NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-04-2019, 06:11 AM
Bill Gregory

Default Let's talk baseball and hobby documentaries

Good morning, everybody.

I am sitting here in bed watching HBO's Legends and Legacies series documentary about Ted Williams, which I downloaded from YouTube about a year ago. My efforts to find a physical media copy were fruitless, as it appears that HBO has never released it on DVD. Fortunately, the documentaries they did on Babe Ruth, Joe DiMaggio and Mickey Mantle were made available for purchase; I bought the set containing all three. The PBS American Masters doc on Ted Williams is for sale, however, and I'll be picking that one up after the first of the year.

My reason for starting this discussion today is twofold. One, I never get tired of learning about the game, or our hobby. Ever. I could spend a whole day watching documentaries (and films) about them. I've probably watched Ken Burns' Baseball, from start to finish, no fewer than ten times.

The 'Stache on hour 17 of his baseball documentary marathon.

Secondly, I'm greatly concerned that YouTube as we know it is going to change forever on December 10th. They've made it public knowledge that their ToS will change, allowing them to delete any videos which do not generate income. I don't want to wait to find out just how drastic their server cleansing spree might be, and find the things I used to watch, and enjoy immensely, will disappear forever. Or, that sources of entertainment and knowledge that I might have enjoyed, had I known of their existence, are now lost to me.

Before this happens, I'd like to ask all of you to recommend any baseball related documentaries that I might have missed, especially those dealing with the late Nineteenth Century to the beginning of World War II. I'll look at, and appreciate anything going all the way up to the 1970s and '80s, but the pre-war era is where my greatest interest lies. And, if there are documentaries about our hobby that coincide with this period, I want to see those, too. I have a downloaded copy of the Lionel Carter Collection documentary Mastro did. I know there's more out there, but just need some guidance. I purchased the ESPN 30 for 30 short about the Wagner T206. I've got no problem paying for quality.

I'm looking for baseball documentaries like The Life and Times of Hank Greenberg. Understanding the men that have played the game enhances my enjoyment of these features, just as learning more about Lionel Carter, seeing and hearing him speak about his collection, and his passion for the hobby, enhanced my appreciation for the man, and what he built.

So, before these go the way of the Dodo Bird, and YouTube deletes en masse, I'd be indebted to you all if you help me find some videos to enjoy this morning. Thank you.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:30 AM
Mike Dugan

Bill I am more than a bit prejudiced on this film but The First Boys of Spring released in 2016 is great. It covers the birth of spring training in 1886 when Spalding and Anson brought the Chicago White Stockings to Hot Springs, Arkansas for the first organized spring trip.

The film covers the years 1886 through around 1950 and is narrated by Billy Bob Thornton and Peter Coyote. It won two Emmys for film maker Larry Foley.

There is a great deal of coverage of Ruth, Wagner, Speaker and dozens of other Hall of Famers and their supporting casts. The film has become the rain delay favorite for the Fox regional networks.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:58 AM
Mike

Bill: Here's a great site for DVD's: Doak Ewing site http://www.raresportsfilms.com

Here's a great one: The first 32 minutes of this DVD is the 1934 American League film "Play Ball". Commissioner Judge Landis proudly introduces the film as the first sound film ever produced by Major League Baseball! The star players of the American League are shown, often in instructional segments.
http://www.raresportsfilms.com/1934-35worldseries.html

Note: My dad is in this film, playing ball as a kid in Detroit in the 1930's. He indicated that George Moriarty was filming this segment around Detroit and saw them playing in an empty field in the neighborhood and told them to do various activities.

Also love to watch : Home Run Derby TV Series
Old 12-04-2019, 09:07 AM
Randy

Fear Strikes Out about Jimmy Piersall
Old 12-04-2019, 09:14 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
Bill I am more than a bit prejudiced on this film but The First Boys of Spring released in 2016 is great. It covers the birth of spring training in 1886 when Spalding and Anson brought the Chicago White Stockings to Hot Springs, Arkansas for the first organized spring trip.

The film covers the years 1886 through around 1950 and is narrated by Billy Bob Thornton and Peter Coyote. It won two Emmys for film maker Larry Foley.

There is a great deal of coverage of Ruth, Wagner, Speaker and dozens of other Hall of Famers and their supporting casts. The film has become the rain delay favorite for the Fox regional networks.
+1
Old 12-04-2019, 09:33 AM
CostA Kl@d1@n0s

I love Pride of the Yankees. Must have watched it a million times and Im usually not one for old black and white movies.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:03 PM
Daniel

Default Baseball Time Capsule

Baseball Time Caspsule with Barry Halper

here's a link---
https://youtu.be/nG01x2TL_JE
Old 12-04-2019, 01:20 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

The "When It Was A Game" DVD's/vids are a must.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:48 PM

"There Was Always Sun Shining Someplace" - life in the Negro Leagues.

DVD is available from Amazon
Old 12-05-2019, 03:42 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL View Post
Fear Strikes Out about Jimmy Piersall
I bought the Warner Bros. 4 Film Favorite DVD a while back with Bang the Drum Slowly, Fear Strikes Out, The Pride of the Yankees and Cobb. Curiously, I have yet to watch the first two. I've been searching Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, et all trying to find high definition prints of both. I'll give it a bit more time. If I don't have any luck (I think that TCM will play them in the week leading up to opening day), I'll just break down and watch the DVD copy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac_73 View Post
I love Pride of the Yankees. Must have watched it a million times and Im usually not one for old black and white movies.
The Pride of the Yankees is one of my favorite baseball films, right behind The Natural. I've been pestering the heck out of Criterion to release it on blu-ray. They'd never released a baseball film (at least, not since they started issuing DVDs and blu-rays. I'd have to go through the list of films they issued on laser disc to be 100% sure) until about a year ago, when they did Bull Durham. The copy that TCM has shown a few times looks like it's benefited from a restoration. It's not merely the beneficiary of a new scan, some of the very minor image instability, age spotting and dirt I'd seen previously were removed. So, I'm hopeful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
The "When It Was A Game" DVD's/vids are a must.
Agreed. I've got the HBO blu-ray set, and watch them often. I can't tell you how many times I've wanted to just crawl through the screen to watch the games in person.

Thank you all for the replies. I'll look at the posts about things I have not seen a bit later today when I'm feeling better. I'm going to crash out and let some medications work on me.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 12-05-2019, 04:31 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

HBO is weird. They have produced some of the best sports docs, but either don't release them on dvd/bluray, or they don't make them available via HBO on demand. One of the one's they have available right now is Shot Heard 'Round the World about Bobby Thompson's famous homerun...it's real good.
My favorite though is Ghost's of Flatbush, about the Brooklyn Dodgers. By far the best Dodger doc I've ever seen, and includes an in-depth look at why they moved. Unfortunately, it's rarely available on HBO (many sent emails have gone unanswered), but someone has broken it up in to multiple parts and put them on Youtube. Quality of the youtube version is not great, but it might be worth a look anyway.
Also, I agree with others that have said When It Was a Game is good. Love those as well.
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete
Old 12-05-2019, 04:47 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

By the way, that Cobb movie is the worst sports movie of all time. It's based on the book by Al Stump. Stump has been proven to be a liar and a thief, and he made up most of the book, which totally ruins Cobbs reputation...so much so, that Ken Burns regurgitates some of his crap.
1955 Dodger Autographs...40/43
1934 Gas House Gang Autographs...Complete
1969 Cubs Autographs...Black Cat ticket plus 30/50
1960 Pirates autographs...Complete
1961 Yankees autographs...Complete
1971-1975 A's Playoff/WS roster autos...Complete