NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-09-2018, 05:32 PM
Dave_Berg

No I'm not debunking any myths. I'm just going by what pieces of the puzzle I've seen or read. No, I don't consider 13 metropolitan cities a nationwide distribution. Actually, I consider that small. My family and extended family is from KC ( as am I) and know one has heard of Bond Bread. That's neither here nor there, and my view is just an opinion which may be an incompletely educated one. My calling the set a " glorified regional" set was obviously a little over the top... which was my intent. I'm always ready to learn all I can in this hobby. Could you
tell me what myth I cited? Do you know the regions the portrait card was distributed? I thought it was only a very small distribution ( Brooklyn, Harlem and other NY areas)?
Old 05-09-2018, 05:32 PM
Richard L.

Hmmm.... sounds like this could be an interesting poll question?
Old 05-09-2018, 05:51 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepony View Post
No I'm not debunking any myths. I'm just going by what pieces of the puzzle I've seen or read. No, I don't consider 13 metropolitan cities a nationwide distribution. Actually, I consider that small. My family and extended family is from KC ( as am I) and know one has heard of Bond Bread. That's neither here nor there, and my view is just an opinion which may be an incompletely educated one. My calling the set a " glorified regional" set was obviously a little over the top... which was my intent. I'm always ready to learn all I can in this hobby. Could you
tell me what myth I cited? Do you know the regions the portrait card was distributed? I thought it was only a very small distribution ( Brooklyn, Harlem and other NY areas)?
Dave, I would suggest reading this thread.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=171169
Old 05-09-2018, 06:25 PM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
Dave, I would suggest reading this thread.

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=171169
I remember that thread and reread it. The photos are no longer posted.
Although I applaud the research and photo dating... the thread doesn't bring me any closer to knowing where the cards were distributed... and for that matter exactly when. The window is certainly proven and precedes the 1948 leaf and Bowman issues almost certainly. The portrait card is described as a " promo card" by the researchers. There's a lot of " we believe", " may have been",
" we speculate " language in there. I'll never consider a promo card a true rookie card and for me the area of distribution is way to small. I'm standing by my opinion.. but great stuff!!! i just love the 49 Bowman too much to budge

Last edited by Stonepony; 05-09-2018 at 06:26 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:26 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anish View Post
Might I ask what examples there are other than those two? An iconic set can make a later issue more valuable, but that’s certainly the exception and 1948 Leaf is no T206 or 52 Topps.

I expect the BB Portrait to become the top Jackie card. It’s relative scarcity and attractiveness appeal to me in addition to it being Jackie’s RC.
I differ with you there; the Leaf set is iconic. Though I would love for you to be right since I don't own a Leaf JR but have the BB portrait.

As for later cards worth more than a RC:

1951 Topps Current All Stars Roberts vs. 1949 Bowman Roberts

Test issue doesn't work? OK:

1941 Double Play Reese vs. 1953 Bowman: $775 PSA 8 vs. $1300 PSA 8
1941 Double Play Rizzuto vs. 1948 Leaf: $1,000 PSA 8 vs. $1100 PSA 8
1947 Top Top Bread Yogi Berra PSA 8 $1250 vs. 1948 Bowman PSA 8 $3,000

I am sure I could pot-shot examples out of the SMR all day long.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-09-2018, 06:30 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Dave,

I respect your opinion, but you are wrong on the distribution of the promo card being limited to Harlem and Brooklyn NYC.

The portrait has already passed the 49 Bowman in terms of price.

Newly surfaced photos now indicate that the 6 cards distributed in early 1948 all feature images from the game before opening day. Will update my original thread when possible. I do not want to out an auction for those bidding.

Currently seeking Jackie Robinson cards
Old 05-09-2018, 06:36 PM
Shaun Fyffe

I also have first and second hand accounts from those who obtained the cards or family members. The we believes were early in my research. I used that term because I wanted to make sure I had confirmation before stating definitively. I am much further along in my research, and can say that this set's distribution spans far wider than NYC. I say that with 100% certainty.

Regarding the Leaf issue, I do believe that it is an iconic set, and I am proud to own both the Leaf card, as well as the entire BB set.

