NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-08-2007, 08:04 PM
Administrator

Default 1934 Newton Annis Furs - Detroit Team issue

Posted By: leon

I recently picked up this poster and 19-20 of the cards and mailing envelope fo this advertising set. Was there some other information I remember recently about these on the board? This poster confirms who put them out, I believe. I don't think natural fur is politically correct in today's environment but these cards are rather esoteric and cool....I thought folks might like to see the poster...it's about 17x20 and the cards are about 3x5

Old 07-08-2007, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

There was an ebay seller who recently said he had found a poster showing that these cards were distributed by Annis Furs. Until then, I don't think they were associated with Annis Furs. I asked the seller for a picture of the poster, but he didn't respond. Perhaps it's the same poster you now have.

It is strange that the pictures are cropped differently in the poster. Is it possible that Annis Furs simply licensed the same photos as the maker of the cards and actually had nothing to do with the cards?

Old 07-08-2007, 10:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

The Newton Annis building still stands at same location as listed on poster:

http://detroit1701.org/King-Annis%20Building.html

Old 07-08-2007, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

You are definitely correct about the cropping....The cards do look like they are cropped a tad larger than the ones on the poster...Here are a few more...

Old 07-08-2007, 11:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

The cropping in the poster may merely have been a matter of the printer/designer. Likely Annis Furs had an outside advertising company make up the posters.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:39 AM
Administrator

Posted By: MikeU

"The cropping in the poster may merely have been a matter of the printer/designer. Likely Annis Furs had an outside advertising company make up the posters."

I would agree. From a practicality standpoint, the cards were likely cropped in the advertisment, simply to fit within the limitations of the size of the printed ad.

Old 07-09-2007, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

Here is my one and only -- purchased from the ebay seller who said he had a poster:

Old 09-14-2010, 06:35 AM
Jeffrey D. Mohler

Sorry to resurrect this thread. It looks like someone made an offer the seller couldn't refuse on the near set that was ending on Ebay soon. Anyone here win it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/1934-Detroit-Tig...item4aa48bd3d5
Old 09-14-2010, 06:49 AM
Frank Wakefield

I don't see that image of Rogel in the slab anywhere on that poster. Which one on the poster is Rogel? I don't think it's a matter of different cropping on that one, it's a different image.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:01 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default it's there

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
I don't see that image of Rogel in the slab anywhere on that poster. Which one on the poster is Rogel? I don't think it's a matter of different cropping on that one, it's a different image.
It's there, Frank. Look at the top picture on the poster...then at the picture down to his immediate left (as you look at the screen). It's right there.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:03 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Please...no threads titled "Show your Annis."
Old 09-14-2010, 07:06 AM
Frank Wakefield

Thank you.

And my tired old eyes thank you.

I see bats and more on the card. Reckon the card images got cropped so they'd fit well on the poster? The poster's images are about square, unlike the cards.

And a neat thread on a nice card set.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:09 PM
Joe M.

Frank, in the shortstop position on the field in the poster.

Joe
Old 06-02-2012, 02:34 PM
Mike

Default Wilmac Printer of this set ?

I recently won in an auction the "Detroit Tiger Team Issue Set". These were issued with 2 envelopes of 10 cards each. Enclosed in the envelope was the attached card ( see scans). It lists stats from the 1934 season on the back and lists all the World Series results from 1903 thru 1934 on the front. So this appears to be a 1935 issued set not 1934 ( after the 1934 World Series at the earliest). And I believe the printer of the set is "Wilmac Printers" of Detroit. It appears that Newton Annis Furs brought out a poster with 23 players on it. I wonder did they also bring out a set of 23 or just the poster. I know 23 players exist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg detroit tigers issue wilmac printers front.jpg (81.7 KB, 389 views)
File Type: jpg detroit tigers issue wilmac printers back.jpg (81.3 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg tiger photos.jpg (72.9 KB, 393 views)
Old 11-28-2019, 02:16 PM
Doug

This set of all 23 just sold individually by one seller on ebay for a combined total of $3700.00. The highest priced was the Greenberg, $1425.00 and the lowest the Cochrane, surprisingly, $40.00.
Old 11-28-2019, 02:49 PM
Luke Lyon

Man, I just did my periodic search a few mins ago. Wouldn't have won Greenberg, but likely would have won the other HOFers. Bummer.
Old 11-29-2019, 01:39 PM
Dan

I was watching all of these hoping to pick up a few I needed. Prices were STRONG. Looks like others thought so too because there are a slew of new listings that just popped up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Twitter: @grandcards
eBay: GrandCards

Successfull Net54 Transactions
Sold to: jburl;KMayUSA6060;qed2190; CrackaJackKid;LuckyLarry;Tiger8Mush;Moonlight Graham;NateMack;Ricky;Tao_Moko
Traded With: Tim Zwick; G1911; Republicaninmass; MuncieNolePAZ
Bought From: at least 2 dozen different members to-date
Old 11-29-2019, 09:03 PM
bR!@N R0+H

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandcards View Post
I was watching all of these hoping to pick up a few I needed. Prices were STRONG. Looks like others thought so too because there are a slew of new listings that just popped up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I also thought this. Commons, if there is such a thing in this set, sold for over $100.

Very impressed with the Greenberg sale, as I have been fortunate enough to have purchased two of them in my time collecting (not this one)

Greenberg collection
Old 12-04-2019, 06:58 PM
TD

I was lucky enough to get 1 card from that auction. I am down to 6 cards to complete the set with Greenberg being one of them. I wasn't going to drop over 1k for it but good for that seller. The remaining 6 cards that I lost bidding on (Crowder $212, Fischer $172, Marberry $120, Perkins $86, Sorrell $120) may surprise others but not for me. You just do not see these cards come up that often or see them around at shows.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:02 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcitytiger View Post
I was lucky enough to get 1 card from that auction. I am down to 6 cards to complete the set with Greenberg being one of them. I wasn't going to drop over 1k for it but good for that seller. The remaining 6 cards that I lost bidding on (Crowder $212, Fischer $172, Marberry $120, Perkins $86, Sorrell $120) may surprise others but not for me. You just do not see these cards come up that often or see them around at shows.
There’s a Greenberg on eBay right now — bad news it’s a BIN of 10K. Good news is the seller is on this board.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:07 PM
bR!@N R0+H

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
There’s a Greenberg on eBay right now — bad news it’s a BIN of 10K. Good news is the seller is on this board.
It was the one that just sold last week

Greenberg collection
Old 12-04-2019, 07:11 PM
TD

All the best to the seller for asking 10k.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:30 AM
Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcitytiger View Post
Congrats on the one pickup. I was in on Fischer, Doljack, and Hamlin, but had to bow out as prices crept up. I guess I'll just wait and see if another few pop up in the next decade...

Twitter: @grandcards
eBay: GrandCards

Successfull Net54 Transactions
Sold to: jburl;KMayUSA6060;qed2190; CrackaJackKid;LuckyLarry;Tiger8Mush;Moonlight Graham;NateMack;Ricky;Tao_Moko
Traded With: Tim Zwick; G1911; Republicaninmass; MuncieNolePAZ
Bought From: at least 2 dozen different members to-date