NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 09-11-2007, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Default Show us your 1950 Topps Felt Backs

Posted By: John S

An often overlooked vintage football set; most likely due to lack of overall star power and the extremely small size (7/8" x 1 7/16"). JoePa's only card...unfortunately I do not have a Paterno to share.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Michael Blaisdell

Here is JoePa..............

Old 09-11-2007, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

Can someone please post a really large image of Herb Rich from the set. I've never seen one.

Thanks.
Alan

Old 09-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Alan, here's the Rich. I can't post any bigger, photobucket is not cooperating with me right now.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:51 AM
Administrator

Thanks Clint !!!

Old 04-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Sad to report Herb Rich recently passed away:

Herb Rich, a three-sport star at Vanderbilt and defensive captain of the New York Giants when they won the NFL title in 1956, died Friday. He was 79.

Rich died at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, the school said.

Rich spent seven years in the NFL. The Baltimore Colts drafted him in the sixth round in 1950, and he averaged 23 yards on punt returns as a rookie. He won a championship with the Los Angeles Rams in 1951 and was a two-time All-Pro defensive back. He played for the Giants between 1954 and 1956.

He had 29 career interceptions in 65 pro games, including three returned for touchdowns.

Rich, born in Newark, N.J., was an all Southeastern Conference player at Vanderbilt who also lettered in basketball and baseball.

Old 01-12-2016, 10:48 AM
Kin K.

I'm on lunch, so while eating I decided to google "1950 Topps Felt Back" and this thread came up. I've only been on the boards for a few months so obviously I'd never seen this one before. I'd be really interested to see it get kicked back up, though!

The #1 and #2 cards on my "want" list are from this set. The yellow and brown Pete Zinaich cards. I've only seen one yellow available for sale since I started looking back in the late summer. I can't even find an image of the brown.

I only have one card from this set, but I want to pick up some more. It will obviously take time, patience and money. I found this one on eBay for a price I was very happy with.

You Never Forget Your First

davisfront by kekinsley, on Flickr

davisback by kekinsley, on Flickr

I'd love to see what others have!

-Kin
Old 01-12-2016, 09:20 PM
Jeff P

Thanks for bumping this thread, Kin! Love when old threads are resurrected.

I like the Felt Backs a lot. I know many people don't like them because they are small and of college players. But there's some college and pro star power in this set! I've been working on the master set for a long time and haven't completed it yet. Down to just a handful, though.

Have to pull out my cards and do some more scanning!

jeff

Last edited by jefferyepayne; 01-12-2016 at 09:20 PM.
Old 01-13-2016, 12:01 AM
Dan Be$$e++e

Cool issue I knew nothing about.
Old 01-13-2016, 06:17 AM
Jeff P

I think I showed this piece in another thread at some point but it fits best here.

A Topps "Get Well" card with a pack of Varsity Gum on it that includes a Felt Back.

Here is the Felt Back that was in the pack. The glue holding the felt pennant onto the back is gone.

jeff
Old 01-13-2016, 07:15 AM
Kin K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyepayne View Post
I think I showed this piece in another thread at some point but it fits best here.

A Topps "Get Well" card with a pack of Varsity Gum on it that includes a Felt Back.

Here is the Felt Back that was in the pack. The glue holding the felt pennant onto the back is gone.

jeff
Jeff,

Awesome pics and I LOVELOVELOVE that card. I would never think to look for something like that, before now. I see the wrappers from time-to-time and will pick one up eventually. That card is at least on my radar now.

I only have the one of these currently, but I plan to "work" on the set. It will just be an even longer project than my All-American.

I'm curious as to how long you've been working on it and how far along you are on it. Also, have you even ever SEEN the brown version of #100 (Pete Zinaich)? I can only find one yellow for sale and can't even find an image of the brown version.

On your Davis, you mentioned the glue not holding the pennant. How common of an issue is this? There's a 3 card lot on eBay now and the seller mentioned that one of them is peeling. I thought that was a REALLY bad sign, but seeing yours makes me think it's somewhat common.

