NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-21-2010, 07:08 PM
Chris

Default Are "Flea Market's" dead?

I recently went to a bunch of flea market in the SE Detroit area with my wife and fould a dealer who had a bunch of t206' and 50's Baseball cards. I looked over his card and to my suprise he wanted 2x to 3x auction prices (54 Bowman Mantle $1,000 maby VG). I just dont understand how you would sit in a hole in the wall market charging that much. Does anyone have a good story about finding some cards at a flea market over the last 20 yrs?

-Thanks
Old 09-21-2010, 07:26 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default my neck of the woods

In my neck of the woods most of the antiques are in stores that rent out spaces for folks to sell them. IN the years of looking (maybe the last 10) I have only seen a few beat up T206's for a lot of money. The rest have been 60's and newer cards. Being from near Dallas doesn't bode well for pre-war card hunting. Now, if in the east or west I think folks could have more of a chance of finding something. Maybe someone will chime in... All we have from these parts is the Temple, TX., E105 Mello Mints....(I didn't get this from Texas)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pe105lajoie.jpg (78.3 KB, 357 views)
Old 09-21-2010, 07:48 PM
Glyn Parson

Here in Pennsylvania we have multiple flea markets everyday in the summer and every weekend all year long. Though you can occasionally get lucky at any of them. The best ones are those associated with an antique market or antique coop. Prices range from cheap to multiple times what an item is worth.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:40 PM

Are "Flea Market's" dead?

Another Pennsylvanian here. The answer is "no."
Old 09-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Bill Hedin

Default Our local flea market in Mass

My Dad, Grandfather and I started setting up in the Grafton, Mass Flea Market in the mid 70's. In those formative years we bought great stuff.
From 1980 onward it was a vehicle for my Dad & Grandfather to sell cards
while I ran shows with Mom and Wife, and my cousin ran my store. My Uncle
started doing another flea market in Lowell, Mass mid 80's.
By the early 90's I had decided to consolodate everything to one effort at my shows. The last 20 years have been just shows for us.
We had bought spectacular collections through the flea market in the 70's/early 80's. Other than that the flea markets were a source of sales.
This summer my Uncle decided to set up at a flea market again. We bought nothing because nothing other than 80's/90's stuff was offered. And as for sales, we found out fast that 50 cent or 3/$1.00 cards are what sells. Today's flea market card enthusiasts here wanted new cards of Boston and New York teams. We also sold a tremendous amount of players with Latin and South American Heritage which was interesting. 75% of our buyers were under 25. Times have changed, but it's still a fun outing.

My family loves flea markets and yard sales. However, finding anything before 1980 is a challenge and when you find it the prices are out of whack. Today, flea markets are still popular but they have changed as far as sports items are concerned. When I'm feeling up to it, I love to go to them.

Who has some good stories of recent finds at Brimfield recently?
Thanks,
Bill
Old 09-21-2010, 11:25 PM
Barry Arnold

Default flea

not dead here but no baseball cards and lotsa junk.

best,
barry
Old 09-22-2010, 06:13 AM
Trae Regan

Barry, I'll second that, ole' buddy! I've given up in Central Florida.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:57 AM

I actually found some T207 cards in NC about 4 years ago. The guy was a regular seller of cards and someone walke3d up and offered them for sale to him the previous week. I can't remember what I paid for them but I got a really good deal.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:21 AM
Patrick N.

Default kirb

I picked up a T205 Kirb White at the flea market. I think the lack of shows actually encourages some lower level dealers to set up at the flea market. i live in a very sports-obsessed town (pittburgh) as well so that helps. i also picked up a '58 mantle as (poor) for $2 and almost got a '48 leaf musial for some 70s junk but the deal fell through. so yeah, there is some action at our flea markets. that said, you will see alot of over priced 80s-modern, such as a $5 1990 Daryle Strawberry that I saw and a Cory Snider '87 Topps in some guys display case

Last edited by mintacular; 09-22-2010 at 07:24 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:04 AM
R Dixon

Default .

Flea markets are great in the Houston area si buscas cd's, llantas de su coche, o camisetas que representa la Virgen María.
Old 09-22-2010, 09:26 AM
Tony Gordon

I've noticed that in the last 20 years the prices for cards and sports memorabilia are very high at Chicago area flea markets. Even though I regularly go, I rarely come home with any cards. I definitely find better deals at local card shows.