buying things to crack and resubmit, as their job.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:38 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Grading is completely a rigged game and it amazes me that few people realize or care.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:49 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Sorry to hear that buddy. Hopefully you're not out any real money and the loss is only the what could have been, which still sucks but can be chalked up to a learning experience. If you collect long enough things like this are going to happen but keep at it you'll likely win one too
Old 05-28-2018, 07:16 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
Sorry to hear that buddy. Hopefully you're not out any real money and the loss is only the what could have been, which still sucks but can be chalked up to a learning experience. If you collect long enough things like this are going to happen but keep at it you'll likely win one too
Agreed....."A" cards are akin to buying a lottery ticket.
Old 05-28-2018, 07:22 AM

If a grading company can't tell if a card is trimmed or not, that is very concerning. What are you paying them for?
Old 05-28-2018, 07:23 AM
pete ullman

Unfortunately mistakes do occur. Similar thing happened to me with a high grade e106 I sent in to SGC...came back A...I sold it...they resent...came back like a 6 I think. I was pissed. Life goes on.

Sadly with many buying only slabbed cards there's no way one can become versed at detecting alterations when a card is in a slab!
Old 05-28-2018, 07:24 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
If a grading company can't tell if a card is trimmed or not, that is very concerning. What are you paying them for?
what do they know/see that you/I can't/don't?
Old 05-28-2018, 07:49 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
Grading is completely a rigged game and it amazes me that few people realize or care.
+1
Old 05-28-2018, 08:03 AM
Jason Wells

That sucks. I had a similar yet less costly lesson when I first got back into Vintage. Lately its been the other way around with trying to cross higher grade cards and them coming back as A.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:08 AM
Peter Spaeth

From what I know there are countless cards that pass through various grades, ncluding A, before ending up in their final and best holders. It doesn't mean things are rigged, it means they are very imperfect.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:23 AM
Dan Bretta

Who's to say they didn't get it wrong the second time? Doesn't matter though, once it gets a grade it ain't ever coming out of that holder.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:47 AM
Barry Sloate

Grading is very subjective and as Peter said very imperfect.

Yet grading companies all use a numerical system that gives the illusion of great accuracy. It's supposed to make us believe that TPG's are capable of assessing a card's grade with incredible precision and consistency. Of course, they can't.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
what do they know/see that you/I can't/don't?
If we are paying them for a service, they should be able to do it. A card is either trimmed or not. If they can't determine that, then they are worthless. Putting a number grade on a card is an opinion. It is understandable that one guy might say a card is a 7 and another an 8. Hopefully they have multiple experienced graders putting that number on high dollar cards. With the dollars people are paying for graded cards, there needs to be a minimum level of competence from the grading companies.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:26 AM
Tony. Biviano

The buyer of the card had nothing to loose since it was an A already. I would do the same. Unfortunately when I did it, it came back as an A. LOL
Old 05-28-2018, 10:21 AM
Garth Guibord

Quote:
Putting a number grade on a card is an opinion.
This is it. They should be referred to as Third Party Opinions (TPOs), not TPGs. "Grade" has a connotation that it is non-negotiable, and while the graders are using a set of criteria to determine a grade, there is enough subjective opinion involved that it makes grading cards very negotiable.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:52 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
If we are paying them for a service, they should be able to do it. A card is either trimmed or not. If they can't determine that, then they are worthless. Putting a number grade on a card is an opinion. It is understandable that one guy might say a card is a 7 and another an 8. Hopefully they have multiple experienced graders putting that number on high dollar cards. With the dollars people are paying for graded cards, there needs to be a minimum level of competence from the grading companies.
Agreed 100%.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:18 AM
Robert D. Hysell

Wouldn't it be crap, if we were to find they hire Collage kids with no back ground ? All they have is a chart & scale and text to go by ?
Old 05-28-2018, 11:23 AM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Default This Happens A lot

BEFORE

AFTER
Old 05-28-2018, 11:30 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysell View Post
Wouldn't it be crap, if we were to find they hire Collage kids with no back ground ? All they have is a chart & scale and text to go by ?
This is the genius of PSA. Other than the top couple of guys, we have no idea of who grades the cards or what their qualifications are, but it makes no difference.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-28-2018, 11:37 AM
Robert Williams

Look how the Wallace flairs out on the bottom left....I think the altered was right to begin with, and now it resides in a numbered holder.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:30 PM
Mike Biggans

Quote:

Bingo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-28-2018, 12:51 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

rats60: "If a grading company can't tell if a card is trimmed or not, that is very concerning. What are you paying them for?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggsdaddycool View Post
Bingo.