One final question - do you know of there have been write-ups on this set in the Gridiron Greats magazine? I looked through the available back issue summaries and couldn't find any that had something. I'm trying to collect as much info as I can on this set.

Have a great day!
-kin
Old 01-13-2016, 08:13 AM
Jeff P

Thanks!

One of the things I enjoy is trying to find companion pieces to the cards I collect. Wrappers, promo pieces, ads, giveaways, premiums, etc. make for nice display pieces and complement the cards. When I saw that Get Well card, I just had to have it.

I have a few other Felt Backs where the felt back has come off. You can always just glue them back together if you want. Not sure what kind of glue they used but dry air can dry it out. I left the one that came out of the Get Well card apart so I can show both sides of a near mint Felt Back. You don't see many in that condition!

My checklist says I have the brown and yellow Zinaich BUT, before we all get excited, my checklists have been known to be wrong :-( I usually don't check them until I think I'm done with the set and sometimes find out I checked something off by mistake. My checklist says I need 5 more to complete the master set. All browns or yellows as those are the hardest. When I saw your note about the Zinaich, I made a mental note that I should pull them all out and see where I'm really at. I'll do that sometime soon and post up the brown and yellow Zinaich assuming I really do have them.

My notes say I'm missing the following if anyone has any and wants to help me complete this set:

Hester (Yellow)
Mathews (Brown)
Sitko (Brown)
Staloni (Yellow)
Towler (Yellow)

Here is an image of the brown Zinaich from the internet:
http://www.tradingcarddb.com/ViewCar...a-Pete-Zinaich

I usually don't write articles on sets I haven't completed but just recently was noodling on doing an article for GG on Felt Backs. There has never been an article on the set in GG. I'll need to look through my notes to see where else info on the set has been written up and see what I can pull together.

jeff
Old 01-13-2016, 11:34 AM
Kin K.

Quote:
Thanks!

One of the things I enjoy is trying to find companion pieces to the cards I collect. Wrappers, promo pieces, ads, giveaways, premiums, etc. make for nice display pieces and complement the cards. When I saw that Get Well card, I just had to have it.

I have a few other Felt Backs where the felt back has come off. You can always just glue them back together if you want. Not sure what kind of glue they used but dry air can dry it out. I left the one that came out of the Get Well card apart so I can show both sides of a near mint Felt Back. You don't see many in that condition!

My checklist says I have the brown and yellow Zinaich BUT, before we all get excited, my checklists have been known to be wrong :-( I usually don't check them until I think I'm done with the set and sometimes find out I checked something off by mistake. My checklist says I need 5 more to complete the master set. All browns or yellows as those are the hardest. When I saw your note about the Zinaich, I made a mental note that I should pull them all out and see where I'm really at. I'll do that sometime soon and post up the brown and yellow Zinaich assuming I really do have them.

My notes say I'm missing the following if anyone has any and wants to help me complete this set:

Hester (Yellow)
Mathews (Brown)
Sitko (Brown)
Staloni (Yellow)
Towler (Yellow)

Here is an image of the brown Zinaich from the internet:
http://www.tradingcarddb.com/ViewCar...a-Pete-Zinaich

I usually don't write articles on sets I haven't completed but just recently was noodling on doing an article for GG on Felt Backs. There has never been an article on the set in GG. I'll need to look through my notes to see where else info on the set has been written up and see what I can pull together.

jeff
Jeff,

Thank you for all of the info!

I believe congratulations are in order just by being (hopefully) just five cards short of this set. I do look often on eBay, so I know how rare it even is for a new card to pop up on there. I've been checking auction houses too and they seem pretty rare.

I did completely have a brain fart. I knew that Zinaich brown was on that site. I actually have a screen shot of it that I tweet out once in awhile since it's #1 on my want list.

We do have a lot of shows in this area (typically 2-3 a month), but it's mostly the same sellers and not too much vintage, so it's rare I see anything new to pick up.