Old 05-09-2018, 06:45 PM
Dave_Berg

Hey Shaun,
I'm not challenging that the Bond set predates the Leaf and Bowman. Nor am I challenging it's popularity, status or value. It's a great card. However from my perspective, I don't consider an issue that was limited to less that 15 large Metroplitan areas a candidate for his true rookie card. Earliest card, ok.
Everyone else may disagree
I would like to see the evidence that the portrait was widely distributed. That's interesting.
PS- is everyone ready to get on board with the 54 Johnston cookies Aaron unseating the Topps issue as his true rookie?
Old 05-09-2018, 07:01 PM
Shaun Fyffe

Quote:
Hey Shaun,
I'm not challenging that the Bond set predates the Leaf and Bowman. Nor am I challenging it's popularity, status or value. It's a great card. However from my perspective, I don't consider an issue that was limited to less that 15 large Metroplitan areas a candidate for his true rookie card. Earliest card, ok.
I would like to see the evidence that the portrait was widely distributed. That's interesting.
PS- is everyone ready to get on board with the 54 Johnston cookies Aaron unseating the Topps issue as his true rookie?
Understandable, and you are entitled to your own beliefs. I respect that. I can't answer the Aaron question, as I do not know enough about the set.

Old 05-09-2018, 07:11 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Hey Shaun,
No, because the Johnston Cookies is a straight-up, undeniable, regional issue and his Topps RC was produced the same year...rather than a year and a half later. Not sure why you'd use the term un-seat either? They're both 1954 issues.

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 05-09-2018 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:11 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy3050 View Post
I have both , I don't really care about which one is his rookie card , I would take his leaf card any day over his Bonds Bread , His leaf has and will always be an iconic Baseball Card , and one that I always wanted since I started collecting many years ago.
I don't have either card, so I don't any financial stake in one or the other. But I don't see the Bond Bread portrait supplanting the Leaf card as the Robinson card to have. The Leaf card is such an iconic image, the image that many people think of when they think of a Jackie Robinson card.

I think the fact that the Bond Bread card is black and white and the Leaf is in color hurts the Bond Bread card as well. Obviously, there are many black and white cards in the hobby that are worth huge money, but I do think it limits the chance of the card becoming the iconic Robinson card to own when there are color options issued so closely to the Bond Bread card.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:45 PM
Ani.sh Kan.abar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post
I differ with you there; the Leaf set is iconic. Though I would love for you to be right since I don't own a Leaf JR but have the BB portrait.

As for later cards worth more than a RC:

1951 Topps Current All Stars Roberts vs. 1949 Bowman Roberts

Test issue doesn't work? OK:

1941 Double Play Reese vs. 1953 Bowman: $775 PSA 8 vs. $1300 PSA 8
1941 Double Play Rizzuto vs. 1948 Leaf: $1,000 PSA 8 vs. $1100 PSA 8
1947 Top Top Bread Yogi Berra PSA 8 $1250 vs. 1948 Bowman PSA 8 $3,000

I am sure I could pot-shot examples out of the SMR all day long.
The Berra example is probably the most comparable. However, SMR doesn't mean anything. It would be great to see recent sales of the cards in the same condition (perhaps you have).
Old 05-09-2018, 07:54 PM
Ani.sh Kan.abar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I don't have either card, so I don't any financial stake in one or the other. But I don't see the Bond Bread portrait supplanting the Leaf card as the Robinson card to have. The Leaf card is such an iconic image, the image that many people think of when they think of a Jackie Robinson card.

I think the fact that the Bond Bread card is black and white and the Leaf is in color hurts the Bond Bread card as well. Obviously, there are many black and white cards in the hobby that are worth huge money, but I do think it limits the chance of the card becoming the iconic Robinson card to own when there are color options issued so closely to the Bond Bread card.
The scarcity of the BB makes it more appealing to me and, I imagine, others. The Leaf is available in various conditions quite readily whereas the BB is not.

I myself thought of the Leaf as the *the* Jackie card until I read about the BB. It came out earlier, is harder to find, and IMO looks as nice if not nicer. That makes it the best card to me.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:06 PM
Eddie S.
Eddie Smi.th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anish View Post
The scarcity of the BB makes it more appealing to me and, I imagine, others. The Leaf is available in various conditions quite readily whereas the BB is not.