I agree with this sentiment. Stuff like this sucks a little more fun out of the hobby and simply steers it down the road of cards being labeled as commodities and not much more. Very sad...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 05-28-2018 at 12:52 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 01:19 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
+1

when their motto is it's only a opinion they can not be held accountable.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:18 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by hysell View Post
What makes you think that is not what is happening?

The TPG's grading specifications appear to be a collage of subjective views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
+1

when their motto is it's only a opinion they can not be held accountable.
I know plenty of people who freely share their opinions, and they're idiots.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:38 PM

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that Wallace - it's a beautiful card. Again, buy the card, not the holder.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:55 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

The TPG's should put out expansive and unedited (except for time) videos of vintage cards going through the actual grading process, so all of us collectors can finally get some legitimate insight as to what is going on there. Make them randomly selected submissions meandering step by step through the entire operation, showing EXACTLY what is going on behind the scenes. Yes, of course, there is plenty of room for the companies to put the best light on their workings, but hell yeah would it be a big step in the right direction.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 05-28-2018, 02:58 PM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
There's absolutely nothing wrong with that Wallace - it's a beautiful card. Again, buy the card, not the holder.
Look at the left side how it flairs out at the bottom, and tell me again, objectively, there is nothing wrong with that card.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:10 PM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
Look at the left side how it flairs out at the bottom, and tell me again, objectively, there is nothing wrong with that card.
The card is probably not flat in the holder...
Old 05-28-2018, 03:17 PM
Greg B.
Greg Bish.op

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
The TPG's should put out expansive and unedited (except for time) videos of vintage cards going through the actual grading process, so all of us collectors can finally get some legitimate insight as to what is going on there. Make them randomly selected submissions meandering step by step through the entire operation, showing EXACTLY what is going on behind the scenes. Yes, of course, there is plenty of room for the companies to put the best light on their workings, but hell yeah would it be a big step in the right direction.
There's a really good chance that when a company is very busy your cards don't get a full look. If they are allowed to just give out an A or N5 because its "an opinion", then I'm sure many cards that need to be looked at closely (hard ones, like vintage ) are just given the N5 to save time and move on to the next batch knowing that the customers will likely resubmit anyway. Ask anyone who has sent in 100 T206's what their results are like.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
I do believe Your statement is correct!

So I'd Like ta look abit inta this issue with this particular Card of Mr Cobb.
I'm fairly familiar wit E90-1's, I've seen my share & have been bringing them to my home fir quite sum time now!

Well, first off I noticed the High Top Left & Low Bottom Left White Borders of Mr. Cobbs Card Being The Same Height. This is just a check that my mind has become accustomed ta makin! Doesn't mean the Card is "Trimmed", Howevar this is a Very Good Tell Tale Only because this particular Cut isn't as Common among the E90-1 Set But Certainly Not the Whole Truth to the Cards Health.

Usually if the Top Left width has more White Border the Lower Left has less, and it's of Course the Same fir the Right side of the Card Top to Bottom.

I had many conversations about this same issue wit this Set. Just Because a Card has been Factory Cut Odd, Perfect or just down right Freakish, Doesn't necessarily mean it's JUST "Authentic"... If You Can't get inta the the Holder is another Reason Some Cards Lose Value! No Grade, No Holder Leaves the Customer weary wit of possible foul play.

I understand where the OP is Coming from! I've a few Stories that have Only made me be more Diligent wit my Prewar Education...
"At Sum Point, GettiN Spank'd is Part of Any Real Education"

So Congratulations!!!
You've Punch'd a Very Real Ticket in Your PreWar Education...
I'll wager this Doesn't Evar Happen Again iN the OP's World!!!
(This is All Tongue in Cheek Kinda Stuff ~ Please Don't Evar Take What I Have ta Say wit Any Kind of Intellect ~ I Love bein a Mullagan : )

Here's a few Cards that will show a bit of what I mention'd!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3_Trimmed_E90-1s.jpg (77.6 KB, 397 views)
File Type: jpg E90-1 Walsh_F.jpg (66.8 KB, 399 views)
Old 05-28-2018, 03:57 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

I can't believe someone is actually bad mouthing SGC on this forum.....Refreshing and scarce...