I would definitely love to see a piece in the GG magazine. I've bought the last issue and will buy the new one once it's "live." I need to just subscribe instead of ordering one at a time.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:54 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Jeff I have details on this set if you are writing an article.
Old 01-16-2016, 05:05 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
Jeff I have details on this set if you are writing an article.
Thanks David! PM sent.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:26 PM
Jeff P

Well, good news is I have the brown Zinaich! Bad news is I can't find a yellow one so now I need the yellow Zinaich too. All of the rest of the ones I thought I had I found so my checklist is now accurate.

jeff
Old 01-16-2016, 06:47 PM
Be.n C0z1n

This really is an American Classic of a set that doesn't get much attention in the grand scheme of things. Personally I think the Doak Walker is a must have for any real serious collector who wants a diverse vintage football card collection.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:37 PM
Kin K.

Quote:
Well, good news is I have the brown Zinaich! Bad news is I can't find a yellow one so now I need the yellow Zinaich too. All of the rest of the ones I thought I had I found so my checklist is now accurate.

jeff
DOH!!! Now I will have to "compete" against you! HA!

I'll get mine. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but someday.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:42 AM
Jeff P

I coulda SWORN I had that card. Maybe I misplaced it and it will turn up.

In the meantime, GAME ON
Old 04-12-2016, 03:41 PM
Jeff P

Quote:
I coulda SWORN I had that card. Maybe I misplaced it and it will turn up.

In the meantime, GAME ON
BAM! Picked up the Yellow Ziniach plus three others I need for my Feltback Master set.

jeff
Old 04-12-2016, 03:58 PM
shawn

Congrats! WTG
Old 04-12-2016, 04:43 PM
Kin K.

sigh...

Quote:
BAM! Picked up the Yellow Ziniach plus three others I need for my Feltback Master set.

jeff

Last edited by Beansballcardblog; 04-12-2016 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:38 AM
John

Is the brown or yellow more rare or does it vary by card? And does anyone know the reason for the variation? Was one issued before the other? Thanks.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:01 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanksAndSpartans View Post
Is the brown or yellow more rare or does it vary by card? And does anyone know the reason for the variation? Was one issued before the other? Thanks.
I wrote an article on this set for a recent Gridiron Greats Magazine. Did you see it? Was a few issues ago.

Apparently Topps ran out of brown ink during printing and switch that panel of 25 cards to yellow. For a long time it was believe that the yellow version of these cards were more scarce but that has been shown not to be true. Browns are much tougher than yellows to find.

jeff
Old 02-10-2018, 02:40 PM
John

Thanks Jeff! I really appreciate it. I let my GG lapse, I'll pick up issue 58. You call it 1949 - interesting!
Old 02-11-2018, 05:00 AM
Jeff P

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanksAndSpartans View Post
Thanks Jeff! I really appreciate it. I let my GG lapse, I'll pick up issue 58. You call it 1949 - interesting!
Yes, it has been verified that this set was available by late 1949 so should actually be designated by that year. That article talks about some of the proof that this is true.

jeff
Old 02-11-2018, 09:42 AM
Jeff P

One thing I've been puzzling over is which color Topps ran out of when they switched from Brown to Yellow. The obvious answer is they ran out of Brown! But I'm not so sure. We all know Topps was extremely cheap and tried to pinch pennies at ever turn. I would imagine Topps often purchased standard primary colors (that were probably the cheapest options in bulk) and mixed them together to get other colors they wanted for their cards.

In the case of the 1949 Topps Felt Backs, the other three backgrounds are primary colors: Red, Green, and Blue. Brown can be made by mixing a primary color with its complement. The only primary/complement color combo comprised of Red, Green, and Blue that makes both Brown and Yellow are Red and Green. My guess is that Topps ran low on Red ink and reduced the amount of Red in the mix, changing the background color from Brown to Yellow.

Any thoughts on this?

jeff