I myself thought of the Leaf as the *the* Jackie card until I read about the BB. It came out earlier, is harder to find, and IMO looks as nice if not nicer. That makes it the best card to me.
I get the scarcity factor. I love the rare and obscure myself (not saying the Bond Bread is rare or obscure).

There are numerous Mickey Mantle cards that are scarce or obscure, yet they are not the 1952 Topps. The Robinson Leaf card will always be iconic, even though it is not a rare card by any stretch of the imagination.

I still think being black and white hurts the Bond Bread card.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:23 PM
R0b Sm!th

Quote:
The window is certainly proven and precedes the 1948 leaf and Bowman issues almost certainly.
Hasn’t it been accepted that the Leaf card was made in 1949?
Old 05-09-2018, 08:28 PM
K3v1n Stru55

It is probably not a fair comparison, but it was not that long ago that Ruth's 1933 Goudey cards were worth more than his M101-5/4 cards.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:29 PM
Ani.sh Kan.abar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored5000 View Post
I get the scarcity factor. I love the rare and obscure myself (not saying the Bond Bread is rare or obscure).

There are numerous Mickey Mantle cards that are scarce or obscure, yet they are not the 1952 Topps. The Robinson Leaf card will always be iconic, even though it is not a rare card by any stretch of the imagination.

I still think being black and white hurts the Bond Bread card.
Sure, but they don’t predate the 52 Topps either. I can understand why someone would pay more for a 52T Mantle than a 51 Bowman or anything else...it’s the key card in the first ever Topps set. But for 48 Leaf? Jackie’s not even the biggest RC (Paige) and Leaf didn’t have the greatest run. I do like the Robinson Leaf aesthetically, but I’ll take a card that came out nearly two years earlier and is much harder to find every time.

I think an interesting comparison is with the Jordan 84 Star and 86 Fleer. The latter is certainly iconic (even more so than the 48 Leaf Jackie) but sells for less in the same condition than the 84 Star. Scarcity carries the day in that case.

I wouldn’t be surprised if people preferred the look of the Leaf. I’m probably in the minority in preferring black and white cards as black and white screams vintage to me.

As a hockey and soccer collector who is really only interested in Jackie as far as baseball goes, I’d hope to see the BB remain affordable. But I don’t expect it to.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:52 PM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsmithnocure View Post
Hasn’t it been accepted that the Leaf card was made in 1949?
Correct
Old 05-10-2018, 10:27 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

So who wants to trade my JR bread card for a JR Leaf?

Or not...
Old 05-10-2018, 11:19 AM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:

I have a JR Leaf in SGC 55, so that won't work. Are you interested in selling the BB
Old 05-10-2018, 11:34 AM
Shaun Fyffe

Likely depends on the collector. If it were a PSA1 for a PSA/SGC1 or a PSA2 for a PSA2, I would consider it. The BB card still has some catching up to do in the mid-higher grades, but there's no denying it has experienced an incredible jump in the past year. A PSA6 nearly eclipsed the $6k mark last night. I'm glad I got my PSA7 when I did. In hindsight, I wish I bought a few more.

Quote:

Old 05-10-2018, 12:57 PM

Default 1947 Bond Bread Jackie

Quote:
So you simply choose to ignore the research that debunks that myth. If memory serves me Kansas City was one of the markets it was distributed in, but either way it's been fairly well documented that BB's were distributed in, at minimum, 13 metropolitan cities across the country. Not sure how that qualifies as a regional issue, or even a glorified regional issue, but I'm not a regional collector.
+1000! Where is it written that a baseball card cannot be considered a player’s true Rookie issue if it was NOT distributed in every US city? That’s utterly absurd! As Dan & Shaun have accurately stated, the 1947 Bond Bread Jackie Portrait card was released in June ‘47 in roughly 13+ MAJOR CITIES. Promo card or not, it’s a BASEBALL CARD widely distributed in 1947. It is Jackie Robinson’s true Rookie card. The “cherry picking” to suggest otherwise borders on insanity.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:58 PM
Guy Bourque

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagerookies51 View Post
Not sure how I missed this post... love these cards. Got my portrait several years ago for just a couple hundred (PSA 1), and one sold via PWCC nearly cracked $1K pretty recently. Wish I would’ve bought a higher grade but oh well. Would be nice if the rest of this set followed that path, but I think they’re unfortunately just too rare
That card resold for $425 ($522 with the juiced and shipped) a month ago in the Love of the game auction, I know I bought it.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:02 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
I have a JR Leaf in SGC 55, so that won't work. Are you interested in selling the BB
Nope.

