NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-02-2019, 10:56 AM
Bry@n

Default Help with Victoria Bees RPPC

Can anyone here provide any info about this postcard? The team in the grey is the Victoria Bees, but that is all I have been able to find out about it.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RPPC Victoria Bees.jpg (73.5 KB, 188 views)
Old 12-02-2019, 01:41 PM
David McDonald

Hi Bryan-
Victoria baseball ephemera seems to be very scarce. I live here and I've looked but have rarely seen anything aside from 1911 Obaks. The local team played as the Bees for five seasons (1911-1915) in the Northwestern League. Portland had a team in the league in the 1911 through 1914 seasons. They're the only team whose city name started with a "P" which you can see on some of the uniforms so my assumption is that they are the the players in pinstripes. Might they be the home team? Their uniforms are white; the Bees uniforms are grey. The Bees, to the best of my knowledge, played in those years at Royal Athletic Park just north of downtown Victoria. [I'm not 100% certain. A few years ago I was researching the team via the Victoria Times-Colonist archives (hi, Bruce) and learned that for a period of time there was a leasing problem and they may have played elsewhere]. In any event I have never seen an image of any sort of the ballpark from those days so can't compare the fence or line of houses with anything. The park is still extant (hello again, Bruce) but in a different configuration today as a multi-use facility. I have attached a Google Map view to give you an idea of what is there now. Some of the faces look to be identifiable but no one is popping out at me. It would be interesting to see what some of the billboards say if you're able to crank up the resolution. I am also wondering what exactly the guy with the satchel is holding in his hand. Have also included a team postcard of the 1914 Bees (that's rookie Highpockets Kelly standing tall in the back row if you're keeping score) and a small snapshot of a Vic player with a bee on his sleeve - don't know the year. Maybe Mr Eskenazi can weigh in with some expertise. He knows a thing or two about west coast deadball.

PS Thanks and a tip of the Kawika hat for the heads-up on the Metro Studios set. I was able to win it and another dragon has been slain.

Old 12-02-2019, 02:00 PM
Bry@n

Thanks David!! (And congrats on winning the Metro Studios set!)

I have a better image here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132359...7672452361010/

I will rescan it tonight and post a better picture.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:17 PM
David McDonald

I was mistaken in seeing a "P" on the uniform. Looks more like a "V" which would make it Vancouver. Their ballpark in those days was Athletic Park for which there are more images to be found. The attached colorized photo, although from 1935, shows a similarity with the row of houses. My semi-educated conclusion then is that the photo was taken in Vancouver. As for the year I think the telltale would be the bee on the sleeve. The 1911 Obaks don't show it and the 1914 team postcard doesn't show it either. That leaves 1912, '13 and '15. I'd start with 1915 and try to photo match faces. Some of the mugs are pretty distinctive but I'm still not able to ID anyone. The tall fellow on the right could be Kelly for all I know although I haven't found anything to substantiate that except for he is big and lanky, and I want it to be him. Maybe one of the N54 eagle eyes will be able to help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ScanX - 1 copy.jpg (77.5 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg dainippon.jpg (77.1 KB, 143 views)

Last edited by Kawika; 12-02-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 05:37 PM
Bry@n

Here is a bigger scan of the area with the identifiable stuff.

I uploaded a copy to Flickr too as that has a zoom feature:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/132359...7672452361010/

It looks like the guy is holding a wire garbage can filled with paper. Maybe they were taking collections for someone? Or there was a raffle or contest?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Victoria RPPC zoom.jpg (79.0 KB, 124 views)
Old 12-03-2019, 09:44 AM

Default Bees and Beavers

Hi fellas,

Definitely Victoria and Vancouver players, and I peg it as 1913. I believe that the pinstriped Vancouver uniform with that style V is from that year only. Below is an RPPC image of pitcher Bob Ingersoll in this uniform. It indicates 1913 in period ink on the reverse, and Ingersoll only played for Vancouver in 1913.

I'd agree with Dave that it is likely the Vancouver ballpark, but will dig through other RPPCs and other images to nail it down. I'll also be able to ID some of the players as I spend more time with it, but can immediately recognize Charles Brooks (back row, 4th from right with his head tilted). He was with Victoria 1912-1914. Also, Chief Chouneau, front row, 2nd from left. He was only with Vancouver in 1913.

Also below are a few RPPCs of 1913 Opening Day action at the Victoria ballpark, and one of Northwestern League legend and 1913 Victoria manager Mike Lynch, infamous for "passing" on a young Walter Johnson in Tacoma in 1906.

Dave, I think that your team RPPC is 1915, not 1914, and ol' Highpockets is not present in Bryan's PC. His pro debut was in 1914.

Fun stuff!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vancouver, Ingersoll 1913.jpg (36.8 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Victoria Opening Day 1913, Lynch.jpg (42.0 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg Victoria Opening Day 1913, Lynch II.jpg (77.6 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Victoria Opening Day 1913, Lynch III.jpg (66.6 KB, 89 views)
Old 12-03-2019, 03:55 PM
Bry@n

Awesome, info! Thank you for helping to pin this down. I love turning unknowns into knowns.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:21 PM
David McDonald

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerainiers View Post
Fun stuff!
Indeed!

Neat to see anything related to Victoria baseball. The current Royal Athletic Park is oddly configured to accommodate baseball and other sports like soccer and rugby. I have no idea how the grandstands and ballfield were sited back in the day, whether they were in the same location or perhaps more to the east toward Cook Street. Very few old houses left around the immediate perimeter now and the few I found look nothing like the ones shown in your photos. In the case of Bryan's postcard there is one house with an arrow-like shape that also appears in the colorized 1935 photo. Along with the V's on the uniforms it's what made me think it was Vancouver. As for the year of my postcard you are correct. Saw in my notes that it was in fact 1915, just slipped my brain. Old age will do that to a person. A perusal of the 1913 Van and Vic teams at bbref.com indicates a number of Obak subjects. Don't have the time myself to try to make photo matches but hope you are able to ID some of the players.

Cheers -

DMcD