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 05-28-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:12 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
Unfortunately mistakes do occur. Similar thing happened to me with a high grade e106 I sent in to SGC...came back A...I sold it...they resent...came back like a 6 I think. I was pissed. Life goes on.

Sadly with many buying only slabbed cards there's no way one can become versed at detecting alterations when a card is in a slab!
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.....And you still love SGC right Pete? I know sending it to PSA was not an option even though there's potential double or triple resale value....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 05-28-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:43 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.....And you still love SGC right Pete? I know sending it to PSA was not an option even though there's potential double or triple resale value....
Interesting considering it was just pointed out that PSA made the exact same error on the Wallace.

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 05-28-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:56 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
Interesting considering it was just pointed out that PSA made the exact same error on the Wallace.
Not at all Dan, PSA is human as well, absolutely. What I get sick and tired of is hearing about how great SGC is on this forum, how corrupt PSA is, and most of the SGC supporters say, "I love the SGC holders (really?), they are more consistant than PSA, and I dont care about resale value, just the card... Really? How much sense does that make? What percentage of members on this board value their money? Answer....100%.

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 05-28-2018 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-28-2018, 04:58 PM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

I may be wrong but couldn't you at one time have had a card slabbed as authentic only without paying extra for the numerical grade? This may be a case where original slabber did that to save a few bucks and just protect the card...
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:02 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

You still have the ability to declare "slab as authentic" even if it makes a number grade, but I don't think the submitters of these cards would have done that. These are not cards to be ashamed of and label as authentic instead of giving a number.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:48 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuinness View Post
This is it. They should be referred to as Third Party Opinions (TPOs), not TPGs. "Grade" has a connotation that it is non-negotiable, and while the graders are using a set of criteria to determine a grade, there is enough subjective opinion involved that it makes grading cards very negotiable.
100% agree Garth :-)
Old 05-28-2018, 06:15 PM
Joshua Van Pelt

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
You still have the ability to declare "slab as authentic" even if it makes a number grade, but I don't think the submitters of these cards would have done that. These are not cards to be ashamed of and label as authentic instead of giving a number.

You’d be surprised how different people view lower grades versus a nice looking slabbed authentic card. It would be interesting to know from the flip if it was assigned a A or the A was chosen by the submitter.

I have purchased a few PSA A cards that were purposely slabbed without a numeric grade. I have resubmitted 3 and all 3 received a numeric grade (although they were lower grade Venezuela Topps).

Old 05-29-2018, 06:23 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Many times lower grade cards aren't slabbed as they bring more money raw..
..in hopes of high(er) grades that they really aren't .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thecafewha View Post
You’d be surprised how different people view lower grades versus a nice looking slabbed authentic card. It would be interesting to know from the flip if it was assigned a A or the A was chosen by the submitter.

I have purchased a few PSA A cards that were purposely slabbed without a numeric grade. I have resubmitted 3 and all 3 received a numeric grade (although they were lower grade Venezuela Topps).

Last edited by Leon; 05-29-2018 at 06:24 AM.
Old 05-29-2018, 02:15 PM

Would you give this a 3.5 ?

Old 05-29-2018, 03:58 PM
DR
David R@tliff

Quote:
Probably not - I think that's a generous grade on that Cobb.

Visible corner crease, four well rounded corners - but the centering and color are good.

I doubt if re-subbed this comes back a 3.5
Old 05-29-2018, 07:02 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Who else belives the grade depends on whom submits the card??

I'm a firm believer in this.

Last edited by Johnny630; 05-29-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:09 AM
Ben North

Quote:

I believe you need your complete name to give that opinion.

I agree though, In my honest opinion it does make a difference who the submitter is.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:34 AM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Quote:

There are a lot of older graded cards that would not get the same grade today due to PSA's tighter standards. I have a couple in my collection as I'm sure most of us do.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:37 PM
Garth Guibord

Quote:

I think there is some logic to this, as most any business tries to please their most loyal clients.

However, I also think that maybe there is an inherent bias in the subject group: the people who are more likely to get preferential treatment are people who submit more and the people who submit more are more likely to be industry professionals, the very people who likely have a discerning eye when it comes to spotting cards that will grade well.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:01 PM
Johnny MaZilli

You give them more credit them me Garth :-)
Old 05-30-2018, 07:11 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:

Johnny, I don't think your thinking is out of line at all.....