Or not...
Old 05-10-2018, 01:06 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageclout View Post
+1000! Where is it written that a baseball card cannot be considered a player’s true Rookie issue if it was NOT distributed in every US city? That’s utterly absurd! As Dan & Shaun have accurately stated, the 1947 Bond Bread Jackie Portrait card was released in June ‘47 in roughly 13+ MAJOR CITIES. Promo card or not, it’s a BASEBALL CARD widely distributed in 1947. It is Jackie Robinson’s true Rookie card. The “cherry picking” to suggest otherwise borders on insanity.
Completely agree. Why should we define what is a RC based on some arbitrary concept of geographic distribution? Baseball wasn't available nationally; there were no MLB teams west of St. Louis. Should we consider the PCL a major league because it played where MLB was 1,000 miles away?

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-10-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:21 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Nevermind

Last edited by Gobucsmagic74; 05-10-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:29 PM
Dave_Berg

Quote:
It's an opinion which I've clearly stated may be my own, alone. Thanks for the harsh statements.
Old 05-10-2018, 01:29 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
I can only guess people are trying to protect their investments (1948/49 Leaf and 49 Bowman) which is understandable but funny to me because, as has already been mentioned, those cards (particularly the 1949 Leaf) are iconic and aren't going to lose their value either way. Conversely, imagine what would happen if the PSA registry recognized the 1947 Bond Bread Jackie Portrait as his true RC? Its already exploded regardless, almost completely due to the research provided on this board
Old 05-10-2018, 01:58 PM
Guy Bourque

I love all My Jackie's

IMG_0782 by Guy Bourque, on Flickr
Old 05-10-2018, 02:05 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Ditto:

(Well what did you expect...mainstream cards?)

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-10-2018 at 02:05 PM.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:12 PM
Guy Bourque

Quote:
Ditto:

(Well what did you expect...mainstream cards?)

Those are great , I'm slowly working in his none mainstream cards

Last edited by guy3050; 05-10-2018 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:31 AM
Stephen
Stephen Abb.ondandolo

so basically the verdict of this thread is my log kicked ass? jk
Old 05-28-2018, 11:18 PM
Matt C

I love all of those Robinson's, especially the obscure ones. Here's another very scarce true 1947 Jackie Robinson Pleetwood Slacks rookie year issue, even tougher find than the Bond Bread. Jackie appears really young in this oversized image. This example still has the tab attached on the bottom and PSA has only reviewed 3 of them total. It's available for $1950 if interested.

Last edited by TPGS; 05-28-2018 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 11:26 AM

Default 1947 Bond Bread

Quote:
Originally Posted by EYECOLLECTVINTAGE View Post
so basically the verdict of this thread is my log kicked ass? jk
Let’s just hope that Shaun Fyffe’s extensive research efforts don’t die here, and that a continuous push is made to appropriately redefine Jackie Robinson’s true Rookie card as his 1947 Bond Bread portrait subject. Simply stated, it pre-dates the ‘48/‘49 Leaf by at least a full calendar year, and its vast distribution in numerous major cities solidifies it as a mainstream issue. FYI, this is by no means a “self-serving” push for the 1947 Bond Bread Jackie since I own TWO mid-grade “48 Leaf Jackies. It’s simply a bonafide petition for the hobby to “get it right”!

Last edited by Vintageclout; 05-29-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-29-2018, 12:53 PM

Default Makes sense

Quote:
Let’s just hope that Shaun Fyffe’s extensive research efforts don’t die here, and that a continuous push is made to appropriately redefine Jackie Robinson’s true Rookie card as his 1947 Bond Bread portrait subject. Simply stated, it pre-dates the ‘48/‘49 Leaf by at least a full calendar year, and its vast distribution in numerous major cities solidifies it as a mainstream issue. FYI, this is by no means a “self-serving” push for the 1947 Bond Bread Jackie since I own TWO mid-grade “48 Leaf Jackies. It’s simply a bonafide petition for the hobby to “get it right”!

+1
Old 05-29-2018, 03:55 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. The research conducted and shared by these fellow board members must be commended and, if recent sales are any indication, the hobby has definitely taken